Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MM Cartridges?
Hi

Anyone using a "higher-end" MM (e.g. Ortofon 2M Black etc) with their Devialets? Thoughts on how this impacts the hiss issue?

Thanks!
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
Clearaudio Jubilee MM and Dynavector 20X H MKIi with no hiss. A friend uses DV 20X L MKII like you without any hiss on Bauer DPS 3 and Bauer TT arm

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
Never experienced any hiss with the 2M Black. Even with the low output MCs no hint of hiss at all.
Technics SL-1200G | Ortofon Cadenza Bronze | Audio Technica AT-ART9 | Hana ML
Nucleus+ | Melco N1ZS/2EX | D100 | S100 | Telegärtner M12 | Accustic Arts Drive II
Devialet Original d'Atelier | Vivid Audio G3 Giya
Gold Phantom Opéra de Paris
S  I  N  G  A  P  O  R  E
Thanks - I absolutely get hiss, starts about -20 on the volume control. Interestingly if I pretend to have a higher output MC (i.e. dial up the max output of the cartridge on the RAM screen, I can hear the hiss start to drop) - so I wondered if a Hana or a Lyra which are 0.5mV might be better

The wild card would be to switch to a Ortofon 2m Black and try to sell my cartridge, but I have an attachment to MC for sentimental reasons.....

I think the bigger amps (D1000 + O d'A) seem to suffer much less from hiss, perhaps the phono is different there
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
(31-Jan-2019, 17:53)wiresandmore Wrote: Thanks - I absolutely get hiss, starts about -20 on the volume control. Interestingly if I pretend to have a higher output MC (i.e. dial up the max output of the cartridge on the RAM screen, I can hear the hiss start to drop) - so I wondered if a Hana or a Lyra which are 0.5mV might be better

The wild card would be to switch to a Ortofon 2m Black and try to sell my cartridge, but I have an attachment to MC for sentimental reasons.....

I think the bigger amps (D1000 + O d'A) seem to suffer much less from hiss, perhaps the phono is different there

I think you have almost answered your own question here?  With RAM you can indeed try any cartridge gain setting you like and test what the hiss level is like at whatever your normal listening level is.  You don't even need a cartridge connected.  If the hiss is inaudible or unobtrusive at your normal listening level for a particular gain setting, than that should tell you all you need to know.

That said, before buying my Cadenza Bronze last year, I did find myself wondering about trying the Ortofon 2m Black, not because I am bothered by the hiss, but I have heard that the MM Black is rather good in it's own right.....
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I'm using a 2M Mono.
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.