Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ingrid Fliter - Chopin Preludes (Linn Records)
(25-Oct-2017, 08:43)thumb5 Wrote: David, thanks for pointing out that review; it describes exactly what I'm hearing, although it perhaps puts it more strongly than I would.  Also I hear the "buzzing" when listening at rather low volumes (cf comments to the review).

I had realised that the CD had been (almost!) universally well-reviewed for sound quality as well as performance, so I was really beginning to doubt my sanity.

The most troubling thing is that once you hear something like this it's easy for it to become an obsession, with analysis and critical listening taking over from pure enjoyment of the music.  I do hope I haven't inadvertently pushed you over that cliff!

Ian, I am hanging by my finger tips Angel. Seriously though, I can not say that there is anything that I can hear that is spoiling my enjoyment of the music. I have the 192/24 download, but why that should be any different to your CD - did you say you also had tried a 96/24 download as well - I can not say. All I can say is that the recording is very clear and the upper registers of the piano are detailed, but I can not say that they resolve into a "buzzing" noise, at least not on my set up. 

An approach to Linn might be in order especially given that, it would appear, at least one other has noticed something in the recording Exclamation 

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
Hi guys I have this recording in 24/192. Let me give it a whirl and let you know if I can hear anything.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Thanks, that would be great. As I mentioned earlier, Prelude 15 is where I find this most noticeable.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I'm about half way though "Raindrop" and I have to say it sounds very good?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Hmm. I think David (brit) was using the 24/192 version as well. Maybe that's immune?

My test is usually to listen at low volume (-40 dB or so), really close to the left speaker. In the early part of the prelude I can hear this faint buzz or fizz "riding" on some of the chords. It really does sound quite like a damaged or partly sticking speaker cone, but having heard the same thing on several different systems at home that's not the cause (I'm relieved to say).

Thanks for trying, anyway.
Warwickshire, UK
Talking to Linn Records...will post again here if/when there's anything to add. Thanks again David and Guillaume.
Warwickshire, UK
(25-Oct-2017, 19:54)thumb5 Wrote: Talking to Linn Records...will post again here if/when there's anything to add.  Thanks again David and Guillaume.

Let’s hope that you receive a sensible answer from Linn Confused. It seems very strange that both Guillaume and I do not appear to have an issue, and we are both using 192/24 versions Huh. Why this version should differ is beyond me Undecided.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(25-Oct-2017, 20:20)brit Wrote:
(25-Oct-2017, 19:54)thumb5 Wrote: Talking to Linn Records...will post again here if/when there's anything to add.  Thanks again David and Guillaume.

Let’s hope that you receive a sensible answer from Linn Confused. It seems very strange that both Guillaume and I do not appear to have an issue, and we are both using 192/24 versions Huh. Why this version should differ is beyond me Undecided.

David
Here is a wild theory.  Let’s assume there is no fundamental difference between the music files, you are all running ADH 6 amps / DACs, so what is different?  Maybe Ian’s cat like hearing?  Or maybe a quirk of the Sonos?  The Sonos is my wildcard theory, but it is one fundamental difference in how the music file is delivered, there might just be a difference in digital clocking, filtering or something.  Ian, this might not be an easy thing to try in your set up, I have no idea, but could you try the track via AIR or something else?  Unlikely perhaps, but if it did make a difference to the issue it would be an interesting result.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(25-Oct-2017, 21:52)Confused Wrote: Here is a wild theory.  Let’s assume there is no fundamental difference between the music files, you are all running ADH 6 amps / DACs, so what is different?  Maybe Ian’s cat like hearing?  Or maybe a quirk of the Sonos?  The Sonos is my wildcard theory, but it is one fundamental difference in how the music file is delivered, there might just be a difference in digital clocking, filtering or something.  Ian, this might not be an easy thing to try in your set up, I have no idea, but could you try the track via AIR or something else?  Unlikely perhaps, but if it did make a difference to the issue it would be an interesting result.

It's a good theory, Confused, but the data say otherwise I'm afraid:

(24-Oct-2017, 11:14)thumb5 Wrote: I have the CD, ripped to ALAC, which I normally play from Roon via AIR over Ethernet.  I can also play Roon via USB through an MC-3+ to AES/EBU, iTunes via AIR over Ethernet, or Sonos into an S/PDIF input.  In all those cases I can hear a very faint "buzzing" or "fizzing" sound on top of some of the piano notes.

and

(24-Oct-2017, 11:14)thumb5 Wrote: The real nail in the coffin of that theory was that I still hear the problems when I play the same tracks on my Sonos Play:5, believe it or not.

Following up what I said in that post, I'm now pretty confident that the CD quality, 24/96 and 24/192 samples on Linn Records web site (http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-cho...ludes.aspx) have the same problem.  At least, the ALAC ones do - I haven't tried FLAC.

This is all consistent with what the gentleman on Amazon.com said in the review David linked to.  That's at least giving me some shred of comfort that I'm not making it all up...

PS: Although the Sonos ZP90 is in my signature, most of my real listening these days is done using Roon / AIR / Ethernet, which is working brilliantly.  Sonos usually comes into the picture either when I want to listen to the (Internet) radio, or someone else is using the system - it's so easy to just hand them the Sonos controller and say "you choose!".
Warwickshire, UK
(25-Oct-2017, 22:38)thumb5 Wrote:
(25-Oct-2017, 21:52)Confused Wrote: Here is a wild theory.  Let’s assume there is no fundamental difference between the music files, you are all running ADH 6 amps / DACs, so what is different?  Maybe Ian’s cat like hearing?  Or maybe a quirk of the Sonos?  The Sonos is my wildcard theory, but it is one fundamental difference in how the music file is delivered, there might just be a difference in digital clocking, filtering or something.  Ian, this might not be an easy thing to try in your set up, I have no idea, but could you try the track via AIR or something else?  Unlikely perhaps, but if it did make a difference to the issue it would be an interesting result.

It's a good theory, Confused, but the data say otherwise I'm afraid:

(24-Oct-2017, 11:14)thumb5 Wrote: I have the CD, ripped to ALAC, which I normally play from Roon via AIR over Ethernet.  I can also play Roon via USB through an MC-3+ to AES/EBU, iTunes via AIR over Ethernet, or Sonos into an S/PDIF input.  In all those cases I can hear a very faint "buzzing" or "fizzing" sound on top of some of the piano notes.

and

(24-Oct-2017, 11:14)thumb5 Wrote: The real nail in the coffin of that theory was that I still hear the problems when I play the same tracks on my Sonos Play:5, believe it or not.

Following up what I said in that post, I'm now pretty confident that the CD quality, 24/96 and 24/192 samples on Linn Records web site (http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-cho...ludes.aspx) have the same problem.  At least, the ALAC ones do - I haven't tried FLAC.

This is all consistent with what the gentleman on Amazon.com said in the review David linked to.  That's at least giving me some shred of comfort that I'm not making it all up...

PS: Although the Sonos ZP90 is in my signature, most of my real listening these days is done using Roon / AIR / Ethernet, which is working brilliantly.  Sonos usually comes into the picture either when I want to listen to the (Internet) radio, or someone else is using the system - it's so easy to just hand them the Sonos controller and say "you choose!".

Hi Ian, Yes I suppose that I should clarify that the 192/24 download I am using is FLAC rather than ALAC and I do not appear to have the problem. I can not answer for Guillaume as to whether he has a FLAC or ALAC version of his 192/24 download, but he also indicated that he had no problems?

David
or, as alternative, 

UK