Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 vs. Devialet Expert 220 Pro
(24-Mar-2019, 14:18)Flashman Wrote:
(24-Mar-2019, 10:42)Confused Wrote: Looking at the Opus 51 website, they have never reviewed any Devialet product, let alone a 220Pro. 

Actually, the site did a review on a Devialet Expert 200 (here) and perhaps (unfairly) extrapolated that to a 220Pro.

You raise a good point about a hifi store doing reviews.  One could assume that a store might review in favor of its products and dismiss those manufacturers that it does not carry.  On the other hand, after reading the reviews on the Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 and the Devialet 200, I sense (rightly or wrongly) an objectivity without totally extolling the virtues of one product and totally diminishing the other product.  What's rather surprising is that a hifi store would go to such lengths to provide more than just cursory reviews.

I also try to read as many professional and user reviews as possible to get a coherent picture, so this is just one data point.

I have really loved my Devialet 200 but am reluctant to pony up the money for a Pro version without investigating other options.

Finally, thanks for pointing out what I didn't know about Opus 51; that will certain enter into my final equation.

Yes, my apologies, there is indeed a Devialet 200 review there, and you can pick it up in the website's search function.  What tricked me was that Devialet are (deliberately?) not listed in the website's "Tests par marques" menu.  It's an old cliche I know, but it's always best to listen for yourself if you can.  It's not always easy, or indeed possible though.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(24-Mar-2019, 14:56)Confused Wrote:
(24-Mar-2019, 14:18)Flashman Wrote:
(24-Mar-2019, 10:42)Confused Wrote: Looking at the Opus 51 website, they have never reviewed any Devialet product, let alone a 220Pro. 

Actually, the site did a review on a Devialet Expert 200 (here) and perhaps (unfairly) extrapolated that to a 220Pro.

You raise a good point about a hifi store doing reviews.  One could assume that a store might review in favor of its products and dismiss those manufacturers that it does not carry.  On the other hand, after reading the reviews on the Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 and the Devialet 200, I sense (rightly or wrongly) an objectivity without totally extolling the virtues of one product and totally diminishing the other product.  What's rather surprising is that a hifi store would go to such lengths to provide more than just cursory reviews.

I also try to read as many professional and user reviews as possible to get a coherent picture, so this is just one data point.

I have really loved my Devialet 200 but am reluctant to pony up the money for a Pro version without investigating other options.

Finally, thanks for pointing out what I didn't know about Opus 51; that will certain enter into my final equation.

Yes, my apologies, there is indeed a Devialet 200 review there, and you can pick it up in the website's search function.  What tricked me was that Devialet are (deliberately?) not listed in the website's "Tests par marques" menu.  It's an old cliche I know, but it's always best to listen for yourself if you can.  It's not always easy, or indeed possible though.
Yup, I'd like to have an in-home test of the Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 but where I live, Charleston, S.C., it just isn't possible.  Well, I'm not jumping the Devialet ship just yet!  Thanks for your comments.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
It is also worth noticing that the test was conducted with speakers having an active bass, meaning that you are listing to the amp integrated inside the speakers and not the Devialet when it comes to bass, punch and energy....

So to be taken with a pinch of salt in my opinion.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(24-Mar-2019, 18:25)Jean-Marie Wrote: It is also worth noticing that the test was conducted with speakers having an active bass, meaning that you are listing to the amp integrated inside the speakers and not the Devialet when it comes to bass, punch and energy....

So to be taken with a pinch of salt in my opinion.

Jean-Marie
Mile fois merci, Jean-Marie !  Je n'avais pas vu ça !
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
There has been a review of both Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 and Devialet Expert 140 Pro in one of recent issues of "AUDIO" - largest Polish hi-fi magazine. Both models were considered quite similar in their style - very natural and neutral in good meaning of this word.

You can read both reviews online; Google Translate should help you with if for some unknown reason you don't speak Polish Wink
https://audio.com.pl/testy/stereo/wzmacn...rt-140-pro
https://audio.com.pl/testy/stereo/wzmacn...-tdai-3400

And here's an online preview of how this looked in the paper magazine:
https://audio.com.pl/magazyn/26144-2-2019 -> click "Przejrzyj ten numer" (== "Browse this issue")
Lyngdorf is coming out with a new generation of amps based on Purifi modules which should have quite competitive specs (significant improvements on n-core) https://lyngdorf.com/wp-content/uploads/...-sheet.pdf
I wonder if that correlates to sound too.
(23-Apr-2019, 05:04)Music or sound Wrote: Lyngdorf is coming out with a new generation of amps based on Purifi modules which should have quite competitive specs (significant improvements on n-core) https://lyngdorf.com/wp-content/uploads/...-sheet.pdf

Yes it does.... but just for info, the specs I have been able to find on the new Purifi modules are as follow:
Class D amplifier
400W Power for 4Ω
1% THD at 400W
0.00017% THD at 100W

a D400 is 400W for 6Ω
0.00025% THD at full power
0.0001% THD at 10W

So one is just 3 orders of magnitude better than the other when it comes to THD Smile

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(22-Apr-2019, 23:13)M_M Wrote: There has been a review of both Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 and Devialet Expert 140 Pro in one of recent issues of "AUDIO" - largest Polish hi-fi magazine. Both models were considered quite similar in their style - very natural and neutral in good meaning of this word.

Thanks for the post.  I had actually read both reviews.  I ended up purchasing a Lyngdorf TDAi-3400.  There is no doubt that my Devialet 200 (non-Pro) had a better grip on the bass from my SAM-enabled Vivid Oval 1.5 speakers.  In addition, I sensed a great dynamic sound from the Devialet.  As for the Lyngdorf, especially with its room correction enabled, I sense a better mid-range and focused listening from the sweet spot, and an overall smoother listening experience.  Some may take that smoother comment as a reduction of detail but for me it's just a more relaxed character to the amp.  On some tracks, I miss the Devialet.  On some tracks, I enjoy the Lyngdorf more.  In sum, they are just different animals.  As I did not have the Pro version of the Devialet, I am enjoying Roon Ready, Spotify Connect and a plethora of Internet radio stations on the Lyngdorf, in addition to its many different "voicings," such as "music," "bass 1," "bass 2," "relaxed," etc.  In that sense, it's a bit easier to play around with digital modifications to the music compared to Roon, which, by the way, I love.  Anyway, those are my thoughts at the moment.  I still am exploring the Lyngdorf.
An interesting thread for me as I may be considering moving away from Devialet too. I also have the 200 and fear that the support and upgrades will just stop . Although for me it still sounds amazing
I have been reading a lot about 4 possible replacements , but at various price points. The 3400 is one of them. It is a lovely looking piece of kit .
The others are the Naim Uniti Nova, the Hegel 590 and the Ayre EX8.
The Hegel is the one I would love to go for if I make the plunge.
Thanks for sharing your impressions
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(23-Apr-2019, 13:08)Jean-Marie Wrote:
(23-Apr-2019, 05:04)Music or sound Wrote: Lyngdorf is coming out with a new generation of amps based on Purifi modules which should have quite competitive specs (significant improvements on n-core) https://lyngdorf.com/wp-content/uploads/...-sheet.pdf

Yes it does.... but just for info, the specs I have been able to find on the new Purifi modules are as follow:
Class D amplifier
400W Power for 4Ω
1% THD at 400W
0.00017% THD at 100W

a D400 is 400W for 6Ω
0.00025% THD at full power
0.0001% THD at 10W

So one is just 3 orders of magnitude better than the other when it comes to THD Smile

Jean-Marie

the 3 order of magnitude is dependent how full power is defined. looking at 10W https://6moons.com/wp-content/uploads/au...rifi/1.pdf there is roughly a factor 2 higher than Devialet which is a significant improvement over n-core or other class-D modules. Still sound signature is not simply equated to THD and Devialet is not pure class D so I assume that will have sonic benefits even if the specs would be identical. But for (sub)woofers....