Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moon Mind 180 - Questions about control points/server software
Thanks for the feedback. I do intend on spending some time speaking with the Simaudio crew this weekend at the Montreal Salon Hi-Fi about the app and what is planned for the long term. I heard from a Simaudio dealer today that they've dropped the price of the Mind (at least in CA) and are integrating the networking functionality to their DACs and other product lines. This would lead me to believe that a long term dev plan is on the table.

As a mid-to-long-term solution, the Moon Mind is appealing if the control point can offer a blend of what I had with the Linn and Naim app and a s/h unit would not cost too much $$$.

@Neffa - I installed Bubble UPnP on my NAS QNAP but have not yet get it up and running. Once I get the streamer sorted, I will tackle this.
Naim NAC-N 272 ➣ Naim XPSDR ➣ Naim NAP 200DR  ➣ Kudos Super 10 ➣ Siltech Explorer 90L  (Montreal, CA)
Hi, to be clear, I was talking about Bubble UPnP as a control point, not on the server (although they have a solution there too, I believe) - I use Asset as the server s/w running on Windows Home Server - it's accessed by Sonos, Naim and Linn devices as well as the MiND
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
Oh, got it. I have a Android tablet I might be able to install this on. thx
Naim NAC-N 272 ➣ Naim XPSDR ➣ Naim NAP 200DR  ➣ Kudos Super 10 ➣ Siltech Explorer 90L  (Montreal, CA)
The MiND is basic UPnP with proprietary Simaudio extensions which are only usable via their app. If you don't find the app very satisfactory like I didn't, to use any other control point you'll either have to accept a basic experience (plays one track after another so long as you keep the control point device on & active, no gapless playback) or use BubbleUPNP Server on a server on your network (i.e NAS if there's a package for it) to provide Openhome functionality - track queuing regardless of control point state, gapless.
That is exactly what I did. I installed Bubble UPnP on the QNAP to provide Openhome functionality. Been using the Lumin app, which is nicest interface I've tried so far. Will probably also give the new Linn a try to compare.

You are correct, the MiND app is fairly basic, looks somewhat dated but it seemed stable when I first set up the Moon Mind this morning. It was a toss up between the Moon and the Aries but I ended up with the Moon due to being about half the the price of an Auralic, I got great deal from a dealer attending the hi-fi show this weekend and the Simaudio rep confirmed that the app will get a update soon and that a new version with Tidal integration is planned in a few months. All around good news.

Although I've not had the time to do any critical listening , the streamer tends to sound more relaxed and musical. Thank you all for the great feedback. We'll now begin the search for a cost effective coaxial cable !!!
Thats good news. The app is stable on the iPad so long as I do nothing else with it!
Devialet 250 FW 9.0.1 SOLD
Replaced with Naim NSC222 NPX300 and NAP250 NC

Atohm GT SE1, REL stereo Subwoofers. Atacama stands filled with atabites. Granite speaker stand plinths. Mogami speaker cables, Music Works heavy duty power cable.
Quadraspire Acrylic Reference rack
Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1
- Qobuz/Audirvana Studio/ Audirvana app on iPad (Via Mac mini)
2. Vertere DG-1 with Magneto upgraded to AT VML540ML fine line stylus and Vertere Phono-1

(30-Mar-2015, 03:56)Ants Wrote: the Simaudio rep confirmed that the app will get a update soon and that a new version with Tidal integration is planned in a few months. 

It does amaze how these companies can be so slow, particularly when you consider the fast changing competitive landscape! This update should have come out a year ago and Tidal/Qobuz/Spotify etc integration should be in the bag by now. The MiND 180 was launched in April 2012, can you believe it? It's had 3 versions of the CP in almost 3 years.

I used to own a MiND and loved it but in the end got fed up by the lack of CP/firmware updates. There were also rumours of improved power supplies which never materialised.

Come to think of it it's also amazing how so many hi-fi companies are desperately trying to catch up on the online streaming thing. It's not as though it's suddenly appeared out of nowhere!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(31-Mar-2015, 10:30)DelaneyB Wrote: Thats good news. The app is stable on the iPad so long as I do nothing else with it!

Ha! Yes, backgrounding the app and doing something else was the killer, I found.
(31-Mar-2015, 10:53)GuillaumeB Wrote: It does amaze how these companies can be so slow, particularly when you consider the fast changing competitive landscape! This update should have come out a year ago and Tidal/Qobuz/Spotify etc integration should be in the bag by now. The MiND 180 was launched in April 2012, can you believe it? It's had 3 versions of the CP in almost 3 years.

I used to own a MiND and loved it but in the end got fed up by the lack of CP/firmware updates. There were also rumours of improved power supplies which never materialised.

Come to think of it it's also amazing how so many hi-fi companies are desperately trying to catch up on the online streaming thing. It's not as though it's suddenly appeared out of nowhere!

It does seem that way. Other than Linn who seem to be on top of it and provided Tidal integration for their streamers very early in the process, the other big names are slow. Spotify came to Naim only a few months ago and Simaudio realized that this is the direction in which we are heading and are catching up with new software offerings.
I purchased a used Moon that I will receive in a couple of days.
For now I installed the app Mind Controller which replaces the mind hd app.
DEVIALET 400 - RPI3 + DIGIONE picoreplayer - APERTURA ONIRA -