Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music Streamer + Phantoms
Hi,

Does one of you use a music streamer with a pair of phantoms ?
If so, which one, and do you managed to stream high definition files like DSF / WAV at 24/192 or above without issues ?

Thank you.
Phantom supports up to 192kHz PCM. DSF/DSD or anything higher than 192 will not work and must be transcoded (DSF/DSD) or down sampled (PCM) by your player before sending it to Phantom. Older Phantoms used to support up to 192kHz on it's Toslink input. Today this is specified to 96kHz. Currently UPnP supports up to 192kHz on ethernet/wifi as the only streaming protocol. Phantom also does re-sampling to 192kHz for all lower sample rates.
Audirvana supports Phantoms directly on UPnP. There may be others too. Roon can play to Phantoms, but currently only via AirPlay (16/44.1). I know of no streamers that can use UPnP to Phantoms, but several can play to it's Toslink port (Bluesound Node 2i for example...)
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(08-Jan-2021, 20:13)ogs Wrote: Phantom supports up to 192kHz PCM. DSF/DSD or anything higher than 192 will not work and must be transcoded (DSF/DSD) or down sampled (PCM) by your player before sending it to Phantom. Older Phantoms used to support up to 192kHz on it's Toslink input. Today this is specified to 96kHz. Currently UPnP supports up to 192kHz on ethernet/wifi as the only streaming protocol. Phantom also does re-sampling to 192kHz for all lower sample rates.
Audirvana supports Phantoms directly on UPnP. There may be others too. Roon can play to Phantoms, but currently only via AirPlay (16/44.1). I know of no streamers that can use UPnP to Phantoms, but several can play to it's Toslink port (Bluesound Node 2i for example...)

Thank you very much for all the information !
Was using MinimServer (running on Intel NUC) as UPnP server to Phantom Golds. In theory, it could convert DSD/DSF to PCM using its optional MinimStreamer add-on, but it did not sound as good as the PCM equivalent (from same master). So ended up converting DSD/DSF to PCM manually...

You can also use Roon to convert DSF/DSD on the fly to PCM and use LMS (Logitech Media Server) as a UPnP conduit. This required some tweaking of LMS.
(08-Jan-2021, 19:28)pmichellon Wrote: Hi,

If so, which one, and do you managed to stream high definition files like DSF / WAV at 24/192 or above without issues ?

Thank you.

I used a combination of Minim Server and Bubble UPnP running on a Mac mini for quite some time, but switched now to Audirvana (with Audirvana Remote on iPad and iPhone) using UPnP. So far the most convenient and reliable solution I found apart from a Roon setup. It sells for a reasonable price and I am quite happy with it.

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)
(08-Jan-2021, 22:32)Snoopy8 Wrote: You can also use Roon to convert DSF/DSD on the fly to PCM and use LMS (Logitech Media Server) as a UPnP conduit.  This required some tweaking of LMS.

Have you successfully used this method? I've tried all the different methods I could find trying to get a LMS to UPnP bridge to work with Phantom, but the sounds cuts after a while regardless of whether I use the original plug in found at github, the iFi UPnP bridge software or a MicroRendu. If you have a success formula please share it, I would highly appreciate it.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(09-Jan-2021, 00:54)ragwo Wrote: Have you successfully used this method? I've tried all the different methods I could find trying to get a LMS to UPnP bridge to work with Phantom, but the sounds cuts after a while regardless of whether I use the original plug in found at github, the iFi UPnP bridge software or a MicroRendu. If you have a success formula please share it, I would highly appreciate it.
I am sorry, but I no longer own that setup. I remember It took me a while to get it going but sadly I did not document it. I found Room did not give me enough value.
(08-Jan-2021, 19:28)pmichellon Wrote: Hi,

Thank you.

I have both Sonos Connects and Bluesound Node2is connected to my phantoms.  Both work great for casual listening.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
Thank you to everyone who answered.

One last question from my end :

I own 2 Phantom Silver from Dec. 2015, therefore it seems 24/192 is playing fine. Right now I use ROON on a MacBook Pro to play files stored on my Synology NAS via airplay (I also own an airplay compatible Dialog). I understand that waiting for ROON to certify the Phantom as ROON Ready is probably the easiest and natural thing to do. However, would my files benefit from an external DAC ? Sorry for being such a newbie but I try to understand if there’s a way to improve the existing setup (e.g. NAS connected to DAC connected to Phantom, or any other option - I don’t even know whether DACs can be connected directly to NAS via their Ethernet ports).

Thank you.
Patrice
An external DAC would not solve it, but see this thread: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-DAC-for-...tom-Stereo
As your Silvers support 192kHz on optical that is probably your best option now, but being a Roon user you may also wait for RAAT and see what that brings before buying anything.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB