Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little newb help please...
Damon- Thanks, I think my first effort should be to try to copy my existing 7.1.2 FW to an existing SD card so I can return to this point if I somehow corrupt things. Seems doing that with every FW upgrade understandably comes highly recommended here. My Sonos is reclocked to 96/24 so I'm not sure I can take advantage of that recommendation. My speakers are relatively rare in the states tho perhaps the single most duplicated DIY 'spec' bookshelf speaker in Europe.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
Manoet,

I am not an expert on anything technical, so don't rely on my advice. However (insert smiley) I am certain that you can save the 7.1.2 firmware onto your computer. But if not, I would not be too worried. 7.1.1 is still available, I think, and 7.1.3 b is as well, so you should be able to get them and adjust/ downgrade your firmware. It is worth considering that many owners like V8.0.0. It seems to depend on your system as well as your set up; dual mono systems seem more... fragile, than the single 120/200/250 systems. But I'm still on 7.1.1, so I have no experience with the newer firmware versions.

If your Sonos is upgraded to 24/96 that is great. I didn't realize that you had a modded Sonos. I did also do a quick googlize of your speakers; very neat indeed.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(28-May-2015, 15:57)Manoet Wrote:
(28-May-2015, 15:46)ledesc Wrote: I just got my D200 last Friday.
I'm playing with 7.1.3 and 8.0.0
I was also in 7.1.2, and there is no firmware on the provided SD.
Will go again with 8.0.0 to play with DSD files

Thanks ledesc! What's your impression of 7.1.2 vs 7.1.3? Worthwhile upgrade SQ-wise?

I did the upgrade just after unpacking!
I'm still in the break in period so it's hard to compare, and also for the moment I'm in a discovery phase with Qobuz. I need to plug my NAD CD drive to listen to my reference CDs to make real comparisons, but I lack time....
For now I found 7.1.3 a little tiring sometimes in the high frequencies, I'm now in 8.0.0 and will stick to this version for a while as I find it more detailed especially at low volumes.
B&W 805d - Athom Zef Max - Devialet D200 - AIR Ethernet - Roon ROCK (NUC8i3BEH + LPSU100) - Qobuz

- FR -
ledesc
I have intentions of upgrading to 8.0 but for now going to stick w/7.1.2 thru break-in and wait for the dust to settle on 8.0. Given my meager single source streaming useage with no plans of mission creep I think I could be quite happy with an 8.0 bare bones configuration approach. No need for all the bells & buzzers as I'm enjoying the simple no-brainer approach to 24/96 Sonos with Deezer Elite... least for the foreseeable future tho with anything audio, that could change.

Damon-
The NADAs are a treat! Took a year to finish them to the spec I wanted and I'm retired and worked on them full time for 4.5 months once cabinets were finished. Admittedly I was going after the Magico Q1 specifications/dynamics. Matched them in some respects and surpassed them in others, ie:

Q1 86dB/1W/1m NADA 89dB/1W/1m

Q1 Aluminum chassis NADA MDF with 1.5" top, floor/walls and 2.5" baffle with threaded tensioning provision Horizontally (double) and vertically (single) laminated in an incredibly patterned Pau Ferro Rosewood I found and shipped to Lee Taylor for laminating the cabinets he built for me

Q1 5 Ohm NADA 4 Ohm

Q1 32Hz-50kHz/Sealed NADA 32Hz-50kHz/Reflex with CNC'd alloy adjustable port diameter sleeves for tuning

Q1 spkr only 60lbs NADA spkr only 68lbs

Q1 XO's are small/simple NADA's are massive in comparison with uber high-end Dueland/Mundorf caps resistors etc and free-floating/suspension mounted

NADA Construction: no wood screws in assembly. All stainless M4 DIN machine screws in Helicoil stainless threaded inserts thru-out. Crossovers wired 18AWG W/24AWG T with 5n solid core pure silver wire with airlok insulation. WBT NextGen pure silver binding posts and Crystal Cables Dreamline silver/gold speaker cables and Furutech Carbon Fiber Rhodium plated Bananas.

The NADA 7" woofer is ScanSpeak Illuminator series. Underhung design with Neodymium magnets, 9mm excursion and huge titanium voice coil. Performs more like a 10" woofer. ScanSpeak Illuminator series Beryllium tweeter with neo magnets.

Overall amazing transparency, resolution, tone, texture and delicacy, see-thru clarity and liveliness with astonishing realism! Highest fidelity, fullest range, most transparent-to-source bookshelf I've personally ever heard! But best of all it allowed me to closely mimic, and in some ways trounce a $25k bookshelf for just at $8k. And since I'm retired it gave me a project for a year and was something I always wanted to do.

Sorry if this is more info than you needed/wanted but I have my chatty hat on this morning ;-)
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
Manoet,
Not too much information at all; I appreciate the care, time and detail in your reply. I've only heard a larger Magico (and I'm afraid to listen to the S1) but with the Devialet, I found the sound very, very good, so if you have built something in that arena of sound quality, that is wonderful. Also excellent that there is now so much personalization in them. But now, of course, we want a photo essay on your system; and none of this fone-foto stuff: We're a discriminating bunch, so we'll be expecting print-quality production. You know....

Just thinking about the break-in aspect. Some here noted no change in sound from new to 'settled'. I believe I did, and I don't think I was really listening for it. I was listening briefly last night, and I think the amplifier has relaxed a bit more. It is anything but 'digital' or 'cold' in my opinion.

Just curious; what amplification and source system did you use previously? It is interesting to hear of the path or progress others have taken to get to Devialet. I came from entry-level Naim hardware, but I have not heard anything from Naim that equals the Devialet sound quality, even with much higher price tags.  
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
I actually did try to include a couple high-res pics but was instructed there is a 500 kilobyte maximum per pic and mine were too large. I'm still a bit amazed the forum doesn't 'auto-size' pics to fit, especially given it specifically mentions I have 'unlimited space' to do so. Next time I have some free time I'll resize a couple. I just switched from PC to iMAC so like the Devialet I'm taxed with having to learn something new to resize pics.