Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mac AIR v MiND 180 v Auralic ARIES v totaldac d1 server
It doesn't look like you have many doubts about the Totaldac's performance! Sounds like it was very impressive. What lead you yo trying this particular bit of kit in the first place? There are many, many, devices of this type about at the moment, some from more established manufactures such as Naim, Krell, Linn, Macintosh, NAD, you could list a dozen or more I think. Just curious what your thought process was?

Or maybe your planning to try a few more!
(30-Aug-2014, 21:09)Confused Wrote: It doesn't look like you have many doubts about the Totaldac's performance! Sounds like it was very impressive. What lead you yo trying this particular bit of kit in the first place? There are many, many, devices of this type about at the moment, some from more established manufactures such as Naim, Krell, Linn, Macintosh, NAD, you could list a dozen or more I think. Just curious what your thought process was?

Or maybe your planning to try a few more!

I found out about totaldac on the french forums... one chap, a Devialet 800 owner was getting very good results with it. totaldac evidently has a very good reputation in France. This got me researching the brand and its products.

As far as I know there aren't that many dedicated reference level non-DAC streamers out there at the moment... for e.g. Linn don't make one as such although you could use an Akurate DS for the same purpose since it has a digital output. I did try a Sneaky DS a while back but the sound quality was appalling.

Tell you what I'd be interested in comparing the d1 server to the Aurender W20 next! Tongue

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Hi everyone

This is quite funny that 2 days ago, we organized the same kind of tests on the other side of the Channel with Devialet and Totaldac Big Grin

in French...
http://www.forum-audiophile.fr/impressio...53365.html

Cheers
Thierry
S1:  Totaldac d1-server, Trinnov ST2-H, Ayon S5, Orpheus Lab 3M, Klinger Favre D56
S2: Trinnov Amethyst,  Ayon Odin III, TAD Evolution One
(30-Aug-2014, 21:51)ThierryNK Wrote: Hi everyone

This is quite funny that 2 days ago, we organized the same kind of tests on the other side of the Channel with Devialet and Totaldac Big Grin

in French...
http://www.forum-audiophile.fr/impressio...53365.html

Cheers
Thierry

Thierry - welcome to Devialet Chat! Smile I originally read your review of the totaldac d1 server + dual DAC on 6 Moons! This got me thinking... Tongue

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/totaldac/1.html

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
@ThierryNK - my French is a little limited, but looking at the pictures I can recognise a decent bottle of Grand Cru, the worlds best hi fi upgrade on a Euro / improvement basis.
Something really surprising with Totaldac : I've never read something wrong on this brand…
I think that's the first time I "see" a brand with no controversy...
I should add that the totaldac ethernet cable is very impressive indeed. I compared it to the AQ Diamond and they appear to be on the same level SQ-wise.

It has a long (ferrite?) "choke" that runs almost the whole length of the cable making it quite substantial in girth and weight!

The totaldac ethernet cable is less than half the price of the AQ one...

Guillaume

UK
@Guillaume
Thanks for advertising my review Angel

For Totaldac Ethernet cable, it is a bit more sophisticated than only ferrite. Several dozens of cable segments, each one being a filter.

@Confused
When we organize such events, there are always good wines Blush
It improves jitter perception after a while Tongue

@darthsteph (are you the French Darthsteph?)
I fully agree about Totaldac.

For those who cannot read French or who are tired of Google funny translations, the conclusions of our tests using d1-server on a Devialet 800 are very similar to yours: big improvement concerning openness, tones, and global image.

Cheers
Thierry
S1:  Totaldac d1-server, Trinnov ST2-H, Ayon S5, Orpheus Lab 3M, Klinger Favre D56
S2: Trinnov Amethyst,  Ayon Odin III, TAD Evolution One
(30-Aug-2014, 23:07)ThierryNK Wrote: @darthsteph (are you the French Darthsteph?)
I fully agree about Totaldac.

Yes, I am !!! Big Grin Salut Thierry !!!
Hi Guys,

One more frog jumping over the channel... (God save the Queen)
I'm probably the chap you've been mentionning above (D800 and D1 Server owner).

Going straight forward, I've been coming to the same conclusions. D1 server goes far beyond to what I had heard before.
My previous solution was an akurate DS upgraded two time in Germany ( G Volk), which I already considered at that time superior to air.

The solution is sensitive to the AE/EBU cable. By using a Transparent Ref you've been most probably on the right side.
Thanks to ThierryNK, we've tried an Acrolink 7N D5000 which brings excellent results too. Anyhow to play side by side with TRef I guess that the 7N D6300 would be more suitable.

Adding the Dualdac (from Totaldac) between the D1 server and the Devialet will help you again to step into a new dimension, as you said (By the way, how many dimensions are available overthere ?). I know that it might sound insane to pile up DACs..., anyhow make yourself a favor and try it, if you can afford a bit more than a second companion...
Anyhow our conclusion in this case is that it might make sense only for those already owner of a D800, otherwise we should rather go straight to a conventional solution: D1 server-Dual Dac -> conventional high-end amps

Last but not least experience sharing today, according personal tests the linking cable between the master and companion amps (D800 / 400) do have an impact on sound.

NB: I will be out of the web for some days