Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there an audible difference streaming files from a NAS compared to build in SSD?
Hi,

is there an audible difference or other things to gain when streaming flac files from a NAS using roon rock (NUC build into akasa silent case) to the Devialet compared to when you store the music files on a (large) SSD build into the roon rock machine itself and play them from there to your Devialet?
Devialet 250 Expert Pro / Nordost Valhalla Bi-Wire / Sonus Faber Olympica II
Anthem MRX 710 / B&W MT-60D
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components
I would have thought that the SSD would run quieter, cooler and more reliably. There should be no difference in the output from Roon to your Devialet.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal.
(26-Aug-2020, 11:47)Bartype Wrote: Hi,

is there an audible difference or other things to gain when streaming flac files from a NAS using roon rock (NUC build into akasa silent case) to the Devialet compared to when you store the music files on a (large) SSD build into the roon rock machine itself and play them from there to your Devialet?

Not sure if there is a clear answer to your question.

Imo the impact on SQ will depend on the quality of the components in the signal chain (NAS, Switch, NUC, etc.) and the possible negative influence of component induced "noise" of multiple sources. One could make the simple assumption that less sources of noise in the chain would automatically result in better SQ, but I have personally had set-ups, and listening experiences, which are the opposite to that logic.

Convenience and "ease of use" are also sometimes underestimated when considering the listening experience. If you have to power-on numerous components prior to listening and then deal with the occasional (or frequent) quirks in stability related to more complex signal chains, then the enjoyment of just listening to music can be spoiled quite quickly.

Just my subjective opinion but hope it helps ...
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
Both SSDs and hard drives do the same job: They boot your system, and store your applications and personal files. But each type of storage has its own unique feature set.
Hard drives win on price and capacity. SSDs work best if speed, ruggedness, form factor, noise, or fragmentation (technically, a subset of speed) are important factors to you. If it weren't for the price and capacity issues, SSDs would be the hands-down winner.
Thank you for the replies, i will consider what to do (or not) :-)
Devialet 250 Expert Pro / Nordost Valhalla Bi-Wire / Sonus Faber Olympica II
Anthem MRX 710 / B&W MT-60D
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components

There is no reason why there could be, except expectation bias or the placebo effect, if you are susceptible/suggestible.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(01-Sep-2020, 10:01)elisecoen Wrote: Both SSDs and hard drives do the same job: They boot your system, and store your applications and personal files. But each type of storage has its own unique feature set.
Hard drives win on price and capacity. SSDs work best if speed, ruggedness, form factor, noise, or fragmentation (technically, a subset of speed) are important factors to you. If it weren't for the price and capacity issues, SSDs would be the hands-down winner.

I am not sure if that is 100% true.  I have read tests and reports that SSD's are actually noisier than HDD's, in terms of electrical noise at least.  Also, SSD's are not always that reliable.  I have not had a HDD fail for many years, but I did have a failure with an SSD last year.

Quite how much of a difference any electrical noise from an SSD makes to sound quality is of course highly debatable, see F1's post above!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

No. None. NADA! There is absolutely no reason there should be any difference in sound quality. Whatsoever. This is all about having adequate capacity for transferring the data you need... which both of the provides.
(05-Sep-2020, 09:41)Confused Wrote:
(01-Sep-2020, 10:01)elisecoen Wrote: Both SSDs and hard drives do the same job: They boot your system, and store your applications and personal files. But each type of storage has its own unique feature set.

I am not sure if that is 100% true.  I have read tests and reports that SSD's are actually noisier than HDD's, in terms of electrical noise at least.  Also, SSD's are not always that reliable.  I have not had a HDD fail for many years, but I did have a failure with an SSD last year.

Quite how much of a difference any electrical noise from an SSD makes to sound quality is of course highly debatable, see F1's post above!

Electrical noise? Huh? These are not analogue transfers susceptible of static/electrical noise. It is a digital bitstream with error correction good enough to retransmit faulty packages or even correct them if needed... even though it raaaaaaarely happens.
Theoretically speaking, there should be no difference in the quality of the sound itself.
However, differences may occur indirectly:
- The use of files stored on the network requires more hardware resources, both in Roon Core and in the network.
- The access and transfer speeds of the files stored in the network are lower than those of the local files.
- The speed of accessing and transferring the files stored in the network is dependent on the quality of the NAS, the quality of the network, as well as the degree of network load.
The above makes the possibility of sound interruptions or performance issues to be less in the case of local files.