Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade or better music server?
Pretend I had £6900 to upgrade my 800’s, but had already bought a dCS Network Bridge.  Would one improve the Melco N1A (any suggestions?) or upgrade my 800’s?  Writing this I think I know the answer, but would welcome any ideas.  Thank you
I would put it this way. With my D800, adding a microRendu + Mutec MC3+USB gave a very nice uplift over AIR with respect to sound quality. When the Pro series first came out, I did a direct back to back comparison between a D800 and a 1000Pro. Both were fed with an Aurender N10, which is generally reckoned to be a very good source. The 1000Pro with the Aurender N10 was a clear step ahead compared to the D800 with the Aurender N10.

I bought a 1000Pro, and comparing the microRendu + MC3+USB to AIR I found very little difference, the surprising thing was just how similar the sound quality was.

So I would have to conclude from this that whatever you use as the source for the D800, it will never be possible to exceed the sound quality obtained from the 1000Pro.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(16-Aug-2018, 12:37)Confused Wrote: I would put it this way.  With my D800, adding a microRendu + Mutec MC3+USB gave a very nice uplift over AIR with respect to sound quality.  When the Pro series first came out, I did a direct back to back comparison between a D800 and a 1000Pro.  Both were fed with an Aurender N10, which is generally reckoned to be a very good source.  The 1000Pro with the Aurender N10 was a clear step ahead compared to the D800 with the Aurender N10.

I bought a 1000Pro, and comparing the microRendu + MC3+USB to AIR I found very little difference, the surprising thing was just how similar the sound quality was.

So I would have to conclude from this that whatever you use as the source for the D800, it will never be possible to exceed the sound quality obtained from the 1000Pro.

Very interesting because I was wondering to upgrade my D800 or active room correction.
System 1 : D800, Piega Classic 80.2, Lumin A1, NUC/Wintel +SSD, Roon lifetime Qobuz sublissime Tidal Hifi subscription 
System 2 : D400, JM Reynaud Cantabile Sublime, Roon.
France
(16-Aug-2018, 12:37)Confused Wrote: I would put it this way.  With my D800, adding a microRendu + Mutec MC3+USB gave a very nice uplift over AIR with respect to sound quality.  When the Pro series first came out, I did a direct back to back comparison between a D800 and a 1000Pro.  Both were fed with an Aurender N10, which is generally reckoned to be a very good source.  The 1000Pro with the Aurender N10 was a clear step ahead compared to the D800 with the Aurender N10.

Thank you very much for your considered reply.  As I mentioned I am using a Melco N1A, which cost a very small amount compared to the 800 - just thought it seems unbalanced (though adding the dCS Network Bridge did wonders for the SQ and soundstage).  Hmmmm!