Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it worth it to upgrade from 250 to 250 PRO Infinity Core?
Hi Guys ! 

I have a 240 that was upgraded to 250 a while back , and I have been debating if I should upgrade it to 250PRO + Infinity core , the cost is $6495 
which is not all that cheap compared to what I can probably sell the 250 for nowadays, should I sink more $$ into the unit ? 

Or ? I am considering to sell it and go to the MSB Singature DAC IV with boulder amp ,,, or even something else ( which I do love the 
one box design of Devialet , ) but I also wanted to explore another system 

My ideal system IMHO will be to have a MINIDSP Diraclive and connect eg a Meridan 218 MQA endpoint , then to the MINIDSP (DIRAC live 
correct it first) then output via AES to Deviaelt ( or MSB) 

I always felt that room correction can do more wonders then buying more expensive cables or equipment, since if you have a -8~10 db on certain 
frequency , then .. you are -8~10 db short ... 

Any advice will be highly recommend  : ). 

Thank you. 

Jackson
Not quit straightforward to answer that question! I own a 250Pro CI and find that it sounds very good. Clearly better than how I remember 240/250. I believe the 250Pro CI is in the same league as 440 (Pro CI) sound vice. I prefer the 'one-box' approach, but those owning a 440 would probably prefer it to the 250 because of the advantages dual mono gives.
If the new SHD units from miniDSP get proper RAAT support (in Volumio) that would be a very good. I think that even your non CI 250 would work very well in such a combination. Are you using firmware 10.1.0 on your 250? I use room correction too. Convolution in Roon with Audiolense filters. It really does wonders!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(06-Dec-2018, 15:43)ogs Wrote: Not quit straightforward to answer that question! I own a 250Pro CI and find that it sounds very good. Clearly better than how I remember 240/250. I believe the 250Pro CI is in the same league as 440 (Pro CI) sound vice. I prefer the 'one-box' approach, but those owning a 440 would probably prefer it to the 250 because of the advantages dual mono gives.
If the new SHD units from miniDSP get proper RAAT support (in Volumio) that would be a very good. I think that even your non CI 250 would work very well in such a combination. Are you using firmware 10.1.0 on your 250? I use room correction too. Convolution in Roon with Audiolense filters. It really does wonders!

Dear OGS

Thank you for your advice, so what difference do you hear between the 250PRO vs 250? 
I am driving a pair of old JBL 4315 and planning to drive a 4343 down the road. 

I am on the 10.1.0 , can you show us how to use the room correction on that ?
(06-Dec-2018, 15:43)ogs Wrote: Not quit straightforward to answer that question! I own a 250Pro CI and find that it sounds very good. Clearly better than how I remember 240/250. I believe the 250Pro CI is in the same league as 440 (Pro CI) sound vice. I prefer the 'one-box' approach, but those owning a 440 would probably prefer it to the 250 because of the advantages dual mono gives.

I also see that you are using the MUTEC ,,, how do you like it ? do you think that it could work in our DEVIALET combination as well ? 
I think I am also going to stick with the Roon route as well.
Basically so lets say
1. Mac mini / ROON - > SHD -> MUTEC -> DEVIALET
2. Mac mini / ROON ->Mutec -> SHD -> DEVIALET

maybe this will work ?
Difference between a 250 and a Pro CI is better clarity and detail retrieval in the new model. The overall character is the same though. I love what the Mutec does. I would definitely put the Mutec after the SHD Studio, and yes it would work well in your setup. When it comes to room correction you'd do that in SHD/Dirac. As Dirac does not allow for it's filters to be exported (and used in the Roon convolver for example) a device like the SHD is necessary. Devialet could do convolution in the DSP of the amp as there is enough processing power, in particular with the new CI board (which is a Linux computer) but they do not want to for some reason.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I did a direct comparison of a 250Pro against a 250CI (I happened to have both for a brief while), and found that the upgrade was significant in terms of sound quality. I agree with ogs description of the difference: more transparency and resolution, essentially. In fact, it was a more noticeable difference in my system than going from the 250CI to the 1000CI. Now whether it's worth the upgrade price is harder to judge, given all the other options out there. In my case, keeping a minimal number of boxes was a priority, so I found it worthwhile.

Also, for what it's worth, I tried the room correction path (Dirac) and found that the added complexity just wasn't a good fit to a hobby that's supposed to be about relaxation and music appreciation. I got where I needed to be with careful speaker placement and minimal room treatments. But your mileage may vary. :-)
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.
(10-Dec-2018, 17:27)flohmann Wrote: I did a direct comparison of a 250Pro against a 250CI (I happened to have both for a brief while), and found that the upgrade was significant in terms of sound quality. I agree with ogs description of the difference: more transparency and resolution, essentially. In fact, it was a more noticeable difference in my system than going from the 250CI to the 1000CI. Now whether it's worth the upgrade price is harder to judge, given all the other options out there. In my case, keeping a minimal number of boxes was a priority, so I found it worthwhile.

Also, for what it's worth, I tried the room correction path (Dirac) and found that the added complexity just wasn't a good fit to a hobby that's supposed to be about relaxation and music appreciation. I got where I needed to be with careful speaker placement and minimal room treatments. But your mileage may vary. :-)

Awesome ! thank you for the feedback bro ,,,, 
I think I am sticking with the Dirac route, so basically I am putting a MINIDSP SHD STUDIO in front of Devialet , all source goes to SHD , after the EQ , AES out 
directly to the DEVIALET , because I think if its really hard for a room to get the flat response, if there is a 10db dip or peak... then you either have to tune it to sacrifice another frequency to comp for that, what you can't hear due to a dip , you can't hear is my theory around this, so I am going to give that a try and circle back to report. 
especially I feel since we are tuning on the digital portion first , and then letting DEVIALET doing the DAC work, its should minimize the negative effect, so its going to D->D-> A     , not D->A->D->A    I thin it should work the magic ! lets see how it goes !