Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Internet switches
I need to buy a new internet switch.  This is for the simple reason that I now need a box with at least 7 connections, my current box has 6.  I am wondering what is the best type to go for between managed and unmanaged switches?  (This is not my area of expertise)  My priority is to get AIR Ethernet as stable as possible.  I have been getting the odd drop out recently, which is strange because in the past I more or less had zero drop outs and I have made no major changes to my set up.  It is a bit of a long shot to think that a new switch will solve this issue, but I need to replace anyway.

The current switch is connected to normal domestic kit, smart TV, Tivo box, Blueray player, Devialet etc.  it is in a simple set up, where the router is hard wired to a switch box, to the kit mentioned above.

Any advice or recommendations?
(07-Mar-2015, 18:34)Confused Wrote: RI need to buy a new internet switch.  This is for the simple reason that I now need a box with at least 7 connections, my current box has 6.  I am wondering what is the best type to go for between managed and unmanaged switches?  (This is not my area of expertise)  My priority is to get AIR Ethernet as stable as possible.  I have been getting the odd drop out recently, which is strange because in the past I more or less had zero drop outs and I have made no major changes to my set up.  It is a bit of a long shot to think that a new switch will solve this issue, but I need to replace anyway.

The current switch is connected to normal domestic kit, smart TV, Tivo box, Blueray player, Devialet etc.  it is in a simple set up, where the router is hard wired to a switch box, to the kit mentioned above.

Hi there Confused,

I use an 8 Port TP-Link. Has proved to be very reliable - it is unmanaged and plug and play. Following link might be helpful.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-SG108...et++switch

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
Unless you're going to use the features of a managed switch then you may as well go unmanaged. I have a TP-Link 24-port managed switch, largely as I was going to try some funky stuff with VLANs but the experiments didn't work and I really don't use any of its features! Cheap though, and reliable.
+1, no need to buy a managed switch
I just purchased a switch myself, went for a small Asante 8 port switch. Found a pre-loved model for very little money on the local classifieds.
Seems well built, metal casing and is small.

Perhaps check the local classifieds for a good deal, if you do not mind buying used.
Naim NAC-N 272 ➣ Naim XPSDR ➣ Naim NAP 200DR  ➣ Kudos Super 10 ➣ Siltech Explorer 90L  (Montreal, CA)
Just a suggestion. If Priority is AIR, do you want to consider browsing Apple Airport Express ?

Can ETH to D and can Internet too. This will also do AIRPLAY from iDevices to AE->-toslink->D
in somewhere in D manual, they kind of comment AE as they simply work and less hassle with the setup if you have iDevices.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
I use a airport time capsule today ,but i can see companies like Linn propose you should use a gigabit switch

Did buy a HP 1810-8G v2 after reading some forums and advices ,but haven't implemented it yet
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX51964

acc to Linn, is the best solution to introduce a dedicated switch that DS and network disc is coupled up with

http://www.hifisentralen.no/forumet/atta....39.31.jpg
Roon Nuceleus + Core/Tidal > Rood Ready wired ethernet > Keces P8 LPS > EtherRegan switch > D250 PRO > Sonus Faber Cremona M
Nordost Frey 2 Power cable - Blue Jeans Speaker Cables - Audioquest Diamond and Supra cat8 ethernet cables
Other: Ipad air with ROON Control / Pro Ject ground base - ISO Acoustics Orea - Herbie Tenderfoots 
"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
(07-Mar-2015, 18:34)Confused Wrote: The current switch is connected to normal domestic kit, smart TV, Tivo box, Blueray player, Devialet etc.  it is in a simple set up, where the router is hard wired to a switch box, to the kit mentioned above.

It often recommended to separate the hifi components from others using one or more switches. Could you Do that in your system?

I use a 5 port Netgear GS105 which works fine - they also make an 8 port model - GS108
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Thanks for the feedback. I guess the key to my question was whether or not it was worth getting a managed switch, and somehow prioritising the Devialet via AIR Ethernet. I was half expecting some IT language heavy responses that I didn't fully understand! Although it looks like a rather simpler answer, "no". Thinking about my set up, if I am streaming to AIR, then the chances are that all other devices running off the switch box will be idle. I don't watch IPlayer on the smart TV at the same time as streaming music, for example. So it looks like a cheap and cheerful TP link type device is all I need. It is easy to get carried away with these things though!
(08-Mar-2015, 11:30)Confused Wrote: Thanks for the feedback. I guess the key to my question was whether or not it was worth getting a managed switch, and somehow prioritising the Devialet via AIR Ethernet. I was half expecting some IT language heavy responses that I didn't fully understand! Although it looks like a rather simpler answer, "no". Thinking about my set up, if I am streaming to AIR, then the chances are that all other devices running off the switch box will be idle. I don't watch IPlayer on the smart TV at the same time as streaming music, for example. So it looks like a cheap and cheerful TP link type device is all I need. It is easy to get carried away with these things though!

If you use a 100 or 1000 MB unmanaged switch you would have to try very hard indeed to swamp the amount of info a 24/192 music file would require for clear transmission. Also the network controllers at each end would sort out any problems with lost packets. The 1 to 2 second delay on the Devialet before music starts on the AIR system allows any errors like this to be sorted.
There is nothing cheap and cheerful about TP Link stuff I recommend their switches and routers to all my home clients but for any SMB's I always use Vigor.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers