Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting new speaker, looks like it might be a Phantom rival?
I spotted this yesterday, the Syng Cell Alpha.

I have no idea if it is any good, but it is rather interesting.

https://syngspace.com/

https://www.techhive.com/article/3619017...eaker.html
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
It seems they use lots of DSP trickery to make it sound impressive. Does not seem to be an audiophile design (or have an audiophile mode) as there is no mention of that on their site. Can of course still sound excellent. Looks very 'techno' or Daft Punk inspired - girls may not like it Smile
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Sound from everywhere. More a Bose rival then.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Yes, I remember "Direct/Reflecting" from the 1970s. I wonder if they'll attempt stereo from a single speaker?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(16-Jun-2021, 22:26)ogs Wrote: It seems they use lots of DSP trickery to make it sound impressive. Does not seem to be an audiophile design (or have an audiophile mode) as there is no mention of that on their site. Can of course still sound excellent. Looks very 'techno' or Daft Punk inspired - girls may not like it Smile

Yes, it is clearly DSP heavy, plus some other rather trick looking technology.  Quite how this will translate into sound quality remains to be heard.  I too suspect that it will fall someway short of "audiophile" standards, but that is just a suspicion.  I can say that I do find it intriguing, and would love to listen to one (or two) myself.  Time will tell if I ever get the chance to actually hear one for real, but I would be very interested to hear one for myself, I just don't trust reviews much anymore.  I even had thoughts that they might make good rear speakers for my AV surround system, but I fear latency would be too much of an issue.

As for the styling, it is always difficult to judge from the pictures, but I do like the look of the things from what I have seen so far.  I get that kind of vibe that I get for 60's stuff that was trying to look futuristic in the 60's, but now in the actual 21st century future just looks 60's cool.  I can just imagine them appearing in the HiFi scene in "A Clockwork Orange".  I also think Daft Punk are quite good looking too, when in helmet mode at least.

https://filmandfurniture.com/2021/02/the...rk-orange/

Anyway, I decided to perform a truly scientific and objective test on your questionable "girls might not like it" theory.  At the first opportunity that I had to find a girl, I showed them a couple of pictures of the Syng Cell Alpha on my iPad.  I even tried to invoke maximum confirmation bias effect by stating enthusiastically "these look cool don't they" once the pictures were there.  

I was somewhat shocked and disappointed by the response.  "It looks c**p, like a cheap Star Wars robot toy".

Oh well, opinions vary I guess.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Very disappointing indeed! Are you sure you asked the right girls??
Devialetless!
(18-Jun-2021, 14:37)ogs Wrote: Very disappointing indeed! Are you sure you asked the right girls??

No, I am not sure at all.

I have a habit of asking the right girls the wrong things, and the wrong girls the wrong things also.

I have always wanted one of these women with super human hearing.  I was reading about one the other day, apparently she can emerge from the kitchen at the exact time someone has just changed to a more expensive DC cable to his streamer and state;  "Wow that sounds amazing, have you bought a new stereo system?" 

I'd be happy with one who would simply spend a little time in the kitchen;  "Will you turn that bloody racket off, I'm trying to cook dinner here!"

Note this is humor, I am actually a very progressive and considerate type, who enjoys a little cooking himself. (In case anyone happens to be reading this)
Ah... I'm quite familiar with the one who is trying to cook dinner! Even worse, she refuses to use Roon (or any computer based playback really). Says she can't pick music when the physical aspect of jewel boxes vanished.
Devialetless!
(19-Jun-2021, 09:28)Confused Wrote:
(18-Jun-2021, 14:37)ogs Wrote: Very disappointing indeed! Are you sure you asked the right girls??

No, I am not sure at all.

I have a habit of asking the right girls the wrong things, and the wrong girls the wrong things also.

No wonder you are "Confused"! lol
Audiolab 6000CDT, Innuos Zenith MK II, Roon, Synology NAS, D250 Pro CI, Graham Audio Chartwell LS6f, Thorens TD-160, Pickering XV-15 1200e