Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issue with Devialet Remote for iOS
Plenty of people found the iOS Ap unstable since the CI upgrade. Its not a coincidence.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(04-Oct-2018, 21:08)David A Wrote:
(04-Oct-2018, 18:37)audio_engr Wrote:
(04-Oct-2018, 08:10)Hifi_swlon Wrote: If you use Roon AIR, as long as you the roonAIR device active you can use it to control the dev hardware volume - even if you’re feeding it with another source at the time.
It’s not as nice as the dev iOS app but at least gives another control point.
The app works for me but sometimes use Roon if it’s open (and I never play by AIR it’s purely for volume control convenience)
So clearly it’s just another sloppy coding effort by Devialet who probably haven’t updated the code for the CI properly (if at all)

+1 ...

So long I use Roon, I do volume using the tiny volume adjusting slider inside the Roon. 

Its such a damn shame that DEVIALET just can't do things right ... indeed the CI update seems to have knocked out the sync with the iOS app.

Except the CI update DID NOT knock out sync with the iOS app because it has worked perfectly for me after my 130 got the CI update.

As I said earlier, I think you have a problem with one of the settings in your configuration file. As a really quick test, and a test that Devialet recommend in order to find out whether the problem is configuration related, remove the SD cards from your 2 amps and restart them in factory configuration mode. See if the app works with your amps in factory configuration because if it does then the problem is somewhere in your configuration. Since you also have 3 iPhones running different iOS versions, also test in factory configuration with all 3 phones to see if part of the problem lies with iOS.

If the app works with your amps in factory configuration then we can try and trouble shoot your config settings but the first thing I would try there is using identical network settings for both the ethernet and wifi inputs and I would start with DHCP set to On for both because that's the setting that will be used in factory configuration.

Hello David,

I sincerely appreciate you taking the trouble to resolve my issue. 

Here's what I did ...

1. Removed SD Cards from Dual monos. 
2. Turned both of them ON.
3. Both displays read "FACTORY CONFIG" and settled with -40 dB, Optical 1.
4. Turned on Devialet iOS Apps on all 3 of my iPhones.
a) iPhone X (iOS 12.0) ... "spinning"
b) iPhone 6s (iOS 11.3.1) ... "spinning"
c) iPhone 5s (iOS 11.4.1) ... "spinning"

Please suggest ...

Many thanks in advance !

- Arup
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Arup,

Now I'm puzzled because I thought the app would work in Factory Config. As I said in my earlier post, it seems that the setting in the config file works regardless of what setting you make in a configuration file. I got that advice from Devialet when I queried them regarding why the app works for me when I have the setting for it disabled in my own remote configurations.

To make certain I just put my 140 CI into Factory Configuration and changed the input to Optical 1. The amp display showed -40 dB volume, the default setting, and I tried the app which is loaded on one of my iPads. I can successfully change the volume using the app so the app does work with at least the 140 CI, and also with the 130 CI which is what my amp was prior to the last Devialet firmware update when it also successfully worked. The iPad is running iOS 12.0.

I also checked to make sure that the network connection to my 140 is live in Factory Configuration. Leaving the amp set to Optical 1, I started streaming over ethernet from my server to the amp using Roon. That worked perfectly, and the app's volume control continued to work perfectly for me when I used it to adjust the volume of the music playing. In short the app is working perfectly with my 140 CI in Factory Configuration.

If the app works successfully for me with my amp then I don't think your problem is an amp related problem which leaves the cause being something to do with the app on your iPhones. If you're getting the spinning wheel on the app display that would seem to indicate that it isn't making connection with the Devialet. I assume the iPhones are all connected to your network because you should get the nornal app display rather than the spinning wheel.

The only 2 things I can think of are that either the phones are not connected via wifi to the same network that your amps are connected to (I know this is ridiculous but do check that your wifi connection to the network is active) or that there is a problem with the app on your iPhones and with 3 phones running different versions of the iOS it seems unlikely that the problem is something to do with an app/iOS version incompatibility.

That leaves me with only 1 other thought. I remember you commenting that you're using an Airport Express. I had wifi problems with my network when I was using an Airport Extreme and when I started searching Roon's knowledge base for suggestions on how to improve wifi performance I came across an article in which they said that Apple's Airport devices could be problematic when it came to providing reliable connections so I ended up doing as they suggested and replacing my Airport devices with a Netgear Orbi system. What you could do while in Factory Configuration is to start streaming using Roon and move closer to your wifi router, into the same room where it is if the router is in a different room to your system, and make sure the wifi signal strength on your iPhones are at maximum strength on the little icon in the iPhone menu bar at the top of the screen and see if the app works then. My wifi router is in a different room to my system but I can still hear music playing in the room with the router and I can hear volume changes in that room if I adjust the volume on the app when I'm in that room so I think that's worth a try. At least that will tell whether your problem is a weak connection from your phone to the network. If that's the issue then I suspect the only solution is replacing your Airport Express with a better wifi device and now that Apple has stopped making wifi devices that means replacement with a different wifi system.

Someone earlier suggested deleting the app from your phones and reinstalling it, and that also is a possibility if you haven't tried it already.

If nothing in the above helps, I think I'm all out of ideas because I'm having no problems whatsoever with the app and my 140 CI, whether I have the amp in my normal configuration or in factory configuration.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Hi David,

Thank you for sticking by me to resolve my iOS issue b'coz the good news is that its working.

This is what I did. 

I created new config files making sure :

1. For AIR, DHCP is ON
2. For Airplay, DHCP is ON
3. All other input are turned OFF 

Next, for my single SSID WiFi at home, I have Netgear Orbi Master console + 4 Satellites. I also have an Airport Time Capsule (essentially its an Airport Extreme with a HDD for backups) and my Macbook Air by default loves to hook up to the apple router that again fetches internet from the Netgear Orbi. I made sure the Devialets and my Macbook Air were all sitting on the Orbi and not otherwise.

Thereafter, I setup the network in the Macbook Air for DHCP ON (which was earlier a fixed IP) as I used to use Devialet AIR with a fixed IP. I also made sure by default iPhone X is also sitting on the Orbi.

Loaded the SD cards and selected Airplay and streamed some internet radio to the Devialets using WiFi. The iOS App on the iPhone tracked it soon and this is what I got.

[img]<a href=[/img][Image: IMG_2591.jpg]" />

[img]<a href=[/img][Image: IMG_2592.jpg]" />

Once I was able to establish Airplay working, I now moved on to AIR. I use Roon and for streaming used Roon Air (and not Devialet Air). 

[img]<a href=[/img][Image: IMG_2593.jpg]" />

[img]<a href=[/img][Image: IMG_2594.jpg]" />

[img]<a href=[/img][Image: IMG_2596.jpg]" />

Bingo !!!  The iPhone in the pictures are my other iPhones as I used my default iPhn X to take the snaps. 

You have been a great-great help with your tedious efforts to get this going ... apologies for blaming Devialet for the iOS app  Tongue ... Others in the Forum should try it out ... 

Finally - a BIG T H A N K .. Y O U to you for helping me out ... have a great day !

- Arup
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Arup,

I'm glad you got it working. I've been running the network connection to my 140 CI with DHCP set to On because I've never managed to learn the ins and outs of manual network settings and I've never had any issues with that though I had more than my share of problems getting a working wifi connection while I was using an Airport Extreme. I eventually got a reliable connection by buying a second Airport Extreme, locating it next to the 140 CI, and connecting the amp to it via ethernet so the wifi connection was between the 2 Airport Extremes and I was using the ethernet input on the amp. I could never get the amp's wifi input to work for more than a few minutes at a time. I finally got it working after swapping from the Airport devices to an Orbi network.

It's a long time now since I used a Time Capsule as my wifi router but I was still using it when I swapped to using an Airport Extreme and I do seem to remember finding out how to stop it acting as a wifi router and how to use it purely for Time Machine backups over ethernet. Perhaps you should look at trying that as well since you're using the Orbi network for wifi. I've come to accept that removing the Airport devices from my network was a big step forward for me.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(04-Oct-2018, 21:16)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Plenty of people found the iOS Ap unstable since the CI upgrade.  Its not a coincidence.

Surely it is not. Apple released iOS11 in September 19,2017. About a time CI upgrades started (October 2017?).
Fanless HdPlex (HQPlayer) -> Merging Hapi -> Genelec 8351B
Hi all

I've got  a slightly different issue with the iOS / Android app for my Expert D200.

It used to work perfectly on my Nexus Android and assorted iPhones/iPads, but now all exhibit the same issue. 

Fire up the app and it sees the D200 without any problem and displays correct source and volume.

However, change volume or source on the app and the app display responds but the D200 doesn't.  And then, after 3 seconds or so, the app reverts to the original (correct) volume and source. Changing the volume or source via the normal remote is reflected in the app display.

I've deleted and reinstalled the app, switched off wi-fi then re-enabled, rebooted everything (including the D200) and the configuration file is unchanged.  Everything is (obviously) on the same wi-fi network because the apps can all see the D200.

If I reboot the D200 without the SD card to factory config none of the apps can see it and just "spin" until the <no Expert found> message appears, presumably because the wi-fi details are in my config file.

Expert D200 is original vanilla (not Pro / CI) running FW 10.1.0.
iPhones / iPads are running iOS 12.0.1 or 10.3.3 (old iPhone 5).
Nexus is running Android 6.0.1.

Any thoughts?

PS - apologies if this has been covered - just point me to the thread . . . (I have searched)
Lounge : D200, Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II, Squeezebox Touch, Musical Fidelity X-Ray (CD Transport), Linn LP12/Ittok 3/Dynavector DV10x5, Chord Clearway & Carnival cables; Study : Squeezebox Touch, Revox PR99 MkII, NAD D 3020, Epos K1; Terrace: Squeezebox Touch, Audioengine A5+; Garage : Squeezebox 2; Rotel  RA-820BX, MA R252; assorted other Squeezebox products dotted around the place; Music Server : iMac 5K 32GB 3TB fusion drive, OSX & BootCamp W10, LMS, FLAC / MP3; Router : Huawei B310 4G; Ripping : dBpoweramp; Library Management : MediaMonkey; Location : East Algarve, Portugal

I've been using the iOS pp as my main remote ever since the CI upgrade, all without a single issue.
I sometimes also use the volume on the Roon iPad app to change volume, again without an issue.

I had big network issues while using an Apple AirPort Extreme, but changing to an Asus router these have dissapeared.

Also, if you are using either multiple wifi extenders or a mesh wifi network, each extender drops the the wifi throughput speed by half (in my own experience actually by a third). Don't use a single SSID for extenders, rather unique ones so that you can see which access point you are connected to.

Devialet 440PRO CI/ Mola Mola Tambaqui + Kalugas / Vivid Audio Giya G2
Cape Town, South Africa
Well like I said everything worked OK until just recently and I can't figure out what happened, apart from iOS and Android upgrades.

I have one TP-Link AC1750 RE450 range extender but I've tried powering that down to ensure the D200 and devices running the app are connecting to the same physical access point, but the problem as described above persists, so it's not that.

My main router is a Huawei B310 4G LTE router with wi-fi on 2.4GHz.

EDIT - SOLVED  Big Grin

One thing changed - my ISP.  I now use Vodafone 4G and my internet gateway changed from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.8.1.  

The D200 wi-fi configuration was stuck on 192.168.1.1 with the D200 on a fixed IP address of 192.168.1.200.  Updated these two parameters to reflect the new gateway settings and everything now works.   Idiot!  Confused
Lounge : D200, Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II, Squeezebox Touch, Musical Fidelity X-Ray (CD Transport), Linn LP12/Ittok 3/Dynavector DV10x5, Chord Clearway & Carnival cables; Study : Squeezebox Touch, Revox PR99 MkII, NAD D 3020, Epos K1; Terrace: Squeezebox Touch, Audioengine A5+; Garage : Squeezebox 2; Rotel  RA-820BX, MA R252; assorted other Squeezebox products dotted around the place; Music Server : iMac 5K 32GB 3TB fusion drive, OSX & BootCamp W10, LMS, FLAC / MP3; Router : Huawei B310 4G; Ripping : dBpoweramp; Library Management : MediaMonkey; Location : East Algarve, Portugal