Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magico A3
Dear all,

I was wondering whether some of you were using the Magico A3 with your devialet, what you think of them, where you are coming from,...

I am still happy about my WB Vectors, but I am starting to think about possible successors and the A3s are top candidates right now.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
Hi Bernard,

in search for a new speaker I've organized several listening sessions togehther with a friend of mine, who's perception of music differs very much from mine.
Together we agreed on this ranking
1 - Manger P2 -> I've ordered this one
2 - Magico A3 (me) / Paradigm Persona 3F (my friend)
3 - Piega Coax 511

Cheers
Joerg
Amp : D440 pro CI on Orea Bronze & HMS Suprema digital 75 Ohm link cable  / Power: Isotek Titan EVO3 with HMS Energia Suprema
        Speakers  : Manger P2 + HMS Suprema LS 
       Streaming : Primemini 4 Fanless NUC (Core i7-8650U vPro) with Roon Lifetime
         Analogue : Micro Seiki DDX1000 + SME 3012R (analogtubeaudio.de Tuning) +SPU Classic GM E MkII + HMS Suprema Phono C
     Multi-Player : Oppo UDP 203 / Power: HMS Energia SL/OV cable   
             Power : Isotek Genesis one w/o diplay 4 Aries, Oppo & DDX 1000,  

Zuerich, Switzerland
I have heard the A3 with all Devialets. Really liked them. I also liked the little fuller, or perhaps warmer, sound when paired with the 250 compared to the 440.
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini
Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
I’ve been looking to replace my B&W 804 d2’s. Found a used set of the A3’s, does anyone own a set of these?  Thoughts on pairing with 220, concerned with somethings, I have heard it may not have enough power to drive them properly.
Devialet 220 Pro CI, IsoAcoustics Orea Bronze, B&W 804D's, Isoacoustics Gia II,  PS Audio P12,  Synergistic Research Devialet spec power Cord, Siltech 770L speaker cables, Qobuz, Roon Lifetime
                                    GTA, Canada
They are great speakers. They are nice enough with my D200, but can deliver more with better amplification. I’ve had good luck with Accuphase pre/power (both class ab and a versions). Particularly, the bass grip, speed and dynamics are all superior on the Accuphase. The Devialet in comparison sounds more laid back, less exciting, but a good listen nonetheless.
Roon > AIR Ethernet > D200 > FS Accordo
Cables: Graditech Voima 1 power | Duelund WE12GA
Thanks for the information, it reaffirms what I have been reading hear and in other reviews, great speakers but to maximize them they need to be driven. I think it is prudent to wait out till stores open again and I can get to a retailer and hear them with a 220. As I retired 2 years ago this is my last major upgrade and need to make the right decision.
Devialet 220 Pro CI, IsoAcoustics Orea Bronze, B&W 804D's, Isoacoustics Gia II,  PS Audio P12,  Synergistic Research Devialet spec power Cord, Siltech 770L speaker cables, Qobuz, Roon Lifetime
                                    GTA, Canada
(23-Mar-2020, 13:05)Norty Wrote: Thanks for the information, it reaffirms what I have been reading hear and in other reviews, great speakers but to maximize them they need to be driven.  I think it is prudent to wait out till stores open again and I can get to a retailer and hear them with a 220.  As I retired 2 years ago this is my last major upgrade and need to make the right decision.

I've read /heared on numerous places that they can be a bit boring as well when driven with a very neutral amp like the Devialet. Didn't hear it myself, just passing information that I got from various persons and forums.
I've compared Magico S5 (2015) to B&W 802n and 804d3 in my house, amplified by Devialet 400.

I loved the Magico in many ways, especially the detail. I don't remember them being boring. I found them amazingly clear, detailed, precise, with low distortion. They had awesome low, detailed, and tight bass. They were good off-axis vertically and horizontally (better than B&W 802n but not as good as KEF LS50). However I didn't find the drivers well integrated. The midrange was recessed, the treble hot, and overall sound lacking in euphoria (I just never enjoyed the music as much even though I could hear more details in it). That's in comparison to B&W, which have recessed midrange, bright treble, but are voiced on the euphoric side of neutral. With the Magico S5 the bass was hard to control in my room, no matter where I positioned the speakers. I also had to change the volume for every track, which I don't have to do with any other speakers. So I reluctantly returned them as poorly suited to my room (they sounded great with my D400 in the shop where I bought them), and eventually settled on B&W 804d3 (would have chosen 802d3 if not for height and cost). I'm not insulting Magico: their Q7mkII is the best speaker I've heard, and I think they've improved every area I've complained about in the S5. I fully support hearing any speaker before buying them though, preferably in your room. Devialet amps are easy to carry to a dealer if they don't have them.
Thanks all for some great feedback. Like deviousalet I have issues with issues with both size, budget and an added kink of I can't have a speaker that is tilted back as I need to get around the armoire. I will wait till this epidemic subsides and allows me to get out to different places and to listen.

Best to all of you in these trying times.
                                    GTA, Canada