Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade Classic to gold
I have to classic Phantom that is upgraded to 2000 w.
Thinking about upgrade to gold and wonder in is worth it or not.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk
(31-Jan-2020, 17:31)Nordic Wrote: I have to classic Phantom that is upgraded to 2000 w.

I own 2xGolds and 1xClassic. 

I am not doing any critical listening after I changed my house 6 months ago. Anyway before moving from my previous house  I had the chance to compare: one Classic Vs one Gold so to have a comparison “apple with apple” (so not the stereo Golds couple Vs one single Classic). At the beginning the difference in the output level is very noticeable. Then you concentrate on the rest of the features. The middle-high range of the Golds is the real key change due to the different tweeter and according to my experience. The low frequencies response were quite similar and not sure to perceive a clear change.

Even at 2000W of the Classic after the upgrade, the Golds are sounding far louder than the Classic. This only matters if you live in a very large listening environment. 

The best would be to go to a shop as I did before purchasing the Golds. I made the comparison with a stereo couple of Classics Vs a stereo couple of Golds. There was a clear difference in the sound quality at the same output level btw the two.
Golds are more hi-fi oriented if you are a critical listener. The middle high frequencies sounds more airy and delicate. 

In any case if you intend to upgrade from one single classic speaker to one single gold speaker,  I wouldn’t do that unless you’re thinking to buy two golds and use them as a stereo couple. If your environment allows you to setup a stereo config and money is your concern, I would buy a second Classic to have a stereo pair. That makes the huge difference in the Phantom series.
(31-Jan-2020, 17:31)Nordic Wrote: I have to classic Phantom that is upgraded to 2000 w.

I upgraded from Classics to Golds about 2.5 years ago under the "Gold my Phantom" campaign, where one could essentially trade in Classics for Golds for the difference in list price.  Seemed like a no-brainer at the time and I haven't looked back since.  Apart from giving me AirPlay functionality and being a nice step up in SQ it solved a number of niggling issues I was having with my classics which were of different vintages and one of which was a very old pre-bluetooth version.  Now in retrospect it has become apparent that it also helped me dodge a bullet as that older unit almost certainly wouldn't have been upgradable to DOS 2 (my Golds upgraded to DOS 2 without any problems and I am happy to say have been well behaved ever since).  So although I haven't compared them side-by-side I just wanted to say that if Devialet were to run a similar promotion I would definitely go for it if I were you.

That said I would definitely agree with @massi.rav.  If you're currently only using one channel going from mono to stereo will make for a much bigger improvement than going from mono silver to mono gold.
(01-Feb-2020, 16:01)stutten Wrote:
(31-Jan-2020, 17:31)Nordic Wrote: Ik heb de klassieke Phantom die is opgewaardeerd naar 2000 W.
Nadenken over upgraden naar goud en zich afvragen is het waard of niet.

Skickat min min iPad med Tapatalk

Ik heb ongeveer 2,5 jaar geleden een upgrade uitgevoerd van Classics naar Golds in het kader van de "Gold my Phantom" -campagne, waar je in wezen Classics kon inruilen voor Golds voor het verschil in catalogusprijs. Het leek me in die tijd niet voor niets en sindsdien heb ik niet meer achterom gekeken. Afgezien van het feit dat ik AirPlay-functionaliteit kreeg en een leuke stap voorwaarts was in SQ, loste het een aantal niggling-problemen op die ik had met mijn klassiekers met verschillende jaargangen en een daarvan was een zeer oude pre-Bluetooth-versie. Nu achteraf is gebleken dat het me ook hielp om een kogel te ontwijken, omdat die oudere eenheid vrijwel zeker niet opgewaardeerd kon worden naar DOS 2 (mijn Golds zonder problemen opgewaardeerd naar DOS 2 en ik ben blij dat ik me goed gedragen heb sindsdien). Dus hoewel ik niet hebga er zeker voor als ik jou was.

Dat gezegd hebbende, ik zou het zeker eens zijn met @ "massi.rav". Als u momenteel slechts één kanaal gebruikt, gaat u van mono naar stereo voor een veel grotere verbetering dan van mono zilver naar mono goud.

+1