Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IEC contacts fits badly in my 400 amps.
Got som Chord cables that I wanted to use on my D400 but I had no IEC connectors on the cables so I got some that would fit under the cover but I think that they dont fit as they are supposed to do. You feel almost no resistans when you push whem in the sockets and they will almost fall out if you move around the amps.

Any one else that is using similare contacts? I was from the beginning supposed to use a Furutech FI-15 Plus after I saw on the net that it would fit under the cover but when I got one for my first 200 the cover did not fit so I left that idea.

I think it is Martin Kaiser that I got now.

[Image: connecteur-iec-c13-25mm2-plaque-pour-cab...ur-8mm.jpg]

http://www.audiophonics.fr/en/fiches-sec...-7719.html
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

I experience the same on my Devialet 250 (Upgraded D-premier). Used many different connectors but none of them make a tight fit and even sometimes disconnect when moving the amp.
(22-Jul-2015, 20:25)Rob35 Wrote: I experience the same on my Devialet 250 (Upgraded D-premier). Used many different connectors but none of them make a tight fit and even sometimes disconnect when moving the amp.

To me it almost feels like the pins in the IEC inlet are very short so there is not so much for the female part to grab on to, I have some different IEC conectors that I will test to se if they are as bad, the cover wont fit but it will tell me if it is a problem with all IEC connectors or the inlet on the Dev.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system

The Martin Kaiser is probably the tightest-fitting IEC plug I've come across. The connectors in it are all pushed as far forward as they can go aren't they? I think there's only one possible position for them anyway.
(22-Jul-2015, 21:25)Rufus McDufus Wrote: The Martin Kaiser is probably the tightest-fitting IEC plug I've come across.  The connectors in it are all pushed as far forward as they can go aren't they? I think there's only one possible position for them anyway.

For me the fit is not so good, when the plug is pushed as long as it can in the IEC it is still loose so it cn tilt a little to the side.

I tested with my Furutech Fi-15plus and that fits like a charm, really solid connection. One thing that is different with Furutech is that the part of the plug that goes in the IEC is a couple of mm longer than the ohers I tried maybe that makes it a better connection.

Second system

Hmm, that's odd. I've used about 3 or so of these plugs and they've been pretty good for me. Wondering if the contacts are bent a bit inside?
The only drawback I've had with them is the plastic sleeve part doesn't allow for a very thick mains cable but is always just a tiny bit too tight for the cable I use. I absolutely can't use the plug without all its parts though so I end up filing the inside of the sleeve with a round file for about half an hour until it fits. Sad, I know.
My Isotek EVO3 cables don't fit too well either. It's disconcerting to be plugging some signal cables in the back of my D120, and hearing the mains socket crackle when I nudge the mains cable.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
ive not used any except basic male IEC's and furutech and just like octaviars they are snug as a bug in a rug.

if you have after market plugtops not being tight its probably detrimental having them on compared to standard
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
The Furutech FI-15 Plus fits really good but the problem is the cover, it fits but lifts up something like 2mm in the side where the iec is...bummer. But Furutech has a smaller version called FI-15E that is about 3mm smaller in total so that would give around 1,5mm lower on the top...that could work. Looking for a specsheat of it but cant find any, would like to see if the part of the plug that goes in to the iec is the same length as the Plus model.

Second system

My group of 5 local audio guys who get together once a month tested a batch of FIEC plugs a year or so ago and were quite surprised with the results. Any/all full-size high-end/aftermarket FIEC's could easily lift & hold an 11lb/5kg component (a W4S mAMP mono block with 3 symposium acoustic upper feet w/o lower feet/bearings was the test weight). Full size F'tech F!-50, Oyaide and Watt-Gate FIEC's lifted and held fine with no slippage. We could easily pick the mono block up by its power cord/FIEC. Every other OEM cord with a OEM molded FIEC tested was also able to pick up and hold the amp with zero slippage after a couple minutes suspended. However, ALL... yep 100% of the modular DIY FIEC's failed before the component was off the pillows we were testing above. They were F'tech, Oyaide and Cardas. I don't remember model #'s but do know they were all split horizontally around their midline so that two halves could be separated and whatever power cord was on the menu could be used with them. This conveyed to us that DIY FIEC's can NEVER be as strong or have the electrical contact patch grip of a one-piece molded plug be it OEM or aftermarket.

Armed with that I think people have 3 choices they should be looking at FIEC-wise; 1) If you want the best-there-is ya lose the cover and buy the best there is! 2) If you want the next-best electrical contact coupled with most tenacious contact grip and to run the cover, use the Devialet OEM cord or a larger conductor gauge cord than OEM with an integral OEM or spliced-in aftermarket vulcanized/molded OEM FIEC plug and go! 3) If you want an aftermarket FIEC that allows you to run the cover and have exotic plating with a loose/sloppy fit I'd simply ask WHY!?! if your FIEC cord/terminal setup can't easily lift at least 7+lbs/3+Kg's and hold it for a minute or two without slipping away from it's socket I'd suggest looking around a bit... your's is leaking, making Rice Krispies sounds (even if you don't hear it) and leaving unused SQ on the table!

My bet is the IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) has a specification related to grip tension just like NEMA does here in the states that would likely specify somewhere upwards of the 7+lbs/3+Kg's I mentioned above but I just know it would be dry read finding it and I'm not up for that today. Some days ya feel like a nut. Some days ya don't ;-)
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!