Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My AIR Streaming journey today
So, lately I was bummed because I use my Mac laptop to stream music to my Devialet 200 using Tidal Exclusive mode, which on MQA tracks would switch to either 96khz/24 bits or 88.2khz/24 bits for many Master quality recordings. At some point that stopped working and Tidal sort of dropped the exclusive mode to the Devialet AIR. I always get 44.1khz/24bits Confused . Still I have to say that the MQA records still sound great and very punchy, lots of detail. I would even say that the Mac is obviously doing some re-sampling when playing records that would normally be 96khz/24bits like Mark Knopfler's Tracker album.
Note that exclusive mode on Tidal however works perfectly if I connect the laptop directly via the USB cable to the Devialet. In that case, I see that I get the full sound resolution on every Master record. USB however does not do it for me as for one I hear that AIR when in its full glory sounds better and allows me to sit in my couch and control things from there.

So, somehow, the problem must be there between Tidal and Devialet that has not updated the AIR application in three years which is why I happen to be using an old Mac with releases from Yosemite to High Sierra to be sure that AIR plays its best with the OS.

Today, I set up a raspberry pi with Volumio in hopes of getting something that would take me to higher resolutions, but still allow me to sit at my couch for control. Unfortunately, Volumio only streams at 44.1khz/24bits and I think sometimes it switches to 48khz/24bits, but essentially gives me the MQA records without unfolding... Duhh!! Obviously as MQA is proprietary, Volumio is open source and anyway the Raspberry possibly would not have the muscle for the unfolding.

However... Given that I was in Volumio, I got a promo to sign-up to Qobuz "Studio" level. I really did not see much of a change. Still 44.1khz/24bits I think in the best case.

Now comes however the good surprise. I decided to download the Qobuz desktop app and decided to give a go to one of their hi-rez albums. I tried first an album that said 96khz/24bits and started playing. I then opened the Mac's Audio Midi Setup and to my surprise, the Devialet Air driver was streaming at 96khz/24bits. Hooray!!! I said, but then I wanted to investigate how far it would go up. I search again for Mark Knopfler Tracker's album.

Result? --> I am now listening the "Wherever I go" track at 192khz/24bits sitting on my couch Big Grin Cool Smile

Not sure how long this will last. I really hope Devialet would update their AIR application, but that is a long shot.
Amps: Devialet 200, Linn Majik DSi, Pioneer SC-91, Chord Hugo
Speakers: Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2, Tannoy XT6, Triangle Esprit Antal EZ
Headphones: AKG  K-501, Phillips SHP-9500, PSB-M4U, Sony SBH-80, Monster Wireless, Sony MDR-7506, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
Streamers: Sonos, OS-X Yosemite, El Capitan, High Sierra, Windows-8, Windows-10, Raspberry-Pi