Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I did something silly
As many of you know I have a phantom based HT using dante.  I haven't been satisfied with the bass response when I have Dirac enabled on my processor (JBL).  So I bought a dante to XLR dongle to connect up my old 15" JBL subwoofer.   In order for me to time align the subwoofer, I had to route the dante signal through my symetrix.  While in the symetrix I had a crazy idea of routing the subwoofer output from the processor to all my phantoms and the subwoofer.  Needless to say my experiment was a resounding success!  I have so much bass that I don't know what to do with it.  My wife wants to kill me because the whole house shakes when I watch an action movie. :-).   

One observation is that the subwoofer out on dolby/dts mixes are definitely used and i am missing something while watching movies and having the sub disabled.  

I now wish that devialet made a dedicated subwoofer... :-(
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
Your poor wife and neighbours! Big Grin

And I do know dual subs are even better! Tongue
Haha I can only imagine..

I am wondering, can the subwoofer even bring anything to the table here with the bass of multiple Phantoms?
D200. B&W CM10S2. ROON over AIR for Tidal. Chromecast Audio thru SPDIF for Spotify Connect. Technics SL-1200, Ortofon 2M Bronze. 2x Reactor 600 as desktop monitors. Head/earphones: Denon AH-D5000, Campfire Andromeda S.
I found that it can. Especially if you below 50 Hz. The explosions have more impact and you can feel it in your chest. So for my surrounds I have a pair of reactor 900s and have them added to the subwoofer mapping in the symetrix and I'm equally surprised at how well the keep up with the golds when I'm watching a movie.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
Very interesting, thanks!!
D200. B&W CM10S2. ROON over AIR for Tidal. Chromecast Audio thru SPDIF for Spotify Connect. Technics SL-1200, Ortofon 2M Bronze. 2x Reactor 600 as desktop monitors. Head/earphones: Denon AH-D5000, Campfire Andromeda S.
(18-Jul-2022, 19:48)njaiswal Wrote: As many of you know I have a phantom based HT using dante.  I haven't been satisfied with the bass response when I have Dirac enabled on my processor (JBL).  So I bought a dante to XLR dongle to connect up my old 15" JBL subwoofer.   In order for me to time align the subwoofer, I had to route the dante signal through my symetrix.  While in the symetrix I had a crazy idea of routing the subwoofer output from the processor to all my phantoms and the subwoofer.  Needless to say my experiment was a resounding success!  I have so much bass that I don't know what to do with it.  My wife wants to kill me because the whole house shakes when I watch an action movie. :-).   

One observation is that the subwoofer out on dolby/dts mixes are definitely used and i am missing something while watching movies and having the sub disabled.  

I now wish that devialet made a dedicated subwoofer... :-(

Maybe your wife's wants are not so misplaced?  ;--)