Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Phantom voyage
Lightbulb 
Oh, the joy of failing!
The newly dented woofer was a nightmare to adjust. I believe the placement of the dent altered the voice of coil and it has taken a slightly not circular shape, in loss of better words. At adjustment number one too much I thought I had it. My Woofer Test Facility, short WTF, was running hot and Roon asked me if I really wanted to hear the 20hz test tone again. Here's an action picture of my tired WTF and a lot of clutter. 

After nailing the adjustment, next on the menu was fitting the rubber sealings. A quick comparison with the original one made me believe the 3 mm cord would suffice. Here you can see glue and silicone in unholy matrimony.

I got impatient and removed the masking tape. 

Bring on the other side! 
I bought 2 meters of silicone gasket. Here's how much that was left after fixing both sides. Pure luck I had enough. 

The rest of the the assembly was straight forward. The broken and glued woofer mount broke loose again, but apart from that detail everything was smoothish going. 

Do you think 3mm was a bit too much?

In version 2.0 I'll definitely use 2mm gaskets. It's air tight with 3mm but the panel gap looks like the ones on a British car in the seventies, butt ugly.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
So not a real failure, but more a rehearsal and stepping stone towards success and perfection.

Keep it up!

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(31-Oct-2021, 10:29)Jean-Marie Wrote: So not a real failure, but more a rehearsal and stepping stone towards success and perfection.

Keep it up!

Jean-Marie

Thanks for the uplifting feedback! 
I didn't tell the whole story though. The newly dented woofer is still making terrible noises while mounted in the speaker, but I can't reproduce it with my WTF regardless angle on the woofer. The other woofer sounds all right but there's an air leak between the chassis and woofer so I have use some sealant to get it air tight. 

A couple of pictures of the Frankenphantom test. Isn't she a beauty? You barely notice the duckt tape. 

My Phantom Voyage
To my disappointment even my Hulk Hogan powers can't push out the dent til newly dented woofer. It's really hard to reach from the back and the aluminium is surprisingly sturdy.

A new tool is needed. This beautiful dent puller kit is on its way from China to Norway. ETA is eventually, so hopefully I'll receive it this year.

If it works, it will be a bonus.
My Phantom Voyage
Version 1.0.0.1 of the Frankenphantom is up and running!
The news are:
2mm gaskets

It sure looks a lot better. No British panel gap anymore. 

I also reversed the woofers to their original placement. In v1 I accidentally swapped left and right woofer, and I faintly remembered from another project that the some drivers doesn't like to be turned upside down after some years in one position.

All back to normal. 

How does it sound? 
The newly dented woofer doesn't sound like a grinder anymore. That's a relief. The broken woofer mount snapped again after I glued it a second time, making an air leak between the chassis and the woofer. The 2mm gaskets are too thin, making the Frankenphantom into a nice little wind machine when cranking up the volume. So there will definitely be a Frankenphantom V1.0.0.2. Stay tuned!
My Phantom Voyage
Frankenphantom V1.0.0.2 is here!
Removing the washers you can see in the pictures to get the a tighter fit of the egg shells was the first thing I tried. 

It didn't work at all. The next step was using another gasket. I had a 3 mm rubber foam sealing at hand. 

To my surprise, it worked! Now I have to figure out how to seal the leak around the woofers, yes in plural, I found another leak, without using a lot of silicone, Tec7 or something else that's hardly reversible. V1.0.0.3 is up next.
My Phantom Voyage
Maybe we are getting an hint why Devialet considers them not fixable: Il looks more like craftsmanship to repair them than an industrial process, therefore it is probably much more effective for them 'just to swap them'.

Anyway, don't give up, and maybe with a bit less damaged woofers, you would not get as much leaks from them.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
@Jean-Marie
Thanks! No worries, I'm not giving up. The leak is where the body parts meets the woofers. The woofer has rubber gasket which should secure an air tight seal with the speaker body, but sometimes it doesn't. The dents in the woofers have fortunately nothing to do with the air leak.

Another reason for the air leaks is the broken woofer mount.

Gluing it is to no avail, it snaps every time I'll try to fasten the body part and woofer to the chassis. The solution I came up with was to drill a hole through the broken part and make threads in the new hole. 

I glued the part in place, again, and secured it from the outside with a 40mm M4 bolt. 

A nut fastens the woofer to the bolt. It works like a charm. The air leak is gone. The bolt is hidden under the side panels when they are mounted. 

One interesting observation is that the dummy speaker doesn't have the recessions/holes in the body panels, but the wrecked Phantom Gold does. Seems like there's been a design change at some point.
My Phantom Voyage
With the woofers more or less air tight another problem has emerged. There's a new air leak between the chassis and the mended body panel. The other side is still air tight. The problem area is about here:

There's a slight difference in the panel gaps as you can see, it might be due to me fastening the other side first, I don't know. Anyway, I'll have to take the speaker apart again and reassemble it in reverse order too see if that helps. I've also ordered 2.5 mm and 2.65 mm rubber gaskets to the see if that fixes the issue. They should be on their way from Ireland as we speak.
My Phantom Voyage
While waiting for the new rubber sealings I attempted a second try on sealing the woofers.

There's a big chance for the need for a third try.
My Phantom Voyage