Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mains cables and filters do we need expensive ones?
Ahhh! I get it now!

What you are doing is- buying silence!

Sorry...it's my lunch-break, and I am having a chew on this greenery that the missus said was 'rocket'! Strange... it doesn't look like any 'rocket' I have seen before...
Peace Man!
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
(13-May-2015, 12:26)PhilP Wrote:
(12-May-2015, 19:13)f1eng Wrote: There is no technically sound mechanism by which a properly engineered piece of equipment, connected to a properly installed mains system could be influenced by the mains chord AFAIK.

Having written that, plenty of hifi enthusiasts are convinced that they make a difference.

My conclusion is either expectation bias, badly engineered equipment or something wrong with the mains is the cause of their opinion.

Ah, but have you tried the new Nordost Odin 2 mains cable? Priced at $16,999.99 for a 1.25m length, additional 1.25m increments are $4,999.99 

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles...-end-2015/

"Nordost’s newest addition to their Supreme Reference Series will unleash every facet of a live performance and allow listeners to fully immerse themselves in a complete and pure musical experience. Odin 2 doesn’t just set the standard; it blows the standards away."

Something that our delegation to the Munich show should certainly report back on...

Of course not!

Having spent my career in engineering, with several successful inventions and innovations to my name, the idea of reasonless pseudo scientific bollox makes my heart sink.

The human race has invented computers and gone to the moon, neither of which would have happened if this sort of bollox were actually true.

Talk about the blind leading the blind, and "never give a sucker an even break"

But that is just me. Spend your money however you wish...

As far as noise is concerned, a bit more noise gives the impression of more ambience, so a bit more noise probably sounds nicer to many.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(12-May-2015, 19:13)f1eng Wrote: There is no technically sound mechanism by which a properly engineered piece of equipment, connected to a properly installed mains system could be influenced by the mains chord AFAIK.

Having written that, plenty of hifi enthusiasts are convinced that they make a difference.

My conclusion is either expectation bias, badly engineered equipment or something wrong with the mains is the cause of their opinion.

Ah, but have you tried the new Nordost Odin 2 mains cable? Priced at $16,999.99 for a 1.25m length, additional 1.25m increments are $4,999.99 

"Nordost’s newest addition to their Supreme Reference Series will unleash every facet of a live performance and allow listeners to fully immerse themselves in a complete and pure musical experience. Odin 2 doesn’t just set the standard; it blows the standards away."

Something that our delegation to the Munich show should certainly report back on...

Everyone to their own economic stability!

My wallet says, ridiculous and my system, maybe and my head, no!

/M
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
(13-May-2015, 13:31)f1eng Wrote:

Of course not!

Having spent my career in engineering, with several successful inventions and innovations to my name, the idea of reasonless pseudo scientific bollox makes my heart sink.

The human race has invented computers and gone to the moon, neither of which would have happened if this sort of bollox were actually true.

As far as noise is concerned, a bit more noise gives the impression of more ambience, so a bit more noise probably sounds nicer to many.

In not defending either view but true engineering comes from pseudo scientific bollox ie inventions! I trust you are an engineer.

/M
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
(13-May-2015, 14:42)Mikeeo Wrote:
(13-May-2015, 13:31)f1eng Wrote:

Of course not!

In not defending either view but true engineering comes from pseudo scientific bollox ie inventions! I trust you are an engineer.

/M

I have invented several things. Probably the most successful was the Williams Active suspension system which won many Grands Prix and more than one World Championship.
All this was based on an innovative (IMHO...) and new use of sound physical principles.
No real inventions have ever come from pseudo scientific marketing bollox, but lots of profit has, since it seems having a logical and scientific mind is rarer than wild enthusiasm amongst consumers.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

f1eng-

What cables(brand/model) do you use?
Copper cables of adequate cross section for the current passed. I pay attention to good connection at both ends though.
I think they cost about £20 for 5m pair for the Goldmund Epilog 1&2, the cable for the Animas is the same as that used inside the speaker.

The mains cables are the ones I was using with the Goldmund kit befor I got my 2 D-Premiers.
Oxfordshire

(13-May-2015, 20:33)f1eng Wrote: Copper cables of adequate cross section for the current passed. I pay attention to good connection at both ends though.
I think they cost about £20 for 5m pair for the Goldmund Epilog 1&2, the cable for the Animas is the same as that used inside the speaker.

The mains cables are the ones I was using with the Goldmund kit befor I got my 2 D-Premiers.

I have just looked at your kit!  Rolleyes OMG I am Jealous! Way beyond the contents of my little purse! Sad I'd have to sell my house for those speakers!
Respect!
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.