Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting placement test for small rooms....reversed orientation
The finest sound speaker in my small listening room has been a bipole speaker.  It greatly expanded the soundstage and depth when the speakers is nearfield to me.  Phantoms are obviously monopole - and near field, I find them a bit too focused/forward.  For kicks, I turned it around and pointed it about 1.5 feet/0.5 meters inside of the corner of the room.  I then pointed it straight at the corner.  Preferred the corner angle.   I presume I am still getting the bass direct but the trebles and mids late - and presumably out of phase.  My wall is blank in this manner for maximum reflection.   I can now move the speakers 5 feet from the wall and very close to me. 

Interestingly, for me it works.  The soundstage is now very large and sounds like it is coming from near the wall.  And closing my eyes, I absolutely cannot place the speakers even when I intentionally move it very close to me - 3 feet/1meter away.  Everything sounds like it is placed at the back wall. Since there are no rear ports, this is works.  

I am surprised that the imaging still feels quite precise and centered.  I don't hear it as coming from the corners.   Of course, the speakers are not as pretty to look at but this is an interesting experiment for a different presentation. No, not something I'd keep permanently but an interesting experimentation for now.

I know, wacky enough to get me tossed from this forum...Smile
Sounds like a Bose 901 setup to me Smile
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Oh no.....not Bose......Smile