Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JRiver
For digital playback i have successfully used a nearly headless mac mini>iTunes>remote app. The mac mini is installed in another room in the house and is connected via ethernet. I have an Apple Time Capsule in my music room connected via ethernet and stream over wireless to my D Premier.

The above has worked well and i have been happy.

But to have greater digital file playback capability i have installed JRiver on the mac mini.

My issues are:
- although JRemote iPad app has the "wake the mac mini" feature it doesn't. So to listen to music if first have to go back downstairs and across the house to the mac mini and open JRiver on the mac mini. This never happens with Apple Remote/iTunes. I can just open Remote and select the album i want to play. The mac mini does go into sleep mode (i used to leave it running permanently but after the hard drive crashed - thank God for Time Capsule - i have activated sleep function.

- the bigger issue on JRiver is that after having done the above once the album has played through and i want to select another album then i have the equivalent of "picture no sound". What i mean is that on AIR connection appears to go down. JRiver is playing the selected tune but on the amp display AIR is grey. Again using the Apple ecosystem this does not happen.

Any suggestions from those using JRiver in an Apple environment?

Thanks.

ps for logistical reasons i do not want the mac mini in music room[/size][/font]
I spent a few weeks trying to make JRiver work on a headless Mac mini. In addition to the problems you've encountered, I had several others, e.g. JRiver "forgetting" the entire library (OK, I'd backed it up, but still annoying) and repeated crashes (I had the Mac Mini running permanently).

TBH there were so many issues and they were so grave that I just gave up.

I've now got JRiver running on an old Windows PC. It's worked from day 1 without a single issue.

I know this may be unhelpful, but there's a simple solution to your problem: replace the Mac Mini with something like a Windows NUC.

Good luck!

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
hi Matt

thanks for the response - even if it was not what i wanted to hear Undecided

i always understood JRiver to run better in a Windoze environment but maybe should have done more homework

For now i think i will default back to the iTunes/Remote whilst hopefully JRiver sorts out the mac version

perhaps others out there have solutions??
I am running windows/ bootcamp on my mac mini, works like a charm. Sounds like that could be the option you're looking for.
QNAP TS219P II/ TIDAL-Hifi > Roon@mac-mini > AIR3-Cat6 > Devialet 250 > Audience AU24 SE > Gallo-3.5Ref (w/ SAM)
(19-Jun-2014, 14:59)Borgen Wrote: I am running windows/ bootcamp on my mac mini, works like a charm. Sounds like that could be the option you're looking for.

could be but don't really want to run windows on the mac mini

have created an account on JRiver forum to hopefully get some answers -
(19-Jun-2014, 14:59)Borgen Wrote: I am running windows/ bootcamp on my mac mini, works like a charm. Sounds like that could be the option you're looking for.

JRiver are on the case http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=89888.0
(20-Jun-2014, 18:31)colonel66 Wrote:

The good folk at JRiver have gotten in the mix - i like that they are on their own forum offering support.

This seems to have solved the major issue of disconnecting from AIR after playing an album:
disabling "open device with exclusive access" from [Options > Audio > Device Settings]

They are working on the "wake button" on JRemote
That's great news, Colonel.
Please keep us posted with future developments.
Matt
(21-Jun-2014, 07:28)colonel66 Wrote:
(20-Jun-2014, 18:31)colonel66 Wrote:

The good folk at JRiver have gotten in the mix - i like that they are on their own forum offering support.

This seems to have solved the major issue of disconnecting from AIR after playing an album:
disabling "open device with exclusive access" from [Options > Audio > Device Settings]

They are working on the "wake button" on JRemote

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London