Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving from 220pro to 440pro (dual mono)
No, a copper cable, since it needs to conduct the 12 volt signal

There is no audible improvement using a trigger cable. I only used it since the dealer supplied a cable and told me to use it this way. He has been a Devialet agent for many years, so I just applied his instruction

The "improvement" I mentioned was moving from a 220PRO to a 440PRO. But we know this, it is well documented
               Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Mercury Pi2 & Gentoo,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  ML Electromotion, REL sub.  2 x Dachshunds
So!! 
Finally got my hands on a second 220pro last night ... came home and set it up as a dual mono 440pro with my existing 220pro using the coax to xlr connection path between master & slave (i'll try to coax to coax digital between master & slave later today).
Ended up being awake till 1am and definitely easy to make some initial impressions
1. overall retains the same sonic signature ... devialet sound for sure
2 definitely hearing more nuances and micro details in many recordings - there are things that previously i was either unaware of or muddled in the mix that just have their own little space to breathe now is the best way i can describe it. Additionally, decay of cymbals is definitely more prolonged and textured 
3. Better definition of each instrument even in complex passages 
4. Presentation is a little more laid back than forward esp with the vocals despite the additional texture in voice 
5. Music feels a bit more effortless 
6. Not noticed any major change in soundstage width/ height. But do feel more depth
7. Not every track has the same "jump"... but in tracks that have more layered elements, it's definitely palpable

Damn - decisions. I'll have the loaner for another 3-4 days.. need to make my mind up.
Signal path: Macbook Pro (Qobuz/ Vox Player) > Router > CAT 8 Ethernet > Devialet 220 pro > Shunyata Delta speaker cables > Wilson Sabrina speakers

Power path: Wall outlet > Shunyata Delta power cable > Devialet 220 pro
(07-Mar-2024, 18:10)zambie Wrote: So!! 
Finally got my hands on a second 220pro last night ... came home and set it up as a dual mono 440pro with my existing 220pro using the coax to xlr connection path between master & slave (i'll try to coax to coax digital between master & slave later today).
Ended up being awake till 1am and definitely easy to make some initial impressions
2 definitely hearing more nuances and micro details in many recordings - there are things that previously i was either unaware of or muddled in the mix that just have their own little space to breathe now is the best way i can describe it. Additionally, decay of cymbals is definitely more prolonged and textured 
4. Presentation is a little more laid back than forward esp with the vocals despite the additional texture in voice 
6. Not noticed any major change in soundstage width/ height. But do feel more depth
7. Not every track has the same "jump"... but in tracks that have more layered elements, it's definitely palpable

Damn - decisions. I'll have the loaner for another 3-4 days.. need to make my mind up.

Oh, you're doomed.  It's hard to unhear it once you've spent time with dual mono.  Same thing happened to me.  Good luck with that decision.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(08-Mar-2024, 15:01)mdconnelly Wrote:
(07-Mar-2024, 18:10)zambie Wrote: So!! 

Oh, you're doomed.  It's hard to unhear it once you've spent time with dual mono.  Same thing happened to me.  Good luck with that decision.
lol - i'm dreading putting it back to 220pro mode to do the A/B contrast - sunday is when that happens. The person I got the loaner from is super kind and willing to allow me to have it for another week, but I think I'll have a very unproductive week (for every other element of my life outside of listening to music) if I end up keeping it!! ... ugh.
Signal path: Macbook Pro (Qobuz/ Vox Player) > Router > CAT 8 Ethernet > Devialet 220 pro > Shunyata Delta speaker cables > Wilson Sabrina speakers

Power path: Wall outlet > Shunyata Delta power cable > Devialet 220 pro
Yes, ensuring both 220pro units have the same firmware is crucial. Connecting them through coax on the digital 1 port is the right approach for daisy-chaining. Make sure to double-check power requirements and consider any potential signal degradation with longer cable runs. Testing thoroughly before committing to any permanent setup is wise. Good luck with your audition!