Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Detailed? Or just missing bass?
(11-Oct-2023, 12:31)BoyScout Wrote: I also tested a fantastic REL, but I think, despite the many adjustments I made over a couple of weeks, I never got the integration that would make me keep it... and I returned it to the dealer. 
When I finally started to like the sound, the subwoofer was doing practically nothing. 
Maybe the problem is mine...

I've recently integrated my best mate's subs. These are the steps I took.

Program a 20ms delay to the speakers in the Expert

Set the subs up where they fit (next to the speakers in this case.

Set a volume that feel like it's equal with the speakers

Turn the phase until you can hear them integrate with the main speakers. Phase, to my knowledge, is just a delay. So because the mains speakers are already delayed, the subs are now 'in front'. Once you have delayed them enough to 'line up', they sound great. 

Fine tune volume from there on. 

Don't ever, and I mean EVER, use bass heavy music to tune subs. Use a simple female vocal track. Even female voices have some depth to them. Once you hear that bit of depth to the voice, that's it. Don't push it any louder.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
RELs don't have variable phase setting - only 0/180 which is basically polarity.
And with high-level connections which are preferred for RELs - you can't use delay.

So, the only way to properly set phase/delay is to change the subwoofer(s) position - closer or further from the MLP.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(11-Oct-2023, 23:20)Delija Wrote: RELs don't have variable phase setting - only 0/180 which is basically polarity.
And with high-level connections which are preferred for RELs - you can't use delay.

So, the only way to properly set phase/delay is to change the subwoofer(s) position - closer or further from the MLP.

In light of this: don’t buy REL
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Is there a way from the remote to change the voltage output of the sub?
The level control on the B&W DB-1 stopped working and I'd like to reduce the bass a bit
               Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Mercury Pi2 & Gentoo,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  ET LF8bs, B&W AS700 sub.  2 x Dachshunds
(16-Nov-2023, 14:01)chrisc Wrote: Is there a way from the remote to change the voltage output of the sub?
The level control on the B&W DB-1 stopped working and I'd like to reduce the bass a bit

I’m pretty sure you can set the output Voltage in the configurator. It’s a bit more work but it’ll be set for good once you get the right level.
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.