Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Devialet dilemma
I'm currently in the market for an integrated amp for 2 channel listening and discovered the Devialet. I admit i was 1st intrigued by the looks but as i started reading more and more, I'm impressed with the reviews and tech behind these little amps.

I wish i could afford to buy the maxed out expert pro 1000 and call it a day but unfortunately my budget is more beer and deviled eggs than champagne and caviar. Im looking to be under 5k usd on this purchase.

I have been trying to peruse the Devialet website, but i do not find it very user friendly for trying to compare current and previous models. my main priority will be to make sure i don't make this purchase and find out i can't do everything i want to be able to do.

My current setup consists of: 
1) Marantz SR7012 avr (that i will be doing 10.1 auro 3d or 9.2 atmos as soon as i hook up these final 2 height speakers), 
2) My main speakers that i will be using as part of my 2 channel system are Kef LS50's. 
3) I have an OPPO 203 for movies and SACD (i do enjoy surround SACD's from time to time)
4) Apple TV for video and Apple Music subscription.
5) xbox and Playstations for gaming
6) Phono player WILL be added to the 2 channel system
7) Tidal or some other Hi RES streaming would be nice to do as well and would possibly replace the apple music subscription

so what i need help with is to make sure what ever i choose, that it will place nice with my 2 channel audio source listed items(#'s 2, 3, 4 and 6).

HT pass thru is a must, so that i can use my KEF's in both 2 channel and HT modes.  From what i can tell, all Devialets have this ability, so i think if i go with a 120 or 200 (non pro) or a 130/140 pro or 220 pro, i would be good to go for HT pass thru. If at some point I can create a 2 channel only listening room. I will likely buy a second set of LS50's or maybe upgrade to Focal Kanta's or Sopra line. 

for the Phono, it seems that the Devialet is an excellent and highly configurable phone stage that would support almost any MM or MC cart. is the Phono stage configurations the same on all models?

for streaming Hi Res music subscription. what is the best way to do this? do i Air Play from apple tv to the Devialet amp or use an older APPLE TV that has the optical audio out? I also have a few newer 4k models but they only have HDMI out and ethernet port. I think i understand that the newer PR CI's support uPnP but i think that is only for large network NAS type streaming, correct? if i am correct then it may not benefit me as i use subscription based services mostly and don't have a very large library of music. when i buy music I generally use the physical CD, SACD or LP to listen.

I have found a few online listing for new expert 130 pro in the low 4 k range. the listing states:

• PLEASE NOTE: The 140 is a 130 that was increased in power to 140 WITH A FIRMWARE UPDATE!!. These Core 130's can be changed to a 140 with the latest firmware update. FREE!! These Core 130’s include the Output Board ($595) which the 140 DOES NOT. 

does this mean that the expert 140 pros already have this board included or this particular seller only is throwing in on the 130's to make it more sattractive. also. is there any real difference between the 130 vs 140 except that the 130 had the firmware update that made it a 140? 

all of these differences really gives me information overload and I'm having trouble reconciling all the lingo to be honest. 

I have seen listing for "new" 120's in the low 3k range, but from what i have read and being future proof, it seems the Core13/140 option may be a better bargain for the extra 1k.

if I went with more power, i know i would have to go used. I have seem a used expert 200 (non pro) listed for just under 4k. this seems like it has potential to be the one. there is some cosmetic issues if you get up close. so I'm hesitant for this and also to make sure I wouldn't miss out from a 130/140 Pro CI vs a 200 non pro for about the same cost.  

what are the main differences between the 120 vs 130/140 pro ci vs a 200 (non pro)? when i tried to look myself it seems the 200 and up have extra set of inputs and the balanced input that the entry models do not. besides these inputs and the power rating are there any real differences?

thanks for any input and feedback as i try to straighten all of this out.

Mike
you should definitely go for a pro model with the CI board installed. You should be able to get a used 220pro for a good price. The 220pro make more sense for me than a 140pro because it simply drives more speakers. SOmetimes you can also get a used D-Premier that you can upgrade to a 250pro. Better looking and better quality remote.
Before deciding which one to buy you should consider this:
  • Will you intend to upgrade your speakers in the future? If yes I would recommend to buy Dev 200 or Dev Pro 220. It can drive mostly any speakers in the market.

Last month I was in the same situation and luckily a preowned Devialet 200 came up locally, I purchased it and never look back.
I have similar setup as yours and the Devialet works perfectly.
I can sell my DAC, Phono preamp, Network streamer, interconnects and power cables, my system is very simple, minimal and sounds amazingly good.
The Devialet 200 à ethernet cable à Router
Music server à ethernet cable à Router
Turntable à phono cable à Devialet
Apple TV à optical cable à Devialet
I also have PS4 but I use TV speakers for it, the Devialet is just for music

Plus with Spotify, Tidal or Apple Music app, everything can be controlled with your phone.
Because I have old model Devialet, I can only Airplay via AppleTV. If you buy Pro model with Core Infinity, you don’t have to.
Hello and welcome,

I cannot help with the multiple options for input, except to say that I use streaming from Tidal and Deezer most of the time, and I also stream ripped music from my iMac, and I have a turntable as well. All Expert and Pro amps have phono stages. With the SAM profile for the LS50 speakers, I am certain you will get the best from them. It is a well-regarded combination.

