Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interim streamer options
Hey everyone.

Just got the news that the Dialog I ordered won't ship until mid-late March. Sad face.

So I am currently looking at an interim streaming option u too then or even use if it's good enough!

My current setup is a Mac Mini rubbing Windows 7, JRiver and JRemote but I find it a little cumbersome. Especially now I've signed up to Tidal, I mainly play through AirPlay through my iPhone to an airport express and optical to my Devialet 120 (to PMC Twenty.23's).

However, the AirPlay sounds thin, quite hard, especially sibilance on vocals / radio thus not overly enjoyable. But I like its simplicity.

So I'm looking at:

- Sonos connect (magna Ultimo)
- Bluesound node
- Naim (uniti qute 2 for example or ND5 XS)

Any more recommendations under £1k that can do Spotify, Tidal, Internet radio, NAS / UPnP??

Also, will these sound better than my current AirPort Express via optical or is there something else going on with my rig?

Ta,
Stuart
You have to seriously consider Auralic Aeris, Aurender X and North series.

Also Cambridge audio has Stream Magic 2 and layer they will launch their flagship 851N. The downside here is that you pay for the built in DAC which ideally you don't need as it is expected to use devialet built in DAC

Also the best in terms of integrating all streaming services you can think of would be NAD M50 and as it belongs to the matter series it is expected to sound very good though I have not tried it myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
If its temporary ?i would go for a used logitech touch ,lms is better Then ever
Roon Nuceleus + Core/Tidal > Rood Ready wired ethernet > Keces P8 LPS > EtherRegan switch > D250 PRO > Sonus Faber Cremona M
Nordost Frey 2 Power cable - Blue Jeans Speaker Cables - Audioquest Diamond and Supra cat8 ethernet cables
Other: Ipad air with ROON Control / Pro Ject ground base - ISO Acoustics Orea - Herbie Tenderfoots 
"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
I would like to recommend the Oppo BDP-105D, which you can use for both playing hi-res music and blueray movies, SACDs, and all kinds of formats.

It has won a Brutus award for 2014:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue77/brutus_14.htm

I use it in two ways:
- connected via a coaxial cable to the master unit of my D400 to play hi-res music up to 192 kHz, where the decoding is done in the Devialet

- connected via RCA interconnects to the Devialet for playing DSD and SACDs, and movies (decoded in the oppo and converted to analog there)
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
Hello Stuart,

Predictably, I'll vote for the Sonos Connect.  I don't have first-hand experience with the Magna modification (I recall Charlemagne on this forum has one?) but certainly with the W4S mod I'd say it offers pretty good sound quality for the money and should do what you asked. Oh, assuming you're in the UK, maybe Tidal isn't quite there yet, but on the way?

If you're looking for something short term, there's a healthy market for Sonos kit on eBay (by which I mean I don't think you'd lose much if you wanted to sell a Connect when your Dialog arrives).

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(19-Jan-2015, 10:24)thumb5 Wrote: Hello Stuart,

Predictably, I'll vote for the Sonos Connect.  I don't have first-hand experience with the Magna modification (I recall Charlemagne on this forum has one?) but certainly with the W4S mod I'd say it offers pretty good sound quality for the money and should do what you asked.  Oh, assuming you're in the UK, maybe Tidal isn't quite there yet, but on the way?

If you're looking for something short term, there's a healthy market for Sonos kit on eBay (by which I mean I don't think you'd lose much if you wanted to sell a Connect when your Dialog arrives).

Ian

I fully agree with Ian. Go for a Sonos Connect and have it modified. It's really worth the money. Last year I have organised a shootout on a Dutch forum between the standard Connect and the Magna Hifi Ultimo mod and the German mod of 'Herr Dokter' Gert Volk. The Magna mod was the clear winner. It sounded way better then the unmodded Sonos Connect. 

Magna Hifi is offering a free test at home before you decide to buy a mod.

The user interface is a no brainer, all kind of music services are available (Qobuz, Spotify, Deezer etc., internet radio and Tidal is coming). And there's also the argument of easy reselling. Altough I have never sold mine; I still do use it for internet radio, Spotify and when I'm not in the mood for all the fuzz of other streaming alternatives like HTPC and JRiver. Cheers, Charlemagne 
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
Thanks guys. I've emailed Magna at the weekend to see if I can borrow their Sonos connect "Ultimo" and see how I get on.

I was also looking at perhaps fixing the issues I'm having with my AirPort Express (becuase it's super simple, which I like)... and try reclocking the output through something like the Wyred4Sound Remedy... https://wyred4sound.com/products/digital...-reclocker

Has anyone had any experience with this? I was also thinking if I get a Remedy, then if I go down the Sonos route, I can just re-clock the output from the Sonos like the Magna mod is essentially doing. One more box for sure, but more flexible perhaps.
What part of JRiver and JRemote is cumbersome? Seems a waste of money to buy a temporary solution when you might have the best remote control out their beside iPeng.
JRiver has no Tidal integration (or Spotify or any other online cloud streaming/online radio service).
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Another option would be to get any decent streamer with digital out and AirPlay support then use whatever streaming service you want via your iPad or iPhone. Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, Deezer they have excellent iPad apps

One the comes to mind is Denon NP720 or Pioneer steamers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE