Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just Unboxed: Remote DOA, Other Newbie Qs
Hello all. I just unboxed my new 200. It's been a pretty disappointing and frustrating first 5 hours.

My remote's "down" (counterclockwise) encoder is DOA. I can feel the "bumps" when rotating up, but not when rotating down. So I can't increase anything (okay, I can get it to go maybe +3 in 1 out of 100 tries if I touch it just right); decreasing (clockwise) works great. I tried unpowering both just in case it was software; no change. Gotta be hardware?

So, sigh, I can't increase the volume once I decrease it. I did think to make an SD with a higher initial volume default (had to creep up on this workaround!). Then I touched the wheel while balance was selected. Very bad move! Now I cannot restore it to 0. Even a long unplug and factory config reset cannot overcome the memory of the balance setting. So, I'm dead in the water on opening night--and probably days until another remote can be procured.

Is there a way to force a full reset INCLUDING the balance?

I'd love to get the remote app for iOS going, but I need more info than came in the box. I don't think the app controls the balance anyway? Any link on to how to get the app to connect? I suspect Air has to be running on my PC to get the app to connect to the amp? Sigh, another several hours to make music...

Even before I bought the thing, I could see the app needs to show EVERYTHING the amp display shows, and do EVERYTHING the hardware remote can do. Unfortunately in the first minute of ownership, I discovered how absolutely critical that need truly is.

Is there a manual someone can link me? I see one on devialet.com/support for Phantom, but nothing for the amps.

Also, it does not seem right that with my 90dB-sensitivity-at-8ohm speakers, it looks like I'll need to run volume about -12dB?

I expected minor software glitches and lack of documentation from this bleeding edge product. But the additional lack of QC (or workarounds) on what turns out to be a critical piece of hardware adds up to a disappointing overall first impression, n'cest pas? It's a good thing it sounds so fantastic when it does work.
You need to get a replacement remote! I'm aware they had issues soundlng much like you have with very early units and have encountered one myself. I'd like to think they'd actually fixed this. I did have success by pressing down on the volume knob fairly hard (oo err).
I had the same problem with my D200 remote. It operated smoothly when decreasing volume but not the opposite. It is definitely the hardware problem. Ask your dealer to give you a new set.
I only read half your post and thought you need to go back to the dealer.  Don't waste your time on something that doesn't work straight out of the box.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Hi davee

To get the remote app working all you need to do is use the online configurator and put your broadband details in the section "wifi"
There is not a lot of documentation I am afraid but this forum is excellent and you will get all the help you need i would imagine.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Hi Davee, wellcome on the forum. Did you try to change te batteries of the remote? If this trick doesn't offer you a solution just ask your reseller for a new remote. ChM
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
Thanks all. Yep, defective remote out of the box. My dealer, Definitive Audio in Seattle, could not have handled it better, immediately loaning me a demo remote until a new replacement can be obtained (which apparently takes a few weeks). Always best to buy from your local dealer, but especially so with Devialet. Turns out the store already had one replacement remote on order for the same problem--mine was the second dud they'd seen. Seems like Devialet is still having trouble with their remote QC.

Also, remotes only pair with a custom configuration that changes the remote count to something other than the default "1." Apparently a change jogs the pairing routine into doing the right thing.

So far everyone agrees that--without a functional remote--the balance setting is not changeable in any way.

I'll post my frustration with getting Ethernet input working elsewhere. If it wasn't for DevialetChat, I'd be sunk. Devialet support documentation online is much worse than I had feared.
(22-Mar-2015, 09:53)Pim van Vl iet Wrote: I only read half your post and thought you need to go back to the dealer.  Don't waste your time on something that doesn't work straight out of the box.

+1