Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Internal DSP processing 24/96?
I read somewhere that SAM and other DSP processing is always in 24/96. It can be fed 24/192 but will downsample and thus why 24/96 is recommended.

Any truth to this?
I do not know, but 24/96 was the recommendation even before there was an on line configurator and before they started work on anything like SAM, so whilst they may indeed do SAM and other processing in 24/96 it was already the Devialet recommendation and default anyway.
All 192/24 gives is double the file size and an octave of sound between 48kHz and 96kHz. I can't hear that so it doesn't worry me not to have it Smile
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I also wonder about this. In his rewiew of the 400 Jeff Fritz says that "...accepting all resolutions up to 24-bit/192kHz, which are then upsampled to 384kHz."

Is this correct? Does anyone have info from Devialet on what is actually done to the signal inside the amps? Not much point in upsampling to 384kHz if only 96kHz coming out after DSP. I believe I have read somewhere that the D-Premier upsampled to 192000, but that is many firmware releases ago.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(29-Dec-2014, 21:49)ogs Wrote: I also wonder about this. In his rewiew of the 400 Jeff Fritz says that "...accepting all resolutions up to 24-bit/192kHz, which are then upsampled to 384kHz."

Is this correct? Does anyone have info from Devialet on what is actually done to the signal inside the amps? Not much point in upsampling to 384kHz if only 96kHz coming out after DSP. I believe I have read somewhere that the D-Premier upsampled to 192000, but that is many firmware releases ago.

Devialet indicate 384kHz over-sampling for the 400 right on their site. No mention on what the 200 does on it's own.
(29-Dec-2014, 22:42)Dr Tone Wrote: Devialet indicate 384kHz over-sampling for the 400 right on their site. No mention on what the 200 does on it's own.

You are right. I've found it. Would be surprising if the 200 and 250 does not do the same. It is mentioned as part of 'Magic wire' configuration. DSP is 192kHz 40 bits for all models.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(29-Dec-2014, 23:21)ogs Wrote:
(29-Dec-2014, 22:42)Dr Tone Wrote: Devialet indicate 384kHz over-sampling for the 400 right on their site. No mention on what the 200 does on it's own.

You are right. I've found it. Would be surprising if the 200 and 250 does not do the same. It is mentioned as part of 'Magic wire' configuration. DSP is 192kHz 40 bits for all models.

Having 2 units in the 400 and 800 doubles up the processing power per channel allowing for the over-sampling I guess. It would seem that 192kHZ would be the logical number for a single unit.
Whether there is or isn't internal oversampling normally only depends on exploiting how the actual DAC in the device works and the reconstruction filter chosen. More bits gives more freedom for DSP calculation accuracy so internally the more bits the better, in principle, but since I believe there are no domestic analogue electronics better than 20 bit (amplifiers normally nowhere near this) and LPs are 11 bit and FM radio 14 bit, more than 16 bit for actual playback has been considered unnecessary for decades, technically (but not for convincing marketing, it would seem).
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Hi,

Each unit in mono has its own DAC of course hence Dev claim all the advantages with lower noice etc including the doubled sampl freq. When I asked Dev about this they told me that I should ignore it and that was a faulty info on the page. But, as it is more than half a year now and nothing changed in the information about the D400/D800 I guess it is not faulty, or?
Any way it is just numbers and no doubts the monos sound better than the stereo ones because of other reasons.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK