Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mutec MC-3+ USB
(20-Dec-2017, 14:30)Sharone Wrote: Hi Zdenes,
Yes, it is safe to terminate both BNC inputs and outputs.
The spdif input and all BNC outputs are terminated in my setup.

I notice that you are also using Mutec REF-10. Are you getting good results from it?Big Grin

I think you know the answer to that question  Cool
Are you happy with the Neotech clock cable? Or is the Acrolink your clock cable?
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
(22-Dec-2017, 11:17)zdenes Wrote:
(20-Dec-2017, 14:30)Sharone Wrote: Hi Zdenes,
Yes, it is safe to terminate both BNC inputs and outputs.
The spdif input and all BNC outputs are terminated in my setup.

I notice that you are also using Mutec REF-10. Are you getting good results from it?Big Grin

I think you know the answer to that question  Cool
Are you happy with the Neotech clock cable? Or is the Acrolink your clock cable?

The Neotech is my clock cable. It is a pure silver 75 ohm cable and I am pretty surprised with the results considering its price. It retains the open and uncolored sound I like.

The Acrolink is a 110ohm AES cable from Mutec 3+ USB to Devialet master.
I use the same RCA variant for the link between master and slave, connecting to the slave via AES input using RCA to AES adapter. In this way, I have the same cable type for AES input and link cable.
440 Pro, Acrolink 7N-DA2090 Digital cable, Plixir Elite BAC 3000 Power Conditioner, Plixir The Statement Balanced Power Cord
Rega RP10, Melco N1-S38, Melco S100 Audiophile Dataswitch, ADOT MC01, Diva Audio & 7N-4030 Leggenda Power Cords, Plixir BDC LPS, Habst Ultra III USB cable, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Acrolink 7N-DA2090 AES/EBU cable, Mutec REF 10, Habst Digital BNC cable
Vivid Giya G4, Acrolink 7N-S1400 Leggenda Speaker cables
PSI AVAA C20 Active Bass Trap
bFly-audio Master, Cube, b.Disc Absorbers
Artnovion Andrea Absorbers
@Sharone - I see you have both a 440Pro and a Mutec MC3+USB / REF10. Out of interest, have you had the Core Infinity board upgrade yet? If so, I would be fascinated to learn how you think the MC3/REF10 combination sounds versus streaming direct via the Core Infinity board. That is assuming you can get the CI board working! A lot of 'ifs' I know, but it would be a useful reference point for someone like myself who is considering getting a REF10 next year.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(22-Dec-2017, 13:11)Confused Wrote: @Sharone - I see you have both a 440Pro and a Mutec MC3+USB / REF10.  Out of interest, have you had the Core Infinity board upgrade yet?  If so, I would be fascinated to learn how you think the MC3/REF10 combination sounds versus streaming direct via the Core Infinity board.  That is assuming you can get the CI board working!  A lot of 'ifs' I know, but it would be a useful reference point for someone like myself who is considering getting a REF10 next year.

@Confused

Unfortunately my 440 Pro is not CI upgraded yet. My local dealer has indicated that the upgrade will only carried out in Feb 2018.

As a matter of fact, I have gotten my Melco earlier this year, in hope that I may be able to simplify my setup with only ethernet connection between Melco and 440 Pro, if the sound quality is better than with Mutec MC-3+ usb in between.

Unfortunately, the CI upgrade is taking too long to happen and I cannot resist the temptation after reading so many good reviews regarding REF-10. I am pretty satisfied with the improvements with REF-10.

I can make some comparisons in 2-3 months' time. Not sure whether you can wait this long.   Rolleyes
440 Pro, Acrolink 7N-DA2090 Digital cable, Plixir Elite BAC 3000 Power Conditioner, Plixir The Statement Balanced Power Cord
Rega RP10, Melco N1-S38, Melco S100 Audiophile Dataswitch, ADOT MC01, Diva Audio & 7N-4030 Leggenda Power Cords, Plixir BDC LPS, Habst Ultra III USB cable, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Acrolink 7N-DA2090 AES/EBU cable, Mutec REF 10, Habst Digital BNC cable
Vivid Giya G4, Acrolink 7N-S1400 Leggenda Speaker cables
PSI AVAA C20 Active Bass Trap
bFly-audio Master, Cube, b.Disc Absorbers
Artnovion Andrea Absorbers
(22-Dec-2017, 15:44)Sharone Wrote:
(22-Dec-2017, 13:11)Confused Wrote: @Sharone - I see you have both a 440Pro and a Mutec MC3+USB / REF10.  Out of interest, have you had the Core Infinity board upgrade yet?  If so, I would be fascinated to learn how you think the MC3/REF10 combination sounds versus streaming direct via the Core Infinity board.  That is assuming you can get the CI board working!  A lot of 'ifs' I know, but it would be a useful reference point for someone like myself who is considering getting a REF10 next year.

@Confused

Unfortunately my 440 Pro is not CI upgraded yet. My local dealer has indicated that the upgrade will only carried out in Feb 2018.

As a matter of fact, I have gotten my Melco earlier this year, in hope that I may be able to simplify my setup with only ethernet connection between Melco and 440 Pro, if the sound quality is better than with Mutec MC-3+ usb in between.

Unfortunately, the CI upgrade is taking too long to happen and I cannot resist the temptation after reading so many good reviews regarding REF-10. I am pretty satisfied with the improvements with REF-10.

I can make some comparisons in 2-3 months' time. Not sure whether you can wait this long.   Rolleyes

Thanks for the feedback.  As for how long I can wait, I did make a very definite decision that I would not upgrade my 'front end' until I had a pretty good idea how good the new OS board is.  Thinking about it, that decision was made in the Autumn of 2016, it has been a very long wait......   Only a month to go now.... Sad
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
[/quote]

The Neotech is my clock cable. It is a pure silver 75 ohm cable and I am pretty surprised with the results considering its price. It retains the open and uncolored sound I like.

The Acrolink is a 110ohm AES cable from Mutec 3+ USB to Devialet master.
I use the same RCA variant for the link between master and slave, connecting to the slave via AES input using RCA to AES adapter. In this way, I have the same cable type for AES input and link cable.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I had the same Neotech cable terminated with RCA plugs and wanted to DIY a clock cable from it but it didn't perform too well as a digital cable (I used my Oppo UDP-203 and the Devialet to test), so I sold it.
I have clock cables the Oyaide FTVS-510 and the Oyaide NEO AS808R both DIY terminated to BNC and kept very short. I also have a factory BNC Oyaide DB-510 (same FTVS conductor). I need two clock cables as one goes into the SOtM SMS-200 ultra.
I am still not sure which cable is better but for now I think the copper one which has air insulation sounds more dynamic. I wish I could try the Habst that Mutec recommends.
Acoustic Revive AES/EBU between MC3 and the Devialet and a hybrid cable between the two Devialets which I will detail in the thread that has been dealing with this question.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
Recently I have purchased an Aavik U-300 and now I want to optimize the streaming part.
I am using an Aurender N100H and am thinking about the following options:

- Trade my N100H for a N10 (with the better word clock, SPDIF only)
- Keep the N100H and add a MUTEC MC-3+ USB (and a Mutec REF10 at a later stage)

With the Devialet D200 the AES input was definitely the best digital input, on the Aavik DAC there is no "preferred" input as all use an inboard word clock and the USB connection also has a galvanic isolation.

Any thoughts or ideas are apreciated

Olaf
Main Set: Aavik U-300, Magico V3, Wadia 381i, Ayre DX-5 dsd, NBS Black label / Omega 1, Crystal Dreamline, Cardas Clear, Ansuz Ceramic, Aurender N100H, purpose build rack Bubinga wood (175kg rack only)

Second set: Devialet 200, Raidho X1, JL Audio F110 Subs (2x), Oppo BDP103D with audiopraise board, Melco N1A, Uptone Regen, and lots of Ansuz goodies

I just got the CI upgrade yesterday, and have a brief comparison of 

- RoonAir through Ethernet to Devialet; vs
- my existing sotm sms-200 -> mutec with Cybershaft clock -> AES of Devialet

Unfortunately I've to tell the latter is still better in SQ, and the CI upgrade improve the SQ of AES input as well.
Roon HQP > sotm sms-200 > mutec (Cybershaft) > 220 Pro > Cardas Cygnus > Avalon IDEA
Denali 2000T
Question for all Mutec MC3+ USB owners:

Would it be possible:

MacMini - USB - Mutec MC3+USB - AES - 2200PRO CI

and

MacMini - USB - Mutec MC3+USB - Toslink - Dialog (to the Phantoms)

all controlled by Audirvana on the Mac Mini and Audirvana+ on the iOS devices ?

How could I easily switch on the Mutec between AES and Toslink output (between the Expert and the Phantoms) ?

Do you think I would get a real improvement with the Mutec on both systems (Expert and Phantoms) ?

Thanks !
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
According to the Introduction in its manual, the MC-3+USB sends output to AES and Toslink simultaneously:

Quote:Transfers USB audio streams into AES3 and S/P-DIF and outputs those to five digital audio formats simultaneously

There doesn't seem to be a way to turn off individual outputs so you can route an input signal to only one output device (not sure whether that's what you had in mind).

On the other hand, latency differences might be a problem if you want to use the Expert and Phantoms at the same time.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK