Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MQA disappeared from signal path
Hi

I have just noticed that MQA no longer showing on signal path when streaming from Tidal (Masters) to Roon.  The only recent change wss upgrading Mac OS to Catalina.  Does Catalina support first unfold? Anyone else have this issue and perhaps solution?

Many thanks

T
Roon, Tidal, Macbook Pro 15 (quad core, 16 GB), Project Classic, Ortofon 2M Black, Devialet 220 pro CI, Focal Sopra N2. Bowers & Wilkins DB3D Subwoofer, Scotland, UK.
I haven't upgraded to Catalina yet because some of my software won't run on it so I can't comment on Catalina but if you're running Roon, Catalina isn't doing the first unfold. Roon is doing the first unfold. It's Roon's software that tells the processor what to do with an MQA stream. The OS doesn't do the unfold, just like the OS doesn't do the formulae you build into your spreadsheet or the formatting of your word processing document. That's not the role of the OS, all of those things come into the role of the application you're using to do those things.

It's possible that there's a bug in Roon which is causing problems when running on Catalina that is preventing Roon from doing the unfold but that would be a Roon problem, not a Catalina problem.

I just did a search on the Roon forums for threads on Roon and Catalina without mentioning MQA in the search terms. This is a link to the search results:

https://community.roonlabs.com/search?q=...c+Catalina

It appears there are a lot of threads about problems with Roon on Catalina but when I repeated the same search adding MQA to the search terms I didn't see anything that looked like your issue. You may want to search further on the Roon forum or look at some of the numerous threads there concerning Catalina issues.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(18-Feb-2020, 10:20)David A Wrote: I haven't upgraded to Catalina yet because some of my software won't run on it so I can't comment on Catalina but if you're running Roon, Catalina isn't doing the first unfold. Roon is doing the first unfold. It's Roon's software that tells the processor what to do with an MQA stream. The OS doesn't do the unfold, just like the OS doesn't do the formulae you build into your spreadsheet or the formatting of your word processing document. That's not the role of the OS, all of those things come into the role of the application you're using to do those things.

It's possible that there's a bug in Roon which is causing problems when running on Catalina that is preventing Roon from doing the unfold but that would be a Roon problem, not a Catalina problem.

I just did a search on the Roon forums for threads on Roon and Catalina without mentioning MQA in the search terms. This is a link to the search results:

https://community.roonlabs.com/search?q=...c+Catalina

It appears there are a lot of threads about problems with Roon on Catalina but when I repeated the same search adding MQA to the search terms I didn't see anything that looked like  your issue. You may want to search further on the Roon forum or look at some of the numerous threads there concerning Catalina issues.
Many thanks David, very useful.  I will log this with Roon.  T
Roon, Tidal, Macbook Pro 15 (quad core, 16 GB), Project Classic, Ortofon 2M Black, Devialet 220 pro CI, Focal Sopra N2. Bowers & Wilkins DB3D Subwoofer, Scotland, UK.