Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is getting 3 reactors and 2 reactors custom the easiest way for a 5.1. surround?
Hello, I am new to the forum.

I read many threads about using Reactors or Phantom for a 5.1 surround setup and all the challenges that come with the setup including the extra cost of converters like Dante, 
I was considering the following solution for a Devialet surround setup (excluding the .1. subwoofer)

Use three reactors for the Left, Center and Right front channel. Connection via the analog input as they are close to the surround processor so an unbalanced cable should be fine.
Then you get two Reactor custom that have a balanced input and you use them as surround L & R. That way the balanced cable can be longer without notable losses of quality or interference as it is balanced.

Is this a crazy idea?

Pros
  • Easier to set up, pretty much as any traditional surround system
  • Surround processor does the job of processing the signal, setting up the surround space an controlling the volume
  • cheapest solution, 
  • No extra dongles and conversion to Dante and back to optical, for example.
  • Still use the wireless features of the front L&R Reactor for stereo sound and music streaming
  • No latency as they are connected via an analog cable?
Cons
  • Cannot use the Phantom as they do not have an analog input
  • Still need a subwoofer for the .1 channel
What do you think?

Mario
Surround preamp: Integra DTC 9.8 Speakers: Devialet Phantom II Custom, Streamer/DAC: Volumio Primo, TV: LG 55EF950V 
The Reactor latency may give lip sync issues in your suggested setup. Can the XMC-1 delay video?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(12-Jul-2020, 13:27)ogs Wrote: The Reactor latency may give lip sync issues in your suggested setup. Can the XMC-1 delay video?
Thanks!

Yes the XMC-1 can delay video

Mario
Surround preamp: Integra DTC 9.8 Speakers: Devialet Phantom II Custom, Streamer/DAC: Volumio Primo, TV: LG 55EF950V 
I'm not into MCH or video, but I think your intended setup with Reactors should work. Is there MCH Dirac in the XMC-1 too?
The Reactor has very good bass response. With five of them you may even be able to drop the Velodyne provided you can add the bass output to Reactors in stead.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(12-Jul-2020, 12:52)mcallega Wrote: Hello, I am new to the forum.

I read many threads about using Reactors or Phantom for a 5.1 surround setup and all the challenges that come with the setup including the extra cost of converters like Dante, 
I was considering the following solution for a Devialet surround setup (excluding the .1. subwoofer)

Use three reactors for the Left, Center and Right front channel. Connection via the analog input as they are close to the surround processor so an unbalanced cable should be fine.
Then you get two Reactor custom that have a balanced input and you use them as surround L & R. That way the balanced cable can be longer without notable losses of quality or interference as it is balanced.

Is this a crazy idea?

Pros
  • Easier to set up, pretty much as any traditional surround system
  • Surround processor does the job of processing the signal, setting up the surround space an controlling the volume
  • cheapest solution, 
  • No extra dongles and conversion to Dante and back to optical, for example.
  • Still use the wireless features of the front L&R Reactor for stereo sound and music streaming
  • No latency as they are connected via an analog cable?
Cons
  • Cannot use the Phantom as they do not have an analog input
  • Still need a subwoofer for the .1 channel
What do you think?

Mario
Hey There!
Based on my understanding your idea should work.  The only question I have is whether the latency settings of the regular reactors and custom reactors will be same... I think you may need to ask Devialet and get clarification.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
(12-Jul-2020, 20:32)ogs Wrote: I'm not into MCH or video, but I think your intended setup with Reactors should work. Is there MCH Dirac in the XMC-1 too?
The Reactor has very good bass response. With five of them you may even be able to drop the Velodyne provided you can add the bass output to Reactors in stead.
That is an excellent idea!

The XMC-1 has an enhanced bass mode.
" When Enhanced Bass is enabled on the XMC-1, bass from the LFE channel is routed to your subwoofer (or subs), bass below the crossover frequency of any speaker you have configured as small is also routed to your sub or subs, and bass from any channels you have configured as large is routed to the intended main speaker.

IN ADDITION, bass below 80 Hz from the LFE channel is also routed to every speaker you have configured as large (except the center channel), and bass below 80 Hz from all main speakers configured as large (including the center channel) is also routed to your sub or subs."
(13-Jul-2020, 21:37)mcallega Wrote:
(12-Jul-2020, 20:32)ogs Wrote: I'm not into MCH or video, but I think your intended setup with Reactors should work. Is there MCH Dirac in the XMC-1 too?

" When Enhanced Bass is enabled on the XMC-1, bass from the LFE channel is routed to your subwoofer (or subs), bass below the crossover frequency of any speaker you have configured as small is also routed to your sub or subs, and bass from any channels you have configured as large is routed to the intended main speaker.

IN ADDITION, bass below 80 Hz from the LFE channel is also routed to every speaker you have configured as large (except the center channel), and bass below 80 Hz from all main speakers configured as large (including the center channel) is also routed to your sub or subs."

Confirmed with the Emotiva customer support: "you would need to go into the speaker setup and set the subwoofer field to "none". In this configuration, the LFE channel would be routed to any speakers set to "large".
(13-Jul-2020, 23:09)mcallega Wrote:
(13-Jul-2020, 21:37)mcallega Wrote:

Confirmed with the Emotiva customer support: "you would need to go into the speaker setup and set the subwoofer field to "none". In this configuration, the LFE channel would be routed to any speakers set to "large".

Latest news after having spoke to Devialet: They suggest to get 5 Reactor custom as you will avoid all the latency issues. Plug them directly via the balanced input (or Dante) and you are done. Mario