Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
My Phantom Golds Arrive Friday!!!!!!!
(04-Aug-2016, 03:26)Adams Wrote: If you were to compare your golds against the silvers at a volume of 70 would you say the golds are any louder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, Gold's are significantly louder. That actually made it a pain in the ass, because when you turn up all speakers in a whole house situation, it didn't feel like they turned up evenly.

Haven't tested enough and traveling on business at the moment... so I'm going from memory. 

In my living room (which is pretty large) I couldn't go past 60 on the Gold's without it being painful to listen to  Big Grin
(04-Aug-2016, 04:17)dkoretz Wrote:
(04-Aug-2016, 03:26)Adams Wrote: If you were to compare your golds against the silvers at a volume of 70 would you say the golds are any louder?

In my living room (which is pretty large) I couldn't go past 60 on the Gold's without it being painful to listen to  Big Grin

Thanks. I have a small living area and often find myself wanting that bit more bass out of my silvers at 70 so it sounds like some golds might do the job for me.

Is it painful to listen to because it is too loud? Or because the frequency distribution has peaks?

Generally for most speakers without undue peaks at particular frequencies, one can turn the speaker louder and not feel discomfort. But of course, even without any peaks, speakers can indeed get uncomfortable if they get loud enough.
(04-Aug-2016, 23:47)MountainGuy Wrote: Is it painful to listen to because it is too loud?  Or because the frequency distribution has peaks?

Generally for most speakers without undue peaks at particular frequencies, one can turn the speaker louder and not feel discomfort.  But of course, even without any peaks, speakers can indeed get uncomfortable if they get loud enough.

The floor-to-ceiling glass creates significant bounce, so when you get past 70 on the Gold's it's just plain too loud for the space.

I didn't mean I was actually in pain, but if I didn't turn it down, my girlfriend might solve that  Undecided
(05-Aug-2016, 16:13)dkoretz Wrote:
(04-Aug-2016, 23:47)MountainGuy Wrote: Is it painful to listen to because it is too loud?  Or because the frequency distribution has peaks?

Generally for most speakers without undue peaks at particular frequencies, one can turn the speaker louder and not feel discomfort.  But of course, even without any peaks, speakers can indeed get uncomfortable if they get loud enough.

The floor-to-ceiling glass creates significant bounce, so when you get past 70 on the Gold's it's just plain too loud for the space.

I didn't mean I was actually in pain, but if I didn't turn it down, my girlfriend might solve that 
Ah yes, the stiletto in the goolies, suboptimal for appreciation of sound quality. Sad
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Yes, Gold's are significantly louder. That actually made it a pain in the ass, because when you turn up all speakers in a whole house situation, it didn't feel like they turned up evenly.

Haven't tested enough and traveling on business at the moment... so I'm going from memory. 

dkoretz, thanks for your feedback!

Are the Golds (volume) good for brain music? You know, music that doesn't need to be loud? Do the Golds sound louder too, at low volumes, compared to the Silvers?

Thanks!
(05-Aug-2016, 16:52)Dvlt PhD Wrote:

dkoretz, thanks for your feedback!

Are the Golds (volume) good for brain music? You know, music that doesn't need to be loud? Do the Golds sound louder too, at low volumes, compared to the Silvers?

Thanks!

I mostly listen to music fairly quietly as ambient background, so I would say yes. The only thing is that I personally feel like the Devialet's (both Gold and Silver) don't really shine until they are at 35-40 or so. Below that the nuance is lost on me. 

The Golds definitely sound louder to me at equivalent volumes, but to be honest I haven't had enough time with them. I started traveling for work. Will enjoy them more when I'm back mid next week.
Hi all
Thanks for this forum which provided great insight when we decided to buy our 2 silvers.
Loved the silvers, but I had bought them a few days before the golds were announced. I loved the silvers so much that I didn't think about changing them until I saw that the specs were physically different, new adh and titanium tweeter. Also read an article where a guy from Devialet said that they completely redesigned some components. That's when my wife and I we decided to upgrade to golds.
We got them yesterday evening from Harrods and our first impression was yeah they look good. The gold is a very nice touch and it looks good.
The second impression was when we started playing music and yes it is crisper, sharper (and louder). For us it was a difference that we both felt. Our setup is different, rectangular living room of 25 m2. At a lower volume it sounds more refined. While we were listening at 30-35 with the silvers I am now at 20-25 as it is now louder but also at this level it is crisp and it feels good. These are only our very initial impressions but I can tell you now that we don't regret upgrading to the golds.
Great feedback, guys. Thanks.
Gold owners!
Any more comparison to Silver or other observations?