Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modem VS Router / DHCP & NAT
Smile 
For those people who still having disconnection problems with their Phantoms and Dialog.

I have 3 Silver Phantoms and Dialog at home, and I really happy costumer...now :-)
I used to have so many problems with my Phantoms and Dialog that I almost gave up,  but at last I find out what I think it was the problem of the bad signal between the Dialog and Phantoms.

First of all the problem it was in my modem (My internet provider modem)
This days the modems you get from your internet provider are also Wi-Fi router, and mostly of the settings of these modems/routers are tight to the internet provider administration, and most of the time your don't have access to those settings. Those modems/routers comes by default with DHPC & NAT settings on, this is when the whole problems starts.

Devialet advice you to use and Apple Extreme or Express router to be connected with the Dialog. The Dialog need a very important request from your Apple router, your Apple router need the DHPC & NAT to be enable. From here the whole mess start :-) because your Modem/Router is also doing the same job as the Apple router, you will get an error message from the Apple router telling you that you have a network with Doble NAT.

Why you need to do to resolve all this mess is to enable your modem/router to work an Bridge Mode. One time in this mode your modem only job is to deliver the internet signal to your Apple router without overwriting Apple's router settings, so you have access to Apple's settings. Now you can enable the DHPC & NAT in your Apple device (router).

Now the only router delivering the IP addresses to your devices at home is the Apple one. From here the Dialog is clear to understand that your Apple router is giving it the permission to makes its on Network and delivering a clean signal to the Phantoms.

That is in the way I understood the whole process when I started to get how modems and routers works, I am not an expert but this method really did works for me and now I am a very happy costumer of Devialet :-) I did this process more than a month, and the whole system works without any problems, and the sounds is just amazing!

Remember your internet provider modem have to be in Bridge Mode and your Apple router have to enable DHCP & NAT thing :-) very,very, very  import. Hope your understand my english :-) and this method will help some people.

P.S. Before you start to do all this process, try to do a full reset to your Apple router, Dialog and Phantoms and start from cero.
Thank you Carlos. I have recently come to the same conclusion. My problem is that my ISP modem doesn't have "bridge" mode. I have asked repeatedly and get the same answer - no.

Do you or anyone else know if there is a way to make the modem work as if it were in bridge mode? Or should I just buy a vdsl modem? Thank you.
Or you can have your cable modem ( i.e. Verizon FIOS ) provide DHCP & NAT and put your Apple Extreme in Bridge mode and everything should work properly. This also involves disabling the WIFI component in the cable modem. I have done this for two people with nary a hitch and they get improved WIFI performance, note these are not people with Phantoms.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(26-Jan-2016, 03:41)baddog Wrote: Or you can have your cable modem ( i.e. Verizon FIOS ) provide DHCP & NAT and put your Apple Extreme in Bridge mode and everything should work properly. This also involves disabling the WIFI component in the cable modem. I have done this for two people with nary a hitch and they get improved WIFI performance, note these are not people with Phantoms.

I have disabled the WiFi component in the cable modem and use a netgear nighthawk r-7000 without any problem
Thank you for the write up. I just want to clarify one thing. As long as you use a Dialog all the communication with the Phantoms goes through the Dialog, not your router. The Dialog communicates with your router.
I
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(26-Jan-2016, 09:45)ragwo Wrote: Thank you for the write up. I just want to clarify one thing. As long as you use a Dialog all the communication with the Phantoms goes through the Dialog, not your router. The Dialog communicates with your router.

I am not really sure, while streaming and Spark stuff (source selection, volume control...) do go through the Dialog, two Phantoms in stereo will continue to work if you disconnect the Dialog.
Strange, I can't find the Phantoms among the gear connected to my network, only the Dialog.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage