Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Moving from Sonos to Phantoms
"May I ask what systems you compared them to?"

A more expensive "normal" Devialet amplifier with stand-mount speakers - sounded dull and unexciting as compared to the Phantoms. Sorry, being underimpressed I did not note its name or number. Also an Arcam AVR750 (as a replacement for my current AVR300 with Spendor S5e and surrounds) - it was always going to be a compromise for films and for straight music - and it was, too much.

My wife came along with me yesterday to listen. She is generally not too worried about the sound quality of the music she listens to, but she is realistic and I trust her judgement more than my own; I worry in case I get carried away in my enthusiasm! Within a minute of listening to the Phantoms she remarked that she could not tell that the music was coming from the speakers. She had no doubt that the detail and quality of the sound was was way beyond what we had, and from the other systems we listened to. (And she wouldn't have the Kef Blades in our house, and neither would I.)
(30-Jul-2015, 22:00)andrew_brown Wrote: "May I ask what systems you compared them to?"

A more expensive "normal" Devialet amplifier with stand-mount speakers - sounded dull and unexciting as compared to the Phantoms.  Sorry, being underimpressed I did not note its name or number.  Also an Arcam AVR750 (as a replacement for my current AVR300 with Spendor S5e and surrounds) - it was always going to be a compromise for films and for straight music - and it was, too much.  

My wife came along with me yesterday to listen.  She is generally not too worried about the sound quality of the music she listens to, but she is realistic and I trust her judgement more than my own;  I worry in case I get carried away in my enthusiasm!   Within a minute of listening to the Phantoms she remarked that she could not tell that the music was coming from the speakers.  She had no doubt that the detail and quality of the sound was was way beyond what we had, and from the other systems we listened to.  (And she wouldn't have the Kef Blades in our house, and neither would I.)

Hey!  What's this!  KEF Blade abuse!  Call the authorities, this must stop.  

Although I presume you are referring to the fact that it could possibly be considered that the Phantoms are a touch less imposing than the Blades in a domestic environment?

Just out of idle curiosity, the only places I can think of that might have the both the KEF Blade, Devialet Expert & the Phantoms would be Stoneaudio or Oxford Audio Consultants, is this where you had your demo?

One thing, when I listened to the Phantoms, with much of the music the bass actually sounded very Blade like, a remarkable achievement in my view, all things considered.
Hi Confused.

I was referring to the imposing size and blackness of the KEF's - they did sound rather nice. (I do have a rather nice pair of smaller KEFs which I bought circa 1970 and used as my main speakers for over 30 years, so I have nothing against KEFs.)

The demo was in Loud and Clear in Edinburgh. I thought that until this month the only place to buy Phantoms in UK was in Harrods?
(30-Jul-2015, 22:00)andrew_brown Wrote: "May I ask what systems you compared them to?"

A more expensive "normal" Devialet amplifier with stand-mount speakers - sounded dull and unexciting as compared to the Phantoms.  Sorry, being underimpressed I did not note its name or number.  Also an Arcam AVR750 (as a replacement for my current AVR300 with Spendor S5e and surrounds) - it was always going to be a compromise for films and for straight music - and it was, too much.  

My wife came along with me yesterday to listen.  She is generally not too worried about the sound quality of the music she listens to, but she is realistic and I trust her judgement more than my own;  I worry in case I get carried away in my enthusiasm!   Within a minute of listening to the Phantoms she remarked that she could not tell that the music was coming from the speakers.  She had no doubt that the detail and quality of the sound was was way beyond what we had, and from the other systems we listened to.  (And she wouldn't have the Kef Blades in our house, and neither would I.)

Thanks, andrew_brown

Was this the one you can not name?

http://en.devialet.com/expert/#models/ex...-devialet/
(31-Jul-2015, 19:18)Dvlt PhD Wrote:

Thanks, andrew_brown

I have compared my D120/Athoms GT1 with 2 Silver Phantoms (an one White Phantom) for some days with a lot of different music. Sorry but my impression was completely different:

The Phantoms sounded dull and a little like a ghetto blaster with a lot of deep bass in comparison to the D120/Athoms GT1 and I was not alone with this assessment.
(31-Jul-2015, 19:55)midi Wrote:
(31-Jul-2015, 19:18)Dvlt PhD Wrote:

Thanks, andrew_brown

I have compared my D120/Athoms GT1 with 2 Silver Phantoms (an one White Phantom) for some days with a lot of different music. Sorry but my impression was completely different:

The Phantoms sounded dull and a little like a ghetto blaster with a lot of deep bass in comparison to the D120/Athoms GT1 and I was not alone with this assessment.

I'm sitting here listening to a Clarinet Concerto - all I can say if this is what a ghetto blaster sounds like, then I can only imagine what your D120/Athoms must sound like - and Lord knows what my B&W 803 Diamonds must be like, cos these are way better them. Any case good luck to you Wink
I'm sitting here listening to a Clarinet Concerto - all I can say if this is what a ghetto blaster sounds like, then I can only imagine what your D120/Athoms must sound like - and Lord knows what my B&W 803 Diamonds must be like, cos these are way better them. Any case  good luck to you  Wink
[/quote]

Ok, I have a bit exaggerated with my comparison to a ghetto blaster Big Grin

But If you ask me blindfolded, which of both sounds is more similar to a ghetto blaster I would say the Phantoms...

But certainly, the Phantoms are so far away from a ghetto blaster, as the Athoms are away from being dull. I had the advantage to hear both systems in a direct comparison under same conditions, not only for a few minutes or hours, but for a weekend and everyone who was with me ("objective" people, because they didn´t heard what they wanted to hear, they were not interested in buying Athoms or Phantoms), has felt the same way.

I have still one Phantom in use, because I like it for some kind of music and because of the ease of use. But when I want to hear really music, I am using my D120/Athoms.

I haven´t really heard your B&W 803, but I have had the Audio Physics Tempo (far away from 50.000,00 €) before and I would say that they are certainly also not worse than the Phantoms.
(01-Aug-2015, 18:36)midi Wrote: I have still one Phantom in use, because I like it for some kind of music and because of the ease of use. But when I want to hear really music, I am using my D120/Athoms.

midi,

Can you mention some music examples, please?

Thanks
(02-Aug-2015, 02:35)Dvlt PhD Wrote:
(01-Aug-2015, 18:36)midi Wrote: I have still one Phantom in use, because I like it for some kind of music and because of the ease of use. But when I want to hear really music, I am using my D120/Athoms.

midi,

Can you mention some music examples, please?

Thanks

Bass emphasized electronic music without vocals.