Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jeff Fritz on Phantom @ CES
(09-Jan-2015, 23:43)MightyMart Wrote: Sorry, but I think the stands are... terrible. They don't look exclusive at all, rather like something IKEA would come up with. [Image: huh.gif]

But thanks for the upload...

I think exclusive means unique to them, in the accurate sense of the word rather than in the flowery advertising sense.
They are designed as heat sinks for the amps, so they should be able to go louder longer with stands fitted.
I think the stand matches the styling of the speaker quite well, personally, function dictating form to a large extent
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Whilst on the subject of styling, I think the Dialog looks a little like the head of "Brian the Robot" from the UK confused.com adverts. I plan to buy one, but would have preferred black or silver as a colour option. I guess plastic is the best material option though, chrome plated aluminium or similar is not the best idea for wifi enabled devices.
    Here's the photo with the stands, hopefully making it easier for people in the thread to see what is being discussed.
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.
New text about Phantom from Fritz:

You've basically summarized my position on the Phantom well, at least based on the audition that I had at CES 2015. I do believe that more listening is warranted, and the Phantom could prove to be even better than what we know now, particularly when optimized on their own stands and in an acoustically treated listening room. But then the Phantom is not meant just for that purpose, but as a speaker that can fit most any environment and listener, which is likely why the company chose a tabletop installation in Las Vegas -- to show just what the Devialet Phantom can do in a more "normal" setup.

As to just how much better a Magico Q3/S5-plus-Devialet 200 setup would be, I can tell you that those listeners who yearn for the quality of sound that a system of that pedigree can provide -- and most audiophile systems are not of that quality! -- will not be satisfied with anything less, so no mater how good a pair of Phantoms might be, they'll still want their big speakers and separate amp(s). But that in no way detracts from the Phantom's accomplishments, which are nothing short of groundbreaking. . . . Jeff Fritz
(22-Jan-2015, 12:44)moreno1973 Wrote: New text about Phantom from Fritz:

You've basically summarized my position on the Phantom well, at least based on the audition that I had at CES 2015. I do believe that more listening is warranted, and the Phantom could prove to be even better than what we know now, particularly when optimized on their own stands and in an acoustically treated listening room. But then the Phantom is not meant just for that purpose, but as a speaker that can fit most any environment and listener, which is likely why the company chose a tabletop installation in Las Vegas -- to show just what the Devialet Phantom can do in a more "normal" setup.

As to just how much better a Magico Q3/S5-plus-Devialet 200 setup would be, I can tell you that those listeners who yearn for the quality of sound that a system of that pedigree can provide -- and most audiophile systems are not of that quality! -- will not be satisfied with anything less, so no mater how good a pair of Phantoms might be, they'll still want their big speakers and separate amp(s). But that in no way detracts from the Phantom's accomplishments, which are nothing short of groundbreaking. . . . Jeff Fritz
Yes,

His conclusions are exactly what Devialet told me few days ago… Phantom won't replace any Hi-End system… But remains a really, really good system !
Devialet 250 ■ Wilson Audio Duette ■ Apple Mac Mini & PiTouch
Audiophonics ethernet cable ■ Audioquest Diamond USB cable ■ LessLoss Anchorwave speaker cables ■ LessLoss Signature power cords

France