Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logitech harmony volume control via Raspberry pi
As the phantoms support upnp I was thinking if it might be possible to control the volume with a harmony remote.

The setup would be like:

IR signal from Harmony remote —> IR dongle in raspberry pi —> upnp command from raspberry to phantoms over wifi.

Would this technically be possible? 

If so, 
1 would there be a noticeable delay between the remote IR command and the volume change of the phantoms.

2 what software would be needed on the raspberry? I guess one to get the ir dongle to work + some software to send the command to the phantoms.

I have no coding skills, nor any networking skill so any help would be much appreciated.
I'd be delighted to hear if anyone has done something like this…
What I've done is something that i run on a Raspberry pi (3 in my case if I remember correctly) which listens to HDMI-CEC volume up/down from an Apple TV and then sends corresponding UPNP volume up/down to the Phantoms. Inspired by another project, and I also think that there are others as well. My project is very old now but I have not had the need to update it (yet). https://github.com/twalther/phantom-hdmi-cec
That sounds interesting. What is required to get this Unpn interface running? (Not the CEC to raspberry part) What software do I need to install on the raspberry?
(08-Jul-2021, 08:39)Cuoresportivo Wrote: That sounds interesting. What is required to get this Unpn interface running? (Not the CEC to raspberry part) What software do I need to install on the raspberry?

I wrote the hdmi-cec -> upnp in nodejs (JavaScript), the upnp-part is handled by a library called node-ssdp (https://github.com/diversario/node-ssdp) for discovery and raw xml for volume up/down and to get the current volume.
(07-Jul-2021, 08:45)walther Wrote: What I've done is something that i run on a Raspberry pi (3 in my case if I remember correctly) which listens to HDMI-CEC volume up/down from an Apple TV and then sends corresponding UPNP volume up/down to the Phantoms. Inspired by another project, and I also think that there are others as well. My project is very old now but I have not had the need to update it (yet). https://github.com/twalther/phantom-hdmi-cec

Very very interesting. I want to be able to control the volume of Phantom II via my TV remote, but Digital Optical Audio out doesn't allow to do that. So I would need to utilise the TVs HDMI eARC + CEC combination for that.

I think your raspberry solution is exactly what I'm looking for, correct? Would it work from TV itself via HDMI eARC(not Apple TV directly)?
(16-Dec-2021, 09:50)Kepete Wrote:
(07-Jul-2021, 08:45)walther Wrote: What I've done is something that i run on a Raspberry pi (3 in my case if I remember correctly) which listens to HDMI-CEC volume up/down from an Apple TV and then sends corresponding UPNP volume up/down to the Phantoms. Inspired by another project, and I also think that there are others as well. My project is very old now but I have not had the need to update it (yet). https://github.com/twalther/phantom-hdmi-cec

Very very interesting. I want to be able to control the volume of Phantom II via my TV remote, but Digital Optical Audio out doesn't allow to do that. So I would need to utilise the TVs HDMI eARC + CEC combination for that.

I think your raspberry solution is exactly what I'm looking for, correct? Would it work from TV itself via HDMI eARC(not Apple TV directly)?

Devialet changed how it works between Dos 1 and Dos 2. In Dos 1 volume would be set globally for all inputs, or at least the optical in volume in would be affected by/the same as the upnp volume. In Dos 2 that is not the case unfortunately. I tried making a optical to upnp bridge but the latency on upnp in is too high, probably due to buffering. I now use a Bluesound Node 130 to get hdmi-cec with volume control. Quite sad that the Phantoms now are just “passive” speakers, all due to crappy software.
(17-Dec-2021, 08:54)walther Wrote:
(16-Dec-2021, 09:50)Kepete Wrote:

Devialet changed how it works between Dos 1 and Dos 2. In Dos 1 volume would be set globally for all inputs, or at least the optical in volume in would be affected by/the same as the upnp volume. In Dos 2 that is not the case unfortunately. I tried making a optical to upnp bridge but the latency on upnp in is too high, probably due to buffering. I now use a Bluesound Node 130 to get hdmi-cec with volume control. Quite sad that the Phantoms now are just “passive” speakers, all due to crappy software.

Thanks for letting me know. Seems no Devialet speaker in that case for my setup as Bluesound Node 130 price is extreme to just fix Devialet issues.