Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MQA will be available on Bluesound products as of 1 June
Nice that Bluesound will provide a firmware update as of 1 June to all its players to make them MQA-enabled for playback.  I have some 2L MQA files and will enjoy trying them out via my Dev200.  Now, I just need Tidal to weigh in with some MQA files.  (See below in BOLD and ITAL).

May 4, 2016 -
This year’s High End sees MQA, the innovative music technology, reveal further business updates, including new content and hardware partnerships.
MQA Music Partners
High Res Audio, the renowned international high-resolution music download service, joins the list of MQA content providers, meaning music lovers visiting www.highresaudio.com can download high-quality releases from renowned labels including 2L, Acoustic Music Records, Bauer Studios / Neuklang, Eudora Records, Jazz Arts, Personality Records, Mons Records, Ozella Music and Triplet Records. A total of 30 albums will be available at launch, with more to come over the coming weeks.
Nordic label 2L adds to its MQA catalogue, with new arrivals including an extraordinary sounding Mozart MQA remaster. The new ‘MQA remix 2016’ of the Marianne Thorsen and Trondheim Soloists Violin Concertos 2006 release, ‘white gloved’ by 2L founder Morten Lindberg and MQA creator Bob Stuart, saw the original analogue-to-digital-converters brought out of storage and analysed, going back to each individual microphone feed from the archive. The previous release, the world’s first commercial recording in DXD resolution, was declared a “Record To Die For” by Stereophile Magazine, and won the Spellemann-prize as Best Classical Album – now listeners can experience what has become an audiophile reference point in MQA quality.
MQA also warmly welcomes Eudora Records, whose award-winning recordings are available at www.highresaudio.com. The Spanish label is currently updating its entire catalogue, with MQA versions set to become available through spring and summer 2016. Commenting on the announcement, Eudora Co-Founder, Gonzalo Noqué, said: "On every Eudora Records project that I work on, I’m driven by a search for excellence, so I admire those individuals and companies who share a similar motivation and pioneering ideas, like Bob Stuart and MQA. The fact that MQA’s encoding is tailored to each recording’s particular AD converter speaks volumes about MQA’s search for excellence. We are currently finalising the details of our distribution deals with partners and content providers, with the aim of making all of our recordings available in MQA over the coming weeks."   
MQA Playback Partners
As well as witnessing new MQA content announcements, High End 2016 also marks the unveilings of further MQA-ready playback products. German maker Brinkmann releases its Nyquist DAC, complete with MQA support. Show visitors to Brinkmann at Atrium 4, E108 can hear a prototype of the new DAC, which is due on-sale in Q4 2016.
Mytek, showing in Hall 4, adds to its MQA-ready line. The American brand already offers the MQA-ready Brooklyn DAC and now the advanced prototype of the more upscale MQA-capable Manhattan DAC will be on display and shipping in August 2016.

More terrific news for music fans – as well as a ‘world first’ for wireless multi-room systems – comes in the form of Bluesound’s announcement that, with effect from 1st June 2016, MQA will be available on all of its Players via a free firmware update. The Canadian maker’s BluOS firmware version 2.2 enables MQA on all BluOS-enabled wireless music systems.
Commenting on the above news, Greg Stidsen, Bluesound Director of Technology and Product Planning, said: “MQA is a natural match for Bluesound’s hi-res music and wireless streaming platform, and we’re very excited to be the first wireless multi-room system to play back music exactly how it was recorded in the studio.” Bluesound is attending High End 2016, holding live MQA demonstrations in Atrium 3.1, Room C112.

Show visitors can also experience MQA being played on products from Meridian Audio, Onkyo and Pioneer. Those looking for ultimate sound quality ‘on the go’ can hear the Pioneer XDP-100R and Onkyo’s DP-X1 portable digital audio players, both of which have recently received MQA firmware updates. And not quite as portable, but just as impressive, is Meridian Audio’s flagship 818v3, which will be revealing its full capabilities with MQA music.
ABOUT MQA
Using pioneering scientific research into how people hear, the MQA team has created a technology that captures the full magic of an original studio performance. MQA is a revolutionary end-to-end technology that delivers master quality audio in a file that’s small enough to stream or download. It is also backward compatible, so will play on any device – the days of sacrificing quality for convenience are finally over. MQA is a UK-based private company, visit www.mqa.co.uk for further information.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
I don't think are really any files for Tidal to weigh in with?

Playing MQA via Roon into my D200 I was hard pressed to hear any difference with the test files that are out there. Of course we're not getting the supposed 'full' benefit anyway because the DAC part is missing.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(05-May-2016, 23:00)Hifi_swlon Wrote: I don't think are really any files for Tidal to weigh in with?

Playing MQA via Roon into my D200 I was hard pressed to hear any difference with the test files that are out there. Of course we're not getting the supposed 'full' benefit anyway because the DAC part is missing.

Tidal has committed to MQA implementation but no timetable as yet for when they will have MQA-encoded albums.

Supposedly, an MQA file without decoding should sound like a CD, maybe a bit better.  I have had good results with the playback of the 2L files without decoding.  Am really eager to flow the files through the MQA-enabled Bluesound Node 2 as of 1 June.  Should sound stellar through my Devialet Ensemble.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
I have a Bluesound Node 1 and I will be able to test MQA to see what's the big deal about it.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

I recently purchased a Mytek Brooklyn DAC for my office rig. Mytek added MQA support with a firmware upgrade last month. I have a couple of classical albums from 2L.no that I've been listening to a lot (the Mozart Violin Concertos at this very moment). I mostly use it as a headphone amp driving Fostex TH-900 Mk2s.

I have to say the MQA recordings are pretty breathtaking. Very natural sounding, lots of detail, an airy soundstage with tight spatial resolution, and no digital graininess. Violins actually sound like violins—which they never did with redbook. There's some wonderful math going on here.

Given how well high-res reproduces on my D800 (esp DSD64), I feel that MQA would be a great fit for Devialet. The detail, quickness and power of the ADH amp is a perfect match for the capabilities of MQA. (For that matter, it would sound great on the Phantom).

I've got my fingers crossed. Given that DSD64 came out of nowhere, who knows what they've got up their sleeve.

muski
(21-May-2016, 07:44)muski Wrote: I recently purchased a Mytek Brooklyn DAC for my office rig. Mytek added MQA support with a firmware upgrade last month. I have a couple of classical albums from 2L.no that I've been listening to a lot (the Mozart Violin Concertos at this very moment). I mostly use it as a headphone amp driving Fostex TH-900 Mk2s.

I have to say the MQA recordings are pretty breathtaking. Very natural sounding, lots of detail, an airy soundstage with tight spatial resolution, and no digital graininess. Violins actually sound like violins—which they never did with redbook. There's some wonderful math going on here.

Given how well high-res reproduces on my D800 (esp DSD64), I feel that MQA would be a great fit for Devialet. The detail, quickness and power of the ADH amp is a perfect match for the capabilities of MQA. (For that matter, it would sound great on the Phantom).

I've got my fingers crossed. Given that DSD64 came out of nowhere, who knows what they've got up their sleeve.

muski
That's great to hear, muski!  Not sure what Devialet will do but I will have one avenue for end-to-end MQA through Tidal (at some point) and Bluesound (as of 1 June).  Meantime, I will play some MQA stuff via 2L -- both free and purchased -- to see what the fuss is all about.  Thanks for the brief observations.
Just updated to the latest BluOS 2.2.1. Downloaded 2 MQA files from 2L, not sure how to play them using my Node. One immediate improvement I noticed is that the Bluesound app is more robust, loading of artworks is faster, and most importantly, it plays Tidal well now. This is a nice surprise for me as in China, Tidal is not officially supported.

Update: After reindexing my Bluesound library, I can see the MQA files and play them. Technical specs says its bitrates is 24bit and MQA sampling is 352800Hz.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(02-Jun-2016, 01:28)hk6230 Wrote: Just updated to the latest BluOS 2.2.1. Downloaded 2 MQA files from 2L, not sure how to play them using my Node. One immediate improvement I noticed is that the Bluesound app is more robust, loading of artworks is faster, and most importantly, it plays Tidal well now. This is a nice surprise for me as in China, Tidal is not officially supported.

Update: After reindexing my Bluesound library, I can see the MQA files and play them. Technical specs says its bitrates is 24bit and MQA sampling is 352800Hz.
Any reactions on playing MQA files through your Node?
(02-Jun-2016, 01:28)hk6230 Wrote: I can see the MQA files and play them

Any good Gary?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(02-Jun-2016, 01:28)hk6230 Wrote: Just updated to the latest BluOS 2.2.1. Downloaded 2 MQA files from 2L, not sure how to play them using my Node. One immediate improvement I noticed is that the Bluesound app is more robust, loading of artworks is faster, and most importantly, it plays Tidal well now. This is a nice surprise for me as in China, Tidal is not officially supported.

is that 35280Hz  ????
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12