Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kii Audio 3
Hi - at last, they’re finally set up. A few initial thoughts:
1. Assembling the stands and siting the speakers is definitely a 2 person job.  The stands are very heavy, as are the speakers.  The latter also have exposed drive units at the back and side, so care is needed.  
2.  They are beautifully finished - I got the standard graphite satin metallic, and very nice it is too.  Any custom colour is available at extra cost.  
3.  The Kii Contolller should not be viewed as an optional accessory. Without it, you have to set the Boundary and Countour controls by fiddling around around at the back of the speaker - so unless you’ve got them sited a few feet from the back wall, this is a PITA. 
4. All supplied cables (Power and internet) are bog standard, so possibility of tweaking if you want to by using other types. 

So - how do they sound?

I’ve only had them on for 20 minutes to check that all is working, but initial views are that the midrange sounds a little shut in.  I’m going to let them run in (apparently 60 hours is recommended) before I use the Controller to tune the sound. The Controller offers the ability to tune each speaker to take account of individual preference.  

The thing that struck me immediately was that there is no sweet spot - the soundstage is huge for a standmounted speaker. 

So - more work to do to get them performing at their best, but very promising start.  

More updates as things evolve. 

ATB, Ken
Auralic Aries G2 > Kii Control > Kii Audio 3 BXT
Thanks a lot Ken, wish you nice listening sessions!
Le120-Aries-RP10/Apheta-Magnat MCD850-Tannoy DC8-Cabledyne&Anticables
If I decided to jump ship and sell my Ds, I’d go for the Kiis. Please keep us updated, and enjoy your journey through the burn in phase. There’s nothing like hearing your speakers finally come on song, as I’m sure yours will when the midrange opens up.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(25-Sep-2017, 02:29)Axel Wrote: If I decided to jump ship and sell my Ds, I’d go for the Kiis.

Same here. With the Mutec delivering AES/EBU to the Kiis I am sure the result would be very good.

And Ken, good luck with break-in. Really looking forward to reading your impressions!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
It took me a little while to get used to the Grimms, which are a related product. They are so clean and flat that I had to recalibrate my mental model -- Harbeth -- for what flat midrange sounds like.

(24-Sep-2017, 16:58)ZincAlloy Wrote: Hi - at last, they’re finally set up. A few initial thoughts:
1. Assembling the stands and siting the speakers is definitely a 2 person job.  The stands are very heavy, as are the speakers.  The latter also have exposed drive units at the back and side, so care is needed.  
2.  They are beautifully finished - I got the standard graphite satin metallic, and very nice it is too.  Any custom colour is available at extra cost.  
3.  The Kii Contolller should not be viewed as an optional accessory. Without it, you have to set the Boundary and Countour controls by fiddling around around at the back of the speaker - so unless you’ve got them sited a few feet from the back wall, this is a PITA. 
4. All supplied cables (Power and internet) are bog standard, so possibility of tweaking if you want to by using other types. 

So - how do they sound?

I’ve only had them on for 20 minutes to check that all is working, but initial views are that the midrange sounds a little shut in.  I’m going to let them run in (apparently 60 hours is recommended) before I use the Controller to tune the sound. The Controller offers the ability to tune each speaker to take account of individual preference.  

The thing that struck me immediately was that there is no sweet spot - the soundstage is huge for a standmounted speaker. 

So - more work to do to get them performing at their best, but very promising start.  

ATB, Ken
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

Hi - so I’ve had these running in for about 40 hours and they’re really settling down.  The slightly recessed midrange has now gone, as the tweeters have opened up.  They get better every day, and I’m really starting to believe (some of) the hype....

They share quite a lot of the Devialet characteristics - very neutral, very detailed but not clinical, awesome bass control.

I played about with the Contour and Boundary settings quite a lot, but ended up with them set flat, with the speakers about 6” from the front wall, 11”
From the side wall and toed in by about 15 degrees.  

Key characteristics are an amazing soundstage, pin point imaging and incredible detail.  

Main bugbear is that the Controller (just like the Devialet one!) means I have to get out of my chair to change the settings.  Oh for an app that allowed me to change Contour settings on the fly, to take account of the variable quality of my recordings.  

So - would I recommend these?
If you’re restricted as to space for your speakers, and/or you’d
like to reduce box count - absolutely.  If you’re fortunate enough to have a man cave and have found your ideal Devialet/speaker match - rest easy that the Kiis probably won’t give you much extra.  

For me, they suit my lifestyle perfectly, but I still miss my Devialet!
Auralic Aries G2 > Kii Control > Kii Audio 3 BXT
That sounds great! Glad that you are enjoying your Kii 3s. Who knows, my next move might be a pair of these providing they release a proper remote, which from what I’ve read, is in the pipeline. iPad control would be another need.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(01-Oct-2017, 20:46)ZincAlloy Wrote: Main bugbear is that the Controller (just like the Devialet one!) means I have to get out of my chair to change the settings.

I used a Touch with my D-Premier. SPDIF out from Touch to a Neutrik 75 to 110 (NADITBNC-MX) converter and then to the AES/EBU input of the amp. You could consider the same with your Kiis and have the controller by your listening seat.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
So the Kii 3 aren't amazingly better at room correction with the physical layout of their drivers and built-in DSP? That was most of my interest in them: hoping that they'd be a better match with a less-than-ideal room than conventional passive speakers.
(24-Sep-2017, 16:58)ZincAlloy Wrote: Hi - at last, they’re finally set up. A few initial thoughts:

So - how do they sound?

ATB, Ken

How does one hook up an analog source, like a turntable?