Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I caved in... now there are two
(16-Nov-2015, 10:52)BowlOfPetunias Wrote:
(16-Nov-2015, 08:38)sleach Wrote: Having a pair of them looks nice in your setup though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funnily enough the first thing my other half said when I explained 'the plan' (or lack of) was - something along the lines of 'but I like the look of these'.

She doesn't see the need for two though.

Yes the other half!  Big Grin Rolleyes Rolleyes Shy
As mentioned in another post, I started with a Phantom and now have 2 Silvers (picked up the second one yesterday). Needless to say the other half has been shocked with the escalating costs. For my part, I am thoroughly enjoying the wide, open, lush, dynamic sound. Sure, for the price there are alternatives, but I'm more than happy to stop tweaking, changing cables, and moving several components and just enjoy the music. Now for those Branches...
(15-Nov-2015, 14:15)BowlOfPetunias Wrote: I've had 3 in as many months - same fault every time, the wifi switches itself off until you reboot it.  I've spent far too much time on the phone to VM going through pointless troubleshooting steps that are just a call centre rep going through a script rather than actual troubleshooting.  If I could use another router I would, sadly of course there's nothing else that can connect to the VM network and I'd rather not put in in bridge mode and have two routers in the study.

YMMV though - I was fine for about a year then the problems started - presumably with a bad raft of software updates thet VM sent out.

I've got the original VM superhub, and have my AirPort Extreme connected to it which disables the internal superhub router.  Now I don't get any problems with my wireless network.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
As a quick update I have had exactly zero problems with the Phantoms so far in stereo.

No dropouts, glitches or weirdness for having a second unit and a Dialog. Worth noting I only use Spark for volume and have a Sonos Connect via optical for all music duties. Sadly the connect can't play at the same time as the rest of the Sonos Play 1 and 5 speakers in the house as the Phantoms introduce delay as a result of the audio processing so it makes them echo when in multiroom mode.
(26-Nov-2015, 23:27)BowlOfPetunias Wrote: As a quick update I have had exactly zero problems with the Phantoms so far in stereo.

No dropouts, glitches or weirdness for having a second unit and a Dialog.  Worth noting I only use Spark for volume and have a Sonos Connect via optical for all music duties.  Sadly the connect can't play at the same time as the rest of the Sonos Play 1 and 5 speakers in the house as the Phantoms introduce delay as a result of the audio processing so it makes them echo when in multiroom mode.

First glitch today but please read to the end.

So I hit play and it sounded like a stylus scratching over the surface of a record.

My IT troubleshooting head came on so I thought rather than rebooting everything and never knowing where the fault lay, lets try and narrow down the offender.  I started by rebooting the Sonos Connect.  A few mins later it was alive again and I hit play, all was then fine.

Moral of the story is that it's not always the Phantoms fault - at least in the case it wasn't.
(15-Nov-2015, 14:30)BowlOfPetunias Wrote: All first world problems I know, out of all the hobbies we could have picked, why did we pick hifi  Big Grin

hifi is nothing.

Try fast cars.
(30-Nov-2015, 20:31)patekswiss Wrote:
(15-Nov-2015, 14:30)BowlOfPetunias Wrote: All first world problems I know, out of all the hobbies we could have picked, why did we pick hifi  Big Grin

hifi is nothing.

Try fast cars.

Or watches judging by your username (I'm a bit guilty there too)