Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mac to devialet
Hello, i'm new here, i'm using a phantom silver and pioneer ddj 200 which requires a computer to work as an intermediate between the controller and the speakers, (I know that this is not the perfect setup up for mixing due to latency...), I would like to avoid airplay and connect through a cable which might reduce the latency ? Do you think a toslink/optical cable to jack would work or do i need a sort of converter or anything else ?

Many thanks
Looks like the DDJ has only USB and no dedicated audio output, so I agree that a computer or something is probably necessary to get the sound to your Phantom. Some Macs have a built-in optical output (as part of the regular headphone/audio out jack.) If yours does, then a cable with a "mini TOSLINK" plug on one end and a regular TOSLINK plug on the other would work. If not, then you'll need a USB-to-TOSLINK converter (or an external audio interface with TOSLINK out). No idea about the precise latency, other than to say that my Mac Mini-->TOSLINK-->Phantom setup had much lower latency than AirPlay.
(26-Nov-2021, 20:27)andrewmg Wrote: Looks like the DDJ has only USB and no dedicated audio output, so I agree that a computer or something is probably necessary to get the sound to your Phantom. Some Macs have a built-in optical output (as part of the regular headphone/audio out jack.) If yours does, then a cable with a "mini TOSLINK" plug on one end and a regular TOSLINK plug on the other would work. If not, then you'll need a USB-to-TOSLINK converter (or an external audio interface with TOSLINK out). No idea about the precise latency, other than to say that my Mac Mini-->TOSLINK-->Phantom setup had much lower latency than AirPlay.

Many thanks
If you can control the volume of either the DDJ USB output or the optical output of the Mac, then placing the Phantoms into direct optical mode will remove nearly all latency. Remember, you need to be able to control the volume digitally as optical direct sets the phantom volume to basically 100% (but is adjustable via the web interface).