The 130 Pro and the 140 Pro are identical pieces of hardware, and the 130 becomes a full, authentic 140 with a software/ firmware upgrade. In the past, the 110 became the 120, and the 170 became a 200 in exactly the same way.

The D120 is a fine amplifier, but as it is the previous generation of hardware, it will have some upgrade limits unless upgraded to a 130/140 or 220 Pro via a complete hardware upgrade.

There is, to my ears, a valuable and substantial SQ improvement with the Pro series, so I would definitely go Pro rather than Expert. If power matters, the D220 Pro is likely to be a better long term amplifier. I, personally, would also opt for a D130/140 Pro rather than a D200 Expert. The expert can be upgraded, but it is not cheap. Likewise with a older D Premier; upgradeable but the cost will be significant.

They all have many inputs which are flexible and can be configured at outputs or inputs, so I don't think you'll run out of places to plug things in. That said, any sort of home theater thing can be problem inducing, at least according to some things I've read.

My set up is simple, and I've had no grief with hardware or software that has lingered. The Pro series is pretty solid, IMHO (yes, I'll get comments on this).

I don't know where you are, so the $'s you're using may not be the same for others here. Also, the Devialet sound is exceptional but absolutely not to everyone's personal preference. Search this forum for posts about systems that others have had. Many ex-Naim owners here.

Let us know what you find and what you think about your probable route.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Thanks for the replies so far. I forgot to mention that I am based in the US (Tampa, Florida). I have yet to see any Devialet dealers in the area, so if anyone knows where I can demo these things, that would be great.

So far, I think I’m leaning towards the 140 pro over the expert 120 and 200. Any ideas how long the upgrade program route would be an option if did end up going with one of the non pro models? If it comes down to cost being the #1 factor, I may have to go with a non pro model and upgrade a few years down the road, but if I happened to work out this deal with the 140 pro ci, I may be good for a while.

For those of you who have gone through the upgrade, do they do anything with the chrome cover (polish out any scratches or correct imperfections). The one expert 200 I have looked at has very minor imperfections but the plating on the “devialet” badge area looks to be coming off. So I was curious if they re-plated when you did the upgrade program. Or if not, do these covers come off easily? If they do. I could get it re-plated locally with black chrome, rose gold (to match my piano black/rose gold LS50), or rhodium if it didn’t cost me a kidney.
I live in North Carolina and bought my two 220 Expert Pros (to make a 440 Pro) from Craig Shumer at Theatermax.com.    He's now based in Boca Raton, Florida.   Great guy and quite knowledgeable. 

I would agree with other posters that going the Pro route is better long-term.   If funds are tight, the 140 Pro is a solid choice.  But in my opinion,  the 220 Pro is the sweet spot of the Devialet line.   

Give Craig a call (# on web site) and I'm certain he'll give you solid advice as well.

Best of luck!
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
I ended up finding a d200 with a year and 1/2 left of warranty for a good price, it should be here by the end of the week. The 220 CI’s were out of my price range at the moment, and I couldn’t find another 130/140 CI since the one was for sale for $3200 on audiogon. All the 120’s were being sold from 2800-3300 on audiogon and I didn’t see any value in getting a 120. The cost of a 120 used + the upgrade to the 140 would cost more than a brand new 140. My d200 + upgrade to a 220 pro ci will be about 2k cheaper than buying a new 220. So it made my decision based on my eventual plan to upgrade to the 220 CI. Thus concludes my reasoning for going with the d200...

Having said that, what kind of TT’s are you guys using with you ur Devialets? And do you find the internal phono stage to be up to the task? Wondering if anyone has compared to external phono stage?
(09-Dec-2018, 02:26)mmorrison55 Wrote: I ended up finding a d200 with a year and 1/2 left of warranty for a good price, it should be here by the end of the week. The 220 CI’s were out of my price range at the moment, and I couldn’t find another 130/140 CI since the one was for sale for $3200 on audiogon. All the 120’s were being sold from 2800-3300 on audiogon and I didn’t see any value in getting a 120. The cost of a 120 used + the upgrade to the 140 would cost more than a brand new 140. My d200 + upgrade to a 220 pro ci will be about 2k cheaper than buying a new 220. So it made my decision based on my eventual plan to upgrade to the 220 CI. Thus concludes my reasoning for going with the d200...

Having said that, what kind of TT’s are you guys using with you ur Devialets? And do you find the internal phono stage to be up to the task? Wondering if anyone has compared to external phono stage?

I was quite happy with the one in my 250. I am now on my third external phono stage, all of which have been in a 1000 -1500 price range, and still feel the one built into the Dev was very comparable.
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
I have tried 2 differnet external phono stages as well in a similair price range and feel the one in the Devialet is better quality, and in one case quieter!!!!!!!
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
I have a Devialet 130 Pro and ordered an Rothwell Headspace bec my AT 33PTGII has hiss and noise on the low output but the sound is very nice. Bef i had an Jolida JD9SE also there i had noise and hiss.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk