Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magico A3
KJ West One in Marylebone are hosting a launch of the new Magico A3 on Thursday 8th Feb at which Alon Wolf is due to make an appearance.

I'm quite intrigued, as these are the only Magico speakers I'm likely to be able to afford.

I might go along and see if they are good enough to tempt me away from my Martin Logans.
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
I’d be very interested to hear what you make of them. What ML’s do you have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus
I too would be very interested in your mpressios @ozthepoz.
The A3s are all aluminium, and the way the price is kept down is by not using the expensive round backed extrusion.
They have a Beryllium tweeter and nano-tec carbon fibre/graphene mid and bass drivers.
They appeal because they are sealed chambers or infinite baffle as it’s also known. They would be a lot easier to place in my room.
They are small too, Only 9.25 inches wide and 13inches deep.
But the best bit is the price:$9800, so we’ll probably be talking around £10,000 in the U.K. Not exactly cheap, but half the price of the S1 Mkll, which only have two drivers.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
It will be good to hear what they sound like. I've had the Magico S5s for a few years now and they fitted into my room much easier than Wilson Sasha's or even the Duettes. I've a very solid room (walls and floor) and various room nodes are very easy to excite with ported speakers. The S5s were described as 'a hell of a lot of speaker for the money' by one critic I spoke to and so I think the A3s will be winners.
Devialet 1000 Pro; Magico A5 loudspeakers; Metronome T3a Signature CD Transport; dCS Network Bridge; Kuzma M turntable; Kuzma 4Point14 tonearm; Koetsu Sky Blue; Benzmicro LPS; Audioquest Vodka Ethernet; Transparent Reference Digital RCA-RCA; Transparent Reference XL MM2 speaker cable; Transparent Reference mains cable; PS Audio P5 PowerPlant; Artesania and Finite Elemente equipment racks 
North Somerset, UK     
(03-Feb-2018, 19:03)disarmamant Wrote: I’d be very interested to hear what you make of them. What ML’s do you have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi - I have a pair of Spires. Love them, but they are not placed well in my room. Exploring small speakers, and the A3's might just be what I need if they can compare for transparency and speed.

I'll share my thoughts on here when I've heard them.
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
I am going to this event too, looking forward to it as I have S3 mkI and on the face of it the A3 sounds as though it may be better them with it more modern parts etc. Will post some impressions here afterwards.

FYI UK price is £11,998 according to the Absolute Sounds price list I received last week.
Devialet D400, Magico S3, Crystal Cable Dreamline Plus, Aurender N100H, PS Audio Premier, QNAP NAS
(05-Feb-2018, 09:17)Unclemonty Wrote: I am going to this event too, looking forward to it as I have S3 mkI and on the face of it the A3 sounds as though it may be better them with it more modern parts etc. Will post some impressions here afterwards.

FYI UK price is £11,998 according to the Absolute Sounds price list I received last week.
Why the disparity in prices between the U.K. and USA?
At the present exchange rate, $9,800 = £7017.35. That’s nearly £5000 difference.
We are being shafted here!
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(06-Feb-2018, 04:53)Axel Wrote:
(05-Feb-2018, 09:17)Unclemonty Wrote: I am going to this event too, looking forward to it as I have S3 mkI and on the face of it the A3 sounds as though it may be better them with it more modern parts etc.  Will post some impressions here afterwards.

At the present exchange rate, $9,800 = £7017.35. That’s nearly £5000 difference.

Does look bad but in the US you need to add state tax which is about 10%.
If you bought them in the US and imported them yourself it would be another 20% in Vat and about 8% in import duty + freight shipping = £9500 approx. In fact it would cost you a lot more in shipping as you would not get the preferential rates - especially with big lumps like Magico and Wilson 
That leaves £2500 for the importer and distributer who will set up the speakers correctly in your room - that is worth significant cash and peace of mind with Wilson, Magico and Martin Logan products which can be a real pain to install on your own
I know this cause I thought about doing it myself, but then realised all the hassle it would be!
Yes, the Importer takes a significant cut but that is business and I've always found that AS have given me good trade in deals when I have moved on or up from a model.

It might be comforting to know that our US friends suffer the same when we send them products from SME, B&W, KEF etc    Smile

K
Devialet 1000 Pro; Magico A5 loudspeakers; Metronome T3a Signature CD Transport; dCS Network Bridge; Kuzma M turntable; Kuzma 4Point14 tonearm; Koetsu Sky Blue; Benzmicro LPS; Audioquest Vodka Ethernet; Transparent Reference Digital RCA-RCA; Transparent Reference XL MM2 speaker cable; Transparent Reference mains cable; PS Audio P5 PowerPlant; Artesania and Finite Elemente equipment racks 
North Somerset, UK     
(05-Feb-2018, 09:17)Unclemonty Wrote: I am going to this event too, looking forward to it as I have S3 mkI and on the face of it the A3 sounds as though it may be better them with it more modern parts etc.  Will post some impressions here afterwards.

I believe in the US the quoted prices are ex sales tax plus the UK is a boat trip away and a smaller market, which always increases prices.

You're only being 'shafted' if you buy them though
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.

Don’t forget 20% VAT and 2.5-3% import duty. International shipping too. It’s not clear if the US price is “US only” meaning that international distributors need to add their margin. This frequently happens both ways for e.g. the Wilson Benesch Resolutions sell in the US for $70k, here they are £35k, quite a big mark up Stateside! 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK