Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Frist Phantom - Refurbished vs New?
Wink 
Hey everyone,
I’am dreaming about getting a Phantom 1 for a long time now. Almost 5 years to be specific. I listened to quite a few of them over the years but my financial Situation never allowed me to purchase one until now. Since iam relatively tight on my budget I’am thinking about buying a refurbished Phantom 1 (103dB) from Devialet. 

My question to you is concerning the differences of the refurbished version and the current New Phantom 1.
From the devialet page I could see that the refurbished one does not come with a remote, it also seems to have a different processor and no led indicator at the back. Since the price difference is quite large (about 600€) iam wondering about the more specific differences between the two.
Since the information from devialet is quite small about the topic and because this is a big investment for my modest terms I want to make sure to not make a mistake.
I would be happy if someone more knowledgeable could explain me the differences/ pros and cons of the devices.

I would be more than happy to get an answer.

Kind regards, Manuel
Hi

From a sound perspective, you will not experience any difference between the classic phantom and the phantom I 103 dB.
I have a phantom gold and a phantom I 108 dB and the sound is exactly the same.

However, the new version will boot faster and more future proof.
The new models are also a lot more energy efficient.

Best regards
(16-Feb-2023, 15:58)Memphis_1984 Wrote: Hi

From a sound perspective, you will not experience any difference between the classic phantom and the phantom I 103 dB.

Best regards

Thank you for the response. Another question I have is concerning the extended warranty. Are the phantoms generally reliable or would you recommend getting the extended warranty. Kind regards, Manuel
(16-Feb-2023, 19:10)Mjmeckstein Wrote:
(16-Feb-2023, 15:58)Memphis_1984 Wrote: Hi

Best regards

Thank you for the response. Another question I have is concerning the extended warranty. Are the phantoms generally reliable or would you recommend getting the extended warranty. Kind regards, Manuel

I haven’t had my phantoms long enough to answer that question.

However I have generally gotten very good help from their service department.
if your budget is tight I recommend to get Phantom ii
you still will be satisfied, but it is much better to have 2 small phantoms instead of 1 phantom large
Agreed, definitely go for a stereo pair.
(16-Feb-2023, 19:10)Mjmeckstein Wrote: Thank you for the response. Another question I have is concerning the extended warranty. Are the phantoms generally reliable or would you recommend getting the extended warranty. Kind regards, Manuel

I am still using my Phantom Golds (predecessor to 108 dB) bought 2017 when I traded in my Classics. The only problems I have had in that time have been software-related, no hardware reliability issues here and from reading the threads here for the last 5 years my impression is that is true across the board.

Agree with the others above, if refurb enables you to go for stereo do it. Otherwise the differences are small and non-functional (i.e. they sound the same).

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(17-Feb-2023, 17:28)struts Wrote:
(16-Feb-2023, 19:10)Mjmeckstein Wrote: Thank you for the response. Another question I have is concerning the extended warranty. Are the phantoms generally reliable or would you recommend getting the extended warranty. Kind regards, Manuel

I am still using my Phantom Golds (predecessor to 108 dB) bought 2017 when I traded in my Classics.  The only problems I have had in that time have been software-related, no hardware reliability issues here and from reading the threads here for the last 5 years my impression is that is true across the board.

Agree with the others above, if refurb enables you to go for stereo do it.  Otherwise the differences are small and non-functional (i.e. they sound the same).

Good luck!

Thank you for all the answers. I bought one of the refurbished Phantom 1s. I didnt go for a stereo pair of 2s because i wouldlike to keep the door open to buy another P1 sometime down the line to eventually have a stereo pair of those. At the moment iam waiting for the package to arrive. Could not be more excited!!
(19-Feb-2023, 13:40)Mjmeckstein Wrote:
(17-Feb-2023, 17:28)struts Wrote:

I am still using my Phantom Golds (predecessor to 108 dB) bought 2017 when I traded in my Classics.  The only problems I have had in that time have been software-related, no hardware reliability issues here and from reading the threads here for the last 5 years my impression is that is true across the board.

Agree with the others above, if refurb enables you to go for stereo do it.  Otherwise the differences are small and non-functional (i.e. they sound the same).

Good luck!

Thank you for all the answers. I bought one of the refurbished Phantom 1s. I didnt go for a stereo pair of 2s because i wouldlike to keep the door open to buy another P1 sometime down the line to eventually have a stereo pair of those. At the moment iam waiting for the package to arrive. Could not be more excited!!
Hi. If you can, get the second refurb unit sooner than later. It would be close to the internal specs of the first refurb you bought. Trust me, a stereo set will open your music-listening world. I bought a pair of refurb Phantoms I. I noticed one unit plays warmer to the touch than the other. This is not a defect. One of the refurbs is a bit older than the other, and is not as energy efficient. Other than that, they play brilliantly. Cheers.
2 Channel Power / Signal Path: APC H15 → Mistral Audio W-3900 → Custom Roon Server → Silent Angel Bonn N8 → Silent Angel Forester F1 → miniDSP SHD Studio → Mutec MC-3+ USB → Devialet Phantom I 108dB

Headphone iFi Audio iDSD Signature → Grado GS1000i