Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you had the chance to do it all over again...
Video 
Recently purchased a 140Pro.  I love the Devialet sound.  However, poor understanding on my part means it’ll quickly be swapped out for another unit that has pre-out support.  

My debate internally is a 210 (with pre outs) or a 220 single chassis pro.  

My question to you the beat and brightest is; after reading lots of threads on some of the challenges dual mono owners face, do you love it enough to buy it again?  Or would you instead pursue a single chassis Devialet?
What challenges?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
what challenges?

Devialet 440PRO CI/ Mola Mola Tambaqui + Kalugas / Vivid Audio Giya G2
Cape Town, South Africa
I’ve read on posts here that the configurator has bugs and that keeping them in sync can be an issue.
Yes, the online configurator does have some bugs, but if you know what they are, you can work around it mostly. In truth, you don't have to use the configurator very often. Personally, I have no regrets in going from my 220 Pro to a 440 Pro although I do have times where I wonder if it might have been smarter and definitely cheaper to go from a 200 to a 400.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
If I bought anything other than my Devialet it would be DSP active speakers but they tend to be more suitable for file based music systems which I don't like.
I rather fancied this:-

https://www.genelec.com/film-drama-post/...ive-system

for films and music.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

@RJHD3 - to answer your original question, yes, I am more than happy with my dual mono, I have had zero issues with it. That said, I am aware of the current configurator bugs, and to be honest there are some minor configuration changes that I would like to make, but my current configurations is working just fine, I am leaving this until Devialet fix the bugs.

As for your debate between the 210 Pro and 220 Pro, this is an interesting dilemma. There are some differences in the electronics between the two, and per the link below there is some evidence that even with the extra power excepted, the 220 is the better of the two, it appears to have slightly lower noise. That said, the dual mono units are supposedly superior as the dual mono configuration provides lower distortion.

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Audio-Sc...3#pid92433

This leads to the question, which sounds best? There is no way of answering that one, if possible the ideal approach would be to try them both in your room, with your speakers, and your ears. Maybe this is not possible?

If it was me, with no possibility to audition, I would go for the 220 Pro. (assuming the cost to change is similar) The reason being it should perform more or less the same as the 210 Pro, but with the simplicity of the single box. In addition, the 220 Pro offers a future upgrade path. Who knows, one day in the future you might have some new power hungry speakers, and by then a 220 Pro as a companion might be relatively affordable. Lots of assumptions there, but at least the 220 Pro route provides this option. Another consideration might be if the additional inputs that you get with the dual mono are of any use to you, but this may not be a factor in your case.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Thanks @Confused. Price delta is somewhere around $500, so not all that significant at this level of spending. I think I’ll drill in on finding a 220 Pro as the advice is solid.
(30-Apr-2020, 10:36)f1eng Wrote: If I bought anything other than my Devialet it would be DSP active speakers but they tend to be more suitable for file based music systems which I don't like.

for films and music.

Hello, I'm thinking of changing my Harbeth speakers for Genelec 8351's for more dynamic sound and possible subwoofer and easy room optimization.
I would like to feed the Genelecs with all my sources, LP, analog, Roon and other digital sources.
The digital output of my Devialet 200, pre-amp output, could be (full-range ) via XLR AES\EBU to the Genelec.
So I would reuse the pre-amp side of the Devialet.

Do you think that setup is feasible ?
Do you think the volume could still be controlled by the beautiful Devialet control ?

Thanks,
Jacques    Smile
(07-Mar-2021, 03:58)Jml2155 Wrote:
(30-Apr-2020, 10:36)f1eng Wrote: If I bought anything other than my Devialet it would be DSP active speakers but they tend to be more suitable for file based music systems which I don't like.

for films and music.

Hello, I'm thinking of changing my Harbeth speakers for Genelec 8351's for more dynamic sound and possible subwoofer and easy room optimization.
I would like to feed the Genelecs with all my sources, LP, analog, Roon and other digital sources.
The digital output of my Devialet 200, pre-amp output, could be (full-range ) via XLR AES\EBU to the Genelec.
So I would reuse the pre-amp side of the Devialet.

Do you think that setup is feasible ?
Do you think the volume could still be controlled by the beautiful Devialet control ?

Thanks,
Jacques    Smile 

Looking at the Configurator it says that the AES/EBU is a balanced digital input. There is an option to enable sub/preout but I think this is only available via RCA. If this is the case then it may be possible to buy a converter/adapter for RCA/XLR and a dealer should be able to advise.
The Genlecs have Ethernet connections so it may be possible to link to the Devialet via your LAN and the connection  controlled by Genlecs GLM software but again, a dealer should be able to clarify.

Edit: Looking at the GLM software description it appears that this is for room acoustics compensation so I don’t think it will help in your case.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England