Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inconsistent behavior of the remote's power button
The short press of the power button on the remote is supposed to put the unit into a standby mode, with the display dimly lit. Instead, a couples of times in a row, it shut the unit down (with the display going black), which is expected to happen only with a LONG press of the power button.
Has this issue happened to anyone else? Any idea as to the cause, and the steps to avoid it?
JRiver MC20 --> Devialet 250 Expert Pro --> KEF Blades II
(28-Jun-2017, 14:52)AlexS Wrote: The short press of the power button on the remote is supposed to put the unit into a standby mode, with the display dimly lit. Instead, a couples of times in a row, it shut the unit down (with the display going black), which is expected to happen only with a LONG press of the power button.
Has this issue happened to anyone else? Any idea as to the cause, and the steps to avoid it?

Strange. As you surely know the functions of the remote buttons can be altered.
Maybe resetting all with a brand new download from your configurator. I guess...
Hello AlexS, try the following:
1. Batteries exchange.
2. Place the remote control next to the devialet and test the device (too far away)!
3. There are dust etc. in the remote control.

Here is the link for cleaning the remote control:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hRwBMqYedZQ

It is worth a try Shy
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
(28-Jun-2017, 16:19)K4680 Wrote: Hello AlexS, try the following:
1. Batteries exchange.
2. Place the remote control next to the devialet and test the device (too far away)!
3. There are dust etc. in the remote control.

Here is the link for cleaning the remote control:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hRwBMqYedZQ

It is worth a try Shy

Thank you, K4680.
I'll keep this in mind. It'd strange if the remote required a batteries replacement or cleaning, since it's brand new. But I guess everything is possible.
Sounds to me that the button is a bit sticky and a short press just happens to result in a long contact.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Batteries after the update last a lot shorter. At one moment in time when volume starts to automatically and continuously lower or higher it is time to replace the batteries and the issue is solved. I've had two remotes replaced before they found out it was the batteries and state that as a resolution. Sadly no kidding. I'm awaiting a post of someone blowing up their speakers after the automatic volume level raising happened while not quickly enough responding.

So I would be surprised if indeed a battery replacement would solve this issue too.
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
The button itself feels OK (not sticky). I'll keep the batteries suggestion in the back of my mind. Yet this is not even an upgraded unit, but a brand new replacement one (and all other functions of the remote are perfectly fine). I actually have my own theory, which I'd like to test first, before I waste your time. I'll share it, if I get consistent results.
I always use Duracell batteries. Only once I have only No Name at hand, and after a short time with the range and volume. Duracell, and everything was good again. Smile
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
(29-Jun-2017, 16:26)K4680 Wrote: I always use Duracell batteries. Only once I have only No Name at hand, and after a short time with the range and volume. Duracell, and everything was good again. Smile

OK, you tempt me with the batteries' change so much that I think I'll change them, even if my own non-energy theory turns right. And from now on, I'll only use Duracell for the things that matter Idea (I don't know what the preceding icon really means, but it looked appropriate for the conversation).
So, I think the problem was caused by the combination of sub-optimal positioning of the remote (I adjusted it, to point to the unit), and my using the Devialet microfiber cloth to cover the remote (to protect it from dust), which I never remove. Surprising (or even ludicrous) as this may sound, I think this cloth may weaken the wifi signal. At some point, it was enough for me to slide it forward, to fully cover the front of the remote, for the problem to happen (but since I repositioned the remote, I can't recreate the cloth trick). Anyhow, the problem seems gone.