Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music servers and Dialog
Will Dialog ever be able to play music directly from music servers (e.g. Minimserver, Jriver etc) over the network?  If dialog will be able to do this, it will be a huge help for me who is building a DIY music server.  NAS feature will stream music directly to dialog and get rid of all the noise from sound interfaces and power supplies.  Is it coming anytime soon?
Remote >> 2x Silver Phantoms << Eth << Dialog UPNP << JRiver MediaCenter 24 - Ubuntu 18.04 x64 [VMWare] << File server - Windows 10 x64 [Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F, Xeon E3-1425 v5, 46 Tb, 16Gb DDR4 ECC]    * Spark is only used to update firmware *
(01-Nov-2015, 03:15)sekriT Wrote: Will Dialog ever be able to play music directly from music servers (e.g. Minimserver, Jriver etc) over the network?  If dialog will be able to do this, it will be a huge help for me who is building a DIY music server.  NAS feature will stream music directly to dialog and get rid of all the noise from sound interfaces and power supplies.  Is it coming anytime soon?

The white paper for Phantom from December 2014, in the SPARK & DIALOG description the last paragraph says  "... UPnP compatibility to access music from NAS devices..."

According to feedback I've had from Devialet, this is still in their plans. If they ever get to actually do it is another question...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I called Devialet and confirmed that they are still planning to integrate Upnp DLNA (server) feature to dialog. But it may take months. USB audio input function will be activated sooner.
Remote >> 2x Silver Phantoms << Eth << Dialog UPNP << JRiver MediaCenter 24 - Ubuntu 18.04 x64 [VMWare] << File server - Windows 10 x64 [Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F, Xeon E3-1425 v5, 46 Tb, 16Gb DDR4 ECC]    * Spark is only used to update firmware *
I am new to this, just got my pc music to play through Ethernet connection to dialog to stereo phantoms, all Ethernet connected. Network is from router/modem to a gigabit switch (not managed) then Ethernet single runs to all devices from there ..... Dialog, Phantoms, computers, (soon Apple TV). Seems to work so far first with tidal streaming music set up in SPARK on an iPad. Now, music from pc works.

With this setup, it seems to me, the computer is the music server. This is good as I can access my computer music files. Can you please discuss a bit the benefits of going to Eg MINIMSERVER over the network? I don't know what this is and why go to it, or what NAS stands for or what UPNP and DNLA server is. Is this streaming audio similar to what is posible now, e.g. TIDAL. But maybe this is not what you mean?

As far as USB audio coming first, would that be a better way to connect my pc (Or ?) to dialog than Ethernet? Thank you for deepening perspective.
(09-Nov-2015, 21:10)rjalder Wrote: With this setup, it seems to me, the computer is the music server.  This is good as I can access my computer music files.   Can you please discuss a bit the benefits of going to Eg MINIMSERVER over the network?  I don't know what this is and why go to it, or what NAS stands for or what UPNP and DNLA server is.
If you have a desktop and a laptop, you may want a dedicated server for storing files which can also be the master database for your music also.  This separate music server is a "Network Attached Storage" device or NAS.  Think of it as a lightweight, low-power, high energy efficiency computer whose job is just to serve music.
UPNP/DLNA is a multiplatform standard that is used by Xbox, Playstation, Linn DS, Naim, Olive, etc.  Right now, owners of a NAS have to use another computer to act as the music server (which is less efficient).
Devialet would have to enable Dialog to be the computer that accesses the UPNP/DLNA server or write Spark for common NAS operating systems such as Synology OS.
(09-Nov-2015, 21:10)rjalder Wrote: I am new to this, just got my pc music to play through Ethernet connection to dialog to stereo phantoms, all Ethernet connected.    Network is from router/modem to a gigabit switch (not managed) then Ethernet single runs to all devices from there ..... Dialog, Phantoms, computers, (soon Apple TV).   Seems to work so far first with tidal streaming music set up in SPARK on an iPad.   Now, music from pc works.

With this setup, it seems to me, the computer is the music server.  This is good as I can access my computer music files.   Can you please discuss a bit the benefits of going to Eg MINIMSERVER over the network?  I don't know what this is and why go to it, or what NAS stands for or what UPNP and DNLA server is.   Is this streaming audio similar to what is posible now, e.g. TIDAL.   But maybe this is not what you mean?

As far as USB audio coming first, would that be a better way to connect my pc (Or ?) to dialog than Ethernet?  Thank you for deepening perspective.

You can do more with a dedicated server than your desktop.  For example, you can save a lot more music. Desktops have very limited SATA connectors. Servers can use 4-10 hard disks and run them in RAID.  Your archive will go up in smoke if something happens to your desktop. Your files will be better protected against disk failures, viruses etc on server. Servers are usually online when you need them but desktops needs to wake up to serve music/video etc.  If you are receiving music through network, you will bypass soundcard and related noises.
(09-Nov-2015, 22:24)AlanD Wrote: Devialet would have to enable Dialog to be the computer that accesses the UPNP/DLNA server or write Spark for common NAS operating systems such as Synology OS.

I can't agree more. I asked the Devialet support team for a date bu which either UPnP would be supported, or a Synology package would be available (pretty simple to get a 'Http get' command on a linux-powered NAS...) but the answer was not so reassuring: no date confirmed, if ever...

Keep your fingers crossed...
Considering their progress on this line of work and their attitude, I would suggest they stop inventing the wheel but instead cooperate closely with Roon Labs and let them do most of the work required
Wish I could connect a usb-powered 4TB hard-drive to the Dialog, and let it be the main source for music. That would make me super happy.
Hi.
Would you be interested in running Wireshark on the local network while turning on Phantoms/Dialog, while playing local music or streaming sources, to see how Dialog and Phantoms coordinate?
This may help to create some utility to expand the current functionality, like adding more streaming sources and/or creating a virtual sound output device for operating system that streams directly to the speakers.

If so, please feel free to answer here or PM and will explain how to make the capture (other that downloading Wireshark).