Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mac vs PC. Which is best for music with a Devialet
The white noise thread has recently drifted off topic somewhat into a Mac vs PC debate.  But which is best?  This is a complex debate I think.  After all, not all PC's and Macs are the same.  For example, is a desktop machine better than a laptop?  Also, there is a vast array of variously modified PC's.  Does the answer to which is best depend on if you are using AIR or USB, and so on.  I think actually the AIR vs USB topic has been covered very well elsewhere.  If you go the highly modified PC route, USB can be king.  If you just want to use a standard out of the box PC, AIR wins.  So a much more complex issue than is product A better than product B.  I suspect there is no definitive answer overall, however, there should be definitive answers in specific scenarios.

I am a little concerned that this subject may be more conscious than the issue of establishing peace with political and religious agreement in the middle east.  So please lets try to keep this in the general tone of the rest of the forum, polite, factual, respectful and helpful, this is always more informative than an abusive ruck!

Any thoughts out there?  Interesting points, experiences or even hard facts?  And keep it respectful folks!
Windows 8 is natively bit perfect I do believe. Or rather WASAPI is integrated into the OS and is bit perfect.
I had used a Win8 Tablet and Mac Mini. Honestly, I find both are equally good, if you're listening to just pop music and in 16/44.1 bitrates. When listening to vocal-focused music, I find Mac Mini with USB is a tad bit better SQ.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

well i suppose your question begs another before a proper answer can start to be formed.

is your intention to run a basic desktop/tablet/laptop or do you intend to build a customised audio pc?
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
(25-Apr-2015, 11:13)completeluxury Wrote: well i suppose your question begs another before a proper answer can start to be formed.

is your intention to run a basic desktop/tablet/laptop or do you intend to build a customised audio pc?

Personally, I have no intention of building a custom PC.  I'm guessing that the custom PC route is the optimum solution though, well, that and high end dedicated dac-less streamers for lots of cash.
(25-Apr-2015, 12:07)Confused Wrote:
(25-Apr-2015, 11:13)completeluxury Wrote: well i suppose your question begs another before a proper answer can start to be formed.

Personally, I have no intention of building a custom PC.  I'm guessing that the custom PC route is the optimum solution though, well, that and high end dedicated dac-less streamers for lots of cash.

i think my preference at this point will be to supply audio pcs instead of dac-less streamers.

i do home automation as well, and its easy to control a pc with event ghost. i prefer this because i can use a TV as a large monitor to display cover art etc of what the songs that im playing!
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)