Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is your Phantom an ADH2 unit? and how to find out!
Apple is in decline. Halving production of its lacklustre flagship product within 3 months. Nowhere in the home network speaker space when they had tremendous first mover advantage. iPads receding both in relevance and in sales. Coming behind Microsoft (!) in desktop innovation with the Studio. Tying themselves to a bloated company resting on its laurels and seemingly unable to innovate would be a disaster (for Dev). Also, aside from aesthetics, I would contend that they don’t have a very similar ethos at all. Devialet is technically groundbreaking and offers from merely excellent to outstanding value, Apple is in fact entirely the opposite. Selling outdated technology in an attractive package for a massive markup IS their deal. It’s no coincidence that their first major foray into the audio space was a company proverbial for its marketing and branding, as well as atrocious technical quality. Are you really missing a Beats speaker in your life?
(05-Feb-2018, 18:35)antilles Wrote: Apple is in decline. Halving production of its lacklustre flagship product within 3 months. Nowhere in the home network speaker space when they had tremendous first mover advantage. iPads receding both in relevance and in sales. Coming behind Microsoft (!) in desktop innovation with the Studio. Tying themselves to a bloated company resting on its laurels and seemingly unable to innovate would be a disaster (for Dev). Also, aside from aesthetics, I would contend that they don’t have a very similar ethos at all. Devialet is technically groundbreaking and offers from merely excellent to outstanding value, Apple is in fact entirely the opposite. Selling outdated technology in an attractive package for a massive markup IS their deal. It’s no coincidence that their first major foray into the audio space was a company proverbial for its marketing and branding, as well as atrocious technical quality. Are you really missing a Beats speaker in your life?

That’s a load of crap. Apple is in no way even remotely close to being in decline in any sense of the imagination.

They’re selling three current phones. Of course sales will distribute across all three instead of the ‘flagship’.

Different story if it were just iPhone X and no iPhone 8/8 Plus. They’ve also made considerably more profit from iPhone X than any other iPhone.

They’re not in decline. Regardless of product.
People have this idea that Apple isn’t doing well because they don’t like the products or company, then they hear a rumour or two and Apple is somehow failing.

Still many millions and millions and millions and millions of customers that love their Apple products or willingly choose to use them. If there weren’t the company wouldn’t be here year after year and exceeding every other years targets, profits, and revenue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)
In audio Apple is way behind. Airplay 4 years ago was state of the art. Unfortunately, multiroom capabilities (no low-latency sync anymore), connectivity (no optical output in all new Apple products), no Hires, not even lossless streaming are retarded compared to today’s state of the art offers. There is no sense for quality in Apple‘s audio efforts. Devialet’s Phantoms are playing in a league that Apple‘s managers seem not to be able to capture. There is no interest to make business in this space. Screens on phones, TV‘s, computers go way beyond the visible in resolution. In audio qualität they stick to lossy sub-standard. Homepod won‘t be different.
(05-Feb-2018, 23:15)streamy Wrote: In audio Apple is way behind. Airplay 4 years ago was state of the art. Unfortunately, multiroom capabilities (no low-latency sync anymore), connectivity (no optical output in all new Apple products), no Hires, not even lossless streaming are retarded compared to today’s state of the art offers. There is no sense for quality in Apple‘s audio efforts. Devialet’s Phantoms are playing in a league that Apple‘s managers seem not to be able to capture. There is no interest to make business in this space. Screens on phones, TV‘s, computers go way beyond the visible in resolution. In audio qualität they stick to lossy sub-standard. Homepod won‘t be different.

Apple have no interest in that market. It’s still a smaller market. They’ve also stated their beliefs in wireless, being wireless audio, streaming, charging, everything. That’s the future. Simplicity and ease of use. Get a device. Connects automatically. Start using it. All wireless.
AirPlay 2 will sort it all out. You can’t say that crap cause nobody has tried it. Phantom will also support AirPlay 2 to its fullest extent.

Devialet Phantom (White)
Totally agree with comments about Apple being in decline. Just had an experience with Apple. My wife uses the iPhone and decided to buy a white phantom for our anniversary Jan 2018. She bought one online from the Apple store and had it shipped. (She didn't realize devialet could ship it in time) Anyway I could never get the phantom bought from apple to sync my my other 3 phantoms. I ended up reaching out to devialet tech support they also couldn't fix the issue (could have just been a crappy unit ) but not my point -
During tech support I had them check the serial numbers on all 4 of the phantoms. 3 of mine are about 2 years old so of course not ADH2 but the 4th phantom from Apple bought in January 2018 was also not ADH2 . My only point to this is Apple isn't selling the product that they already have.
They don't even have the speakers playing in their stores to feature them...
To me it shows they see devialet as just another product like the phone cases and other Bluetooth speakers they sell. Apple is riding a wave.....waves crash
I agree Devialet is being foolish for not releasing something for cinema - improved dialog for surround at the very least

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
(02-Feb-2018, 21:08)kmjy Wrote: (Skip to “###” for info on how to check for ADH2).
————

With the release of the Phantom firmware 1.14.0.18+; White Phantom units have had benefits of increased power and maximum volume taking them from ‘750 watts’ to ‘1200 watts’ and from 99dB to 101dB.
This, as Devialet says is due to “improvements in power management and signal processing“ and is only a software change.

With the firmware followed a ‘new’ Phantom which included this firmware pre-installed as well as Devialet’s new ADH2 technology.

This ADH2 technology was speculated to be also a software upgrade without any physical hardware being changed just as the power and volume change was not physical. It is now known that this was not the case with ADH2 and it is a physical change in hardware. Knowing this it was speculated that Devialet started rolling out ADH2 hardware secretly and many many Phantom units already in customers hands had ADH2 all along. Unfortunately this is now known also to not be the case.

Devialet officially started rolling out ADH2 units (both White and Silver) from mid-November onwards and any units before this time DO NOT contain ADH2 hardware (they are only eligible for the performance software update).

During rollout some dealers still had old stock and therefor you may have not gotten the ADH2 unit even though it was launched and in-stock. Devialet themselves didn’t launch the units until they personally had no stock of the old ones but dealers stockpile. Depending on the week in November you purchased you may also have or have not received an ADH2 unit.

————
###
Here is an easy and simple way to check if your unit may or may not have ADH2 technology:

Step 1: Locate your serial number:
• The serial number of a Phantom is located under the unit in the middle of the rubber foot.
•• Alternatively you can enter the Spark application and navigate to [Options], [Devices], select a device and then view your serial number.

Step 2: Determine your serial code:
• A Phantom serial number is broken down into two main categories.

The first letter, and the first two numbers.

The letter ‘K’ represents the year 2017 and the two numbers following represent the week within 2017.

If your serial number is for example K05xxxxxxxxxx then your unit DOES NOT contain ADH2 hardware.
If your serial number is for example K47xxxxxxxxxx then your unit DOES contain ADH2 hardware.

If your serial number contains ‘L’ as the first letter your unit DOES contain ADH2 hardware and any unit onwards does.

This includes both White Phantom and Silver Phantom.

Any units before week 47 of 2017 DO NOT contain the hardware. Although ALL Gold Phantom units DO.

Silver Phantom did not receive a performance software upgrade but did receive ADH2 hardware. While ADH1 White Phantom received only the software, and K47+ White Phantom received both the software and ADH2.

———
I hope this helps, leave your comments on if your unit does or does not contain the hardware and how it sounds for you since the 1.14.0.18+ firmware.

Does that mean that a Phantom Elevate (with box) with serial K46 does not contain the ADH2?
In short, yes, it would appear so, but I doubt ANY elevate would be produced without it... do you have such serial number on an elevate? Are you sure it’s an Elevate?

Now, back to Apple (and I suggest we take it to a different thread that I think I’ll start by reposting my original post - taking this whole section of this thread elsewhere is beyond my pay grade). Sorry to sidetrack that discussion off onto the Apple tangent, but I think every negative comment made about Apple and audio only reinforces my premise that Apple would do well to bring Devialet into the fold. And certainly every negative comment about Devialet and their software glitches, support, distribution, etc reinforces my premise that it would be a win-win for them as well to have $$ influx, software support, customer support, ADVERTISING, etc. I would spin off the high end market - even keeping the name - and allow it to continue what it’s been doing and innovating, trickling down to the Apple line of Phantom products...
(08-Feb-2018, 15:33)snbeall Wrote: In short, yes, it would appear so, but I doubt ANY elevate would be produced without it... do you have such serial number on an elevate? Are you sure it’s an Elevate?

Now, back to Apple (and I suggest we take it to a different thread that I think I’ll start by reposting my original post - taking this whole section of this thread elsewhere is beyond my pay grade). Sorry to sidetrack that discussion off onto the Apple tangent, but I think every negative comment made about Apple and audio only reinforces my premise that Apple would do well to bring Devialet into the fold. And certainly every negative comment about Devialet and their software glitches, support, distribution, etc reinforces my premise that it would be a win-win for them as well to have $$ influx, software support, customer support, ADVERTISING, etc. I would spin off the high end market - even keeping the name - and allow it to continue what it’s been doing and innovating, trickling down to the Apple line of Phantom products...

Yes, it was delivered from Devialet - K46 serials. The box is elevate and it looked new.
If it’s an Elevate box it’s absolutely ADH2.
Just before and after the Elevate Phantoms released they were producing them in standard boxes.

Devialet Phantom (White)
Hello,

as per Devialet all phantoms have ADH2 since the gold came out, I have 2 elevates with serial numbers starting with K45 and got confirmation that they have ADH2...