Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Low volume mode (loud)
I'm going to get shouted at for this....
But I want a loud mode I want more bass and mid at low volume levels..... it can't just be me!!!
It‘s just you Smile
Use a player/entpoint solution that allows you to use digital audio processing like a parametric EQ. I use Roon with a Rasperry Pi with Digi+ board to feed the Phantoms through the optical input.
(22-Jun-2018, 21:09)frogster99 Wrote: I'm going to get shouted at for this....
But I want a loud mode I want more bass and mid at low volume levels..... it can't just be me!!!

Yup, same here. I just got my Silver yesterday and sadly I'm not blown away by it at all. This was replacing a long-in-the-tooth Bose Acoustic Wave II system for playing music outside at our vacation home. I just sent back 2 Aiwa Exos 9's as although better sounding not louder overall. So I bought the Silver based on all of the reviews...and it's not really that loud at full volume. I thought maybe it was my phone's volume, but the Spark app showed 100. So I plugged in the Bose playing the same songs and lo and behold not much difference in volume! And this was in a room about 14x16. Granted it was significantly clearer but not $2k better IMHO.
Eh, we don't do too much shouting here- on balance, we're a pretty calm bunch. But on the subject of balance.... I think that the Phantoms can claim 'balance' as one of their strenghts. I admit that I do not have much experience with them, but when I've heard them, I would say that they do the 'top to bottom' reproduction remarkably well. Their bass capability lets them reproduce bass quite accurately; that does also mean lack of 'bass bumps' that would be a standout trademark of Bose systems.

Sometimes the idea of being 'blown away' does a great disservice to audio systems, and engineers, that work to make the reproduction musical and accurate. Finally, there was a lengthy discussion about human hearing and sensitivity to various frequencies. It is buried somewhere a year or so back. It may be all stuff you already know, but there was some decent reading there. Oh, check the 'night mode' or whatever it is... not many around here get to 100 on a phantom.

Now I'll leave this to others who know much more than I do.... which is everybody else.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
A simple PEQ would probably solve most people’s needs for this sort of scenario. ...

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(30-Jun-2018, 01:16)Damon Wrote: Eh, we don't do too much shouting here- on balance, we're a pretty calm bunch. But on the subject of balance.... I think that the Phantoms can claim 'balance' as one of their strenghts. I admit that I do not have much experience with them, but when I've heard them, I would say that they do the 'top to bottom' reproduction remarkably well. Their bass capability lets them reproduce bass quite accurately; that does also mean lack of 'bass bumps' that would be a standout trademark of Bose systems.

Sometimes the idea of being 'blown away' does a great disservice to audio systems, and engineers, that work to make the reproduction musical and accurate. Finally, there was a lengthy discussion about human hearing and sensitivity to various frequencies. It is buried somewhere a year of so back. It may be all stuff you already know, but there was some decent reading there.  Oh, check the 'night mode' or whatever it is... not many around here get to 100 on a phantom.

Now I'll leave this to others who know much more than I do.... which is everybody else.

I think you are absolutely right. 
Most systems like Bose compensate their lack of real bass by a bump of low medium (around 80Hz) which gives the illusion of more hump in the bass compartiment and can be felt missing when moving to a true neutral reproduction. 

The phantoms do not have such a bump, and I agree that their reproduction is very balanced from top to real bottom. 

I know that it can be misleading, for instance when my speakers got SAMed, the sensation of bass were lower on a couple of records and I was puzzled until I realized and got evidence that in fact what I was hearing before war an artificial amplification due to a resonance. When SAM, with its greater control on the speakers got rid of it, the impression was slightly lower bass,  but  real ones. 

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(01-Jul-2018, 07:54)Jean-Marie Wrote: I know that it can be misleading, for instance when my speakers got SAMed, the sensation of bass were lower on a couple of records and I was puzzled until I realized and got evidence that in fact what I was hearing before war an artificial amplification due to a resonance. When SAM, with its greater control on the speakers got rid of it, the impression was slightly lower bass,  but  real ones. 

Jean-Marie

Same here. I sometimes actually turn SAM off when I want to play some bass driven music and I want to get that thump going. It's fun once in a while but nothing beats real low bass for real music reproduction.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(29-Jun-2018, 18:47)BulldogsRus Wrote:

Yup, same here. I just got my Silver yesterday and sadly I'm not blown away by it at all. This was replacing a long-in-the-tooth Bose Acoustic Wave II system for playing music outside at our vacation home. I just sent back 2 Aiwa Exos 9's as although better sounding not louder overall. So I bought the Silver based on all of the reviews...and it's not really that loud at full volume. I thought maybe it was my phone's volume, but the Spark app showed 100. So I plugged in the Bose playing the same songs and lo and behold not much difference in volume! And this was in a room about 14x16. Granted it was significantly clearer but not $2k better IMHO.
I've found that I can't get my phantoms to their fullest potential when using BT as the audio source.  Playing songs directly through spark or via optical input enables me to bring them to ear splitting volumes.  I use a pair of golds as my outdoor speakers and have to keep them between 30-40 because I'm concerned with disturbing my neighbors.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante

Yes many of us have been shouting for EQ a long time 

You can get it with the Spotify App if you send via Airplay - that would allow you to boost your bass when you wanted 

I worry about it less and less now. have tried a dspeaker with room correction / EQ for playing vinyl for a while which was fun to play around but ultimately I used it less and less and just accept the presentation as it is

As I listen at 30 right now, my bass is rich and clear - just quiet like the rest of the music Smile. If anything I find I would like to adjust the presentation at higher volume more than low
(02-Jul-2018, 13:08)njaiswal Wrote:
(29-Jun-2018, 18:47)BulldogsRus Wrote:

I've found that I can't get my phantoms to their fullest potential when using BT as the audio source.  Playing songs directly through spark or via optical input enables me to bring them to ear splitting volumes.  I use a pair of golds as my outdoor speakers and have to keep them between 30-40 because I'm concerned with disturbing my neighbors.
Good to know, I'm wondering if I can simply use my Chromecast Audio as a DAC w/optical instead? I mean, directly connect it to the Phantom then plug an iPod or phone into the CC Audio via phono jack?