Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Isolating Phantoms
Since selling my gold phantoms that I had ceiling mounted - I bought some more and now have them on shelves. I am not sure but think they might be a bit boomier than they used to be

As the speakers themselves are pretty inert - would I be right or wrong in thinking that any bass boom would be the result of airborn vibrations, not being transferred through the phantoms and into the shelf?

If I wall mounted then they would be very close the current position, of if I bought fancy isolation platforms they would be in the same position - and obviously I don’t want to bother if it won’t do anything to reduce some bass boom I am hearing

Look forward to your comments Smile
Cheers
Jamie
(09-Dec-2018, 20:19)Jamington2004 Wrote: Since selling my gold phantoms that I had ceiling mounted - I bought some more and now have them on shelves. I am not sure but think they might be a bit boomier than they used to be

As the speakers themselves are pretty inert - would I be right or wrong in thinking that any bass boom would be the result of airborn vibrations, not being transferred through the phantoms and into the shelf?

If I wall mounted then they would be very close the current position, of if I bought fancy isolation platforms they would be in the same position - and obviously I don’t want to bother if it won’t do anything to reduce some bass boom I am hearing

Look forward to your comments Smile
Cheers
Jamie

In my opinion isolation platforms will not improve the sound much when you leave them at the current position in the shelf. The housing of the Phantoms as you say have almost no vibration due to the chosen material and construction principle (symmetric arrangement of bass drivers). Your shelf is excited by the sound waves and the modes, i.e. the frequencies that excite the shelf compartments. Also the Phantom already has a absorption rubber material that helps to damp eventual ‘body sound’ and reduces a physical coupling.
Thanks for the input Smile

So you think even I wall mounted a few inches above the shelf the airborne sound waves would still excite the shelves and I need to get them as far away as possible? 

Not sure I am that bothered as I love them where they are and the cables are all nicely hidden Smile

Just interested in principle
In my experience they sound best on top of the dedicated "tree" stands. plus the tree hides the cables inside. So buy the (christmas) trees...
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac