Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mac: AIR or USB?
I'm expecting my Devialet D-Premier anytime now from Paris, where it was upgraded to a D250. This comes with a lot of new options for me to try out.

Reading all about it from you all across this forum makes me a little confused what road I should walk on. For starters, what I see as the best music experience: controlling playback of music with iPad/iPhone, great library with cover art, ease of use, simple configuration. All this with the best sound quality without sacrificing any of the options mentioned before.

Air/iTunes on a Mac Mini gave me this experience on the D-Premier, then I heard some rumors about better options regarding sound quality. (Note, I'd like to stay with my configuration(see signature) and don't want to add any boxes, devices or external streamers.)

As I was exploring this forum, reading about Audirvana working with Air got me excited. This because in the past I heard a clear advantage comparing it to iTunes. At that time it lacked the option of having a library and an iPad app to control playback. Now with the new update to 2.0 (2.03 now), the library option is available and in time an iPad app as well. Even the option to use Dirac room correction software as a plug-in (please correct me if I'm wrong!), seems like a wonderful option I will really make use of in the future.

Then I read something about Audirvana not automatically adjusting sample and bitrates while using it in combination with Air instead of iTunes which will work without issues. Does anybody know if this is happening in standalone-, or/and in iTunes integration mode?

I really hope this isn't true, as this would be a wonderful option to run things! When this problem indeed exist, will it also exist with other programs like Amarra, Jriver in combination with Air?
If the answer on that question is also yes, I suspect I have to look further for a better option...

So there we have USB, as I haven't had any experience with this input before, and the mentioned problem indeed exist, can this input be the solution to my problems and how?

The reason why I'm asking about this before the arrival of my Devialet, is because I want to do soms tests with ethernet- and usb cables when I pick it up. Therefore I want to have the right setup available to make the right choice! (Normally I'd test most things myself.. but as I can't, your input will be much appreciated!!!)
Stereo: Sonus Faber Amati Futura - Graphite -> Yter Loudspeaker Cable -> Devialet D250 - Chrome -> LessLoss DFPC Orginal Powercord
Source: Mac Mini -> Devialet Air Ethernet
Control: iPad Air / iPhone 5S -> Apple Remote
IMO Air by Wifi is best sound with Devialet. Even listening CIA IPad Air with files encoded info 44.1 is great fun.
sF Futura! Wow... Please try other loudspeaker cables. Please do it. Just try musical cables with great bass. Copper 100% cables... I know Yter cables and there is a lot better ones... And not expensive ones.
Best regards
(25-Oct-2014, 15:36)IGuardianI Wrote: I'm expecting my Devialet D-Premier anytime now from Paris, where it was upgraded to a D250. This comes with a lot of new options for me to try out.

I thougth that the upgrade period was ended in the mid of July? Is this an exception on the rule? Keep us posted on the differences you do hear after the upgrade from D-1 to D-250. And do'nt forget to adjust your signature.

(25-Oct-2014, 15:36)IGuardianI Wrote: Reading all about it from you all across this forum makes me a little confused what road I should walk on. For starters, what I see as the best music experience: controlling playback of music with iPad/iPhone, great library with cover art, ease of use, simple configuration. All this with the best sound quality without sacrificing any of the options mentioned before.

I do play from a fanless HTPC with Windows 8.1 and a SSD and JRiver, using the Air-streamer via ethernet and JRemote on an iPad. I've never had any hiccups or white noise issues at all. When my D-250 still was a D-1 I did experience a lot of them, when playing from a laptop PC via Air WiFi.

At home I did some testing between Air ethernet and USB. I do prefer Air over USB. With Air I do use the option of wasapi (bitperfect). With USB you just can't choose wasapi. Air is slightly better. When streaming video with xbmc or Netflix I do prefer USB having less latency issues. Air is always buffering, with audio that's no issue. When playing video's it can be annoying.

If you do want to use Air don't upgrade your Macs to Yosemite OS.
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
(25-Oct-2014, 18:53)moreno1973 Wrote: IMO Air by Wifi is best sound with Devialet. Even listening CIA IPad Air with files encoded info 44.1 is great fun.
sF Futura! Wow... Please try other loudspeaker cables. Please do it. Just try musical cables with great bass. Copper 100% cables... I know Yter cables and there is a lot better ones... And not expensive ones.
Best regards

I'm looking for other cables atm, I'll open a new thread soon to get started on that. Can you share some brands you can recommend?

(26-Oct-2014, 10:42)Charlemagne Wrote:
(25-Oct-2014, 15:36)IGuardianI Wrote: I'm expecting my Devialet D-Premier anytime now from Paris, where it was upgraded to a D250. This comes with a lot of new options for me to try out.

I thougth that the upgrade period was ended in the mid of July? Is this an exception on the rule? Keep us posted on the differences you do hear after the upgrade from D-1 to D-250. And do'nt forget to adjust your signature.

(25-Oct-2014, 15:36)IGuardianI Wrote: Reading all about it from you all across this forum makes me a little confused what road I should walk on. For starters, what I see as the best music experience: controlling playback of music with iPad/iPhone, great library with cover art, ease of use, simple configuration. All this with the best sound quality without sacrificing any of the options mentioned before.

I do play from a fanless HTPC with Windows 8.1 and a SSD and JRiver, using the Air-streamer via ethernet and JRemote on an iPad. I've never had any hiccups or white noise issues at all. When my D-250 still was a D-1 I did experience a lot of them, when playing from a laptop PC via Air WiFi.

At home I did some testing between Air ethernet and USB. I do prefer Air over USB. With Air I do use the option of wasapi (bitperfect). With USB you just can't choose wasapi. Air is slightly better. When streaming video with xbmc or Netflix I do prefer USB having less latency issues. Air is always buffering, with audio that's no issue. When playing video's it can be annoying.

If you do want to use Air don't upgrade your Macs to Yosemite OS.

It did, it just took this long for it to come back...

JRiver seems like a nice option too, can you tell me if this program automatically switches sample- and bitrates with AIR on? (if you have 1 song with 24/96 and one with 16/44.1 does it switch automatically?)

Also, can you explain what you mean by buffering when streaming video with xbmc?

I ran Plex with a delay which is exactly the same as the buffer stated in Air. Unfortunately I had to change settings or restart my Mac Mini after a few movies, because audio and subtitles ran out of sync by a vast amount... Do you experience the same issue?
Stereo: Sonus Faber Amati Futura - Graphite -> Yter Loudspeaker Cable -> Devialet D250 - Chrome -> LessLoss DFPC Orginal Powercord
Source: Mac Mini -> Devialet Air Ethernet
Control: iPad Air / iPhone 5S -> Apple Remote
(27-Oct-2014, 21:45)IGuardianI Wrote: JRiver seems like a nice option too, can you tell me if this program automatically switches sample- and bitrates with AIR on? (if you have 1 song with 24/96 and one with 16/44.1 does it switch automatically?)

Also, can you explain what you mean by buffering when streaming video with xbmc?

I ran Plex with a delay which is exactly the same as the buffer stated in Air. Unfortunately I had to change settings or restart my Mac Mini after a few movies, because audio and subtitles ran out of sync by a vast amount... Do you experience the same issue?

Yes! JRiver automatically switches sample- and bitrates with Air on, that's no issue. When streaming video, and playing the sound over Air, the latter will be buffering, causing lipsync troubles. That's why I do switch to USB when video-streaming with xbmc or Netflix. With USB on I don't have any lipsync issues at all. I do use a supersilent Windows HTPC with the W8.1 OS.
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
(27-Oct-2014, 22:38)Charlemagne Wrote:
(27-Oct-2014, 21:45)IGuardianI Wrote: JRiver seems like a nice option too, can you tell me if this program automatically switches sample- and bitrates with AIR on? (if you have 1 song with 24/96 and one with 16/44.1 does it switch automatically?)

Yes! JRiver automatically switches sample- and bitrates with Air on, that's no issue. When streaming video, and playing the sound over Air, the latter will be buffering, causing lipsync troubles. That's why I do switch to USB when video-streaming with xbmc or Netflix. With USB on I don't have any lipsync issues at all. I do use a supersilent Windows HTPC with the W8.1 OS.
Quite true, unfortunatly the minimal buffer is 50ms in AIR, which is already noticable when watching video. Some use a default delay in Plex or XBMC to counter this, but with a USB connection you don't have to worry about lipsync. Also you can't delay youtube videos (as far as I know), USB is the most worry free option.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
I use AIR/WIFI dedicated network with my I Mac and USB with a Mac Book Pro modified full SSD (Samsung 840 EVO). My speakers are Atom GT1 latest edition.

The best IMO by a mile, on my system and to my ears, is USB : wide and deep sound stage, accuracy, level of details, timing, subjective dynamic, frequency spectrum extension, unbelievable bass control, total lack of grain. Just a dream, absolute perfection. It is possible the SSD plays a role too...

The sound is warmer, less controlled (especially the bass department), frequency range less extended, less focus, but still pleasant with AIR. Strange enough it reminds me my tube amps sound. There is also a difference of sound between using an airport extreme and airport express. airport extreme being the warmest sound.

Have a good day!
(30-Nov-2014, 11:59)YGO Wrote: I use AIR/WIFI dedicated network with my I Mac and USB with a Mac Book Pro modified full SSD (Samsung 840 EVO). My speakers are Atom GT1 latest edition.

The best IMO by a mile, on my system and to my ears, is USB : wide and deep sound stage, accuracy, level of details, timing, subjective dynamic, frequency spectrum extension, unbelievable bass control, total lack of grain. Just a dream, absolute perfection. It is possible the SSD plays a role too...

The sound is warmer, less controlled (especially the bass department), frequency range less extended, less focus, but still pleasant with AIR. Strange enough it reminds me my tube amps sound. There is also a difference of sound between using an airport extreme and airport express. airport extreme being the warmest sound.

Have a good day!

I am curious why USB would be superior to WiFi when that is how the Devaliet is meant to be used? USB is considered a poor digital interface by many engineers.

I had a Zardoz/La Rosita (French wifi streamer) and wireless was always better than Ethernet.
I don't really think there is one specific way 'a Devialet has to be used'. USB is a low overhead protocol, a-synchronous in it's implementation inside the Devialet. I find USB to perform better than AIR ethernet (which I found to be better than WiFi) when using an optimized PC. Using a standard PC AIR ethernet was better than USB, but you can take the quality of USB a lot further in the optimizing process.

Not really on topic as this is a Mac oreiented topic but I am talking about these kinds of optimizations:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/eq...HDPLEX.htm
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/eq..._Cable.htm
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I think, Ethernet would be better than WIFI.. simply because of noisiness of WIFI equipment. It also tend to interfere with other components... no matter how well designed it is.
Ethernet is better as it doesn't have to deal with transmit/receive through wireless (typically 20dbm power).

USB and Ethernet doesn't have this issue.
However, MAC Devialet AIR is full of bugs now.. waiting for update as promised.

Based on current situation, USB would be better of the 3, until Devialet straighten out the AIR implementation both WIFI/Ethernet